Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-14 Publishing TheHelp BlackTalk

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 10:50:26
End: 12:55:29
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, bbenn, BBENN, freeaainnc, jhonora, keli1, Khathu, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

jhonora: Good Morning BBen

BBENN: Hello Jhonora I sent you an email message about the Michell and Aime family. I did find out that Paul Aime and Victoria were from Port Vincent and French Settlement in Livingston Parish.

jhonora: Yes, I received it. I'm sorry I didn't reply. I know a Valcour Aime descendant who is researching Aime. I will check with him about what he knows.

BBENN: Paul is listed in the 1870 as coming from Africa. He is also in the History of Livingston Parish book as the only African documented in the Parish.

jhonora: Where does the Lobell family originate?

BBENN: French Settlement Do you know about the Lobell's? What are you working on lately?

jhonora: I actually had never seen that name before.

BBENN: Big name in Livingston Parish.

jhonora: By the way, are you the Mrs. Bennett who was featured on Antoinette Harrell Miller's show?

BBENN: yes Did you see the show in NOLA?

jhonora: Yes, I know Ms. Antoinette, I was on her show twice before Katrina.

BBENN: Interesting! That was about 6 years ok?

jhonora: It was at the beginning of 2005. I know that following Peter Clark on his homesteading journey was fascinating.

BBENN: what are you working on now? Thanks, glad that you liked it. I still have parts 2 and 3 to add to the story.

jhonora: I am working on a history of the Knights of Peter Claver. Also my Pierce and DuBose families

BBENN: Wow! The Knights of Peter Claver. That should be very interesting. I have just completed an article about meeting the slave owner descendants of my family.

jhonora: It is a fascinating 102-year story which I hope to have published by 2013.

BBENN: Where will you publish your story?

jhonora: Which family's descendants were those?/

BBENN: Are you majoring in History?

jhonora: We are considering Xavier Press, Cathedral Press, or U.L.L.

BBENN: My father's side of the Family - Kemp surname.

jhonora: Yes, I am a history major at Tulane. Are the Kemps from Louisiana?

BBENN: Wonderful! You will have an long and enjoyable career. No, SC.

jhonora: The Upcountry or Lowcountry?

BBENN: Upcountry. Most of the Louisiana Kemps are from SC. Maternal side are all from LA.

jhonora: My g-g-g-grandmother was from Chester Co., SC.

BBENN: Is that up or lowcountry?

jhonora: It is up above Columbia

BBENN: Ok, have you done any research in SC? I have gone to Columbia to the genealogy conferences and conducted research at the SC Archives.

jhonora: No, but I did find great info in the Digital Library on American Slavery.

BBENN: Have you come across any records on individuals with the Youngblood surname in Lousiana? Information about your family on the Digital Library on American Slavery? SC is an interesting place to search. The SC Archives has a lot of information on-line. I wonder where is everybody this morning? Is this your last year at Tulane?

jhonora: This is my junior year

BBENN: Another exciting school year! How do find time to do your research and study? It is so wonderful to find someone at your age interested in genealogy? Most conferences are full of old folks..lol Have you tried to encourage your colleagues and friends to get involve in genealogy research?

jhonora: I research on Saturdays if I can, and sometimes on Friday afternoons.

Seventies Soulchild: good morning all... wow a new interface! love it!

BBENN: Hello seventies soulchild!

jhonora: I think that if genealogy were a part of the Amer. Hist. curriculum it would interest a lot of people. Good Morning 70s!

Seventies Soulchild: hi jhonora, hi BBENN

BBENN: I agree. I have a friend who presented a curriculum on genealogy a couple of years ago in Washington, DC.

Seventies Soulchild: jhonora how are things going with you? I know you've been busy this summer.

BBENN: Somebody must be introducing genealogy in the school curriculum somewhere...we just need to see it promoted. 70's what have yu been up to lately?

jhonora: I'm doing well. Have been calling all over the country the last few days speaking with descendants of early leaders of the organization whose history I'm writing.

Seventies Soulchild: Schmoozing at work.. lol We had a bbq yesterday for work.

BBENN: Either of you heading to Little Rock next month or Ft. Wayne? bbq, that sounds like fun!

Seventies Soulchild: It was nice. An opprotunity to network.

BBENN: networking..oh yes, I remember that word. lol Just kidding - I am retired.

Seventies Soulchild: I volunteered for this diversity conference at work. Soooo I'll be working on that. Bringing my own personal expertise to the table.

freeaainnc: hi!

Seventies Soulchild: The school I work at is finally realizing that they may need to be the leader in diversity. lol But this has been going on at other universities and colleges for some time now.

jhonora: Diversity conference, I'm sure you will bring a great historical and contemporary viewpoint

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks BBENN and jhonora. hi freeaainnc!

BBENN: what made the finally realise the they may need to be the leader? Any significant event?

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know... it was announced at our picnic.

BBENN: interesting. no lawsuits on the horizon? freeaainnc - what are your working on?

Seventies Soulchild: No, no lawsuits.

BBENN: That's good.

freeaainnc: hi bbenn. right now working on an article about laws regarding free people of color in antebellum nc

Seventies Soulchild: That should be interesting.

BBENN: Sounds interesting! Where will you publish this article?

freeaainnc: NC Genealogical Society Journal

Seventies Soulchild: freeaainnc, could you post a link to the blog again? Thanks, the NC blog

BBENN: Great!

freeaainnc: it would be my first article published my blog? or my library's blog?

Seventies Soulchild: really? I thought you were an old pro at this. :)

freeaainnc: nope SS lol

BBENN: I am polishing up my citations on an article I wrote on meeting the slave owner descendants of my family in SC.

Seventies Soulchild: well both... :)

freeaainnc: wow, that's cool

Seventies Soulchild: What was that like BBENN?

freeaainnc: lol SS. just sec and let me get them

Seventies Soulchild: I e-mailed the overseers or as they referred to their ancestor 'plantation manager' lol once. And I was not nice. Rather, they e-mailed me and the response was not nice.

BBENN: It was really interesting. She knew who we were before we knew who she was and then we saw the papers with my gggrandfather sold for $400. Shock, sad, accepting...moving on...

freeaainnc: my blog: http://freeaainnc.blogspot.com/ library's blog: http://statelibrarync.wordpress.com/

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks freeaainnc

freeaainnc: Also, the state library is asking for help from the public to help transcribe family bibles for digitization

BBENN: I describe the entire encounter in my article. I published the fist story back in 2005 and then decided to write another story.

jhonora: Good Morning alt!

freeaainnc: I posted a link to that in the States forum for NC if you are interested. anyone can help and it's all online so it doesn't matter where you live

Seventies Soulchild: my family's worth was $1700, mother, father, two girls. Their grandfather didn't even have a value.

BBENN: hi alt

alt: good morning y'all

freeaainnc: hi alt

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning, alt

freeaainnc: ss how do you know their value?

BBENN: the first group consisting of mother, father and three children- $1,986..that was in 1830. In 1844 the child was sold for $400.

Seventies Soulchild: I ordered the records a couple of years ago from LSU. And further research into the family this summer helped with this.

freeaainnc: ordered what records?

Seventies Soulchild: I did some record analysis.

freeaainnc: ok, cool

BBENN: The value was listed in the slave inventory for sale...I have wills, deeds and equity papers.

alt: is this a new window for the chat room?

freeaainnc: oh, ok bbenn, thanks

Seventies Soulchild: I ordered from the LSU special collections. Ellis-Farrar families. They owned them about 4 generations

freeaainnc: apparently so alt

Seventies Soulchild: yes nice isn't it alt

freeaainnc: yeah

alt: sorry to cut off the discussion.... please continue

BBENN: The planters kept detailed records. The slaves are listed with the farm equipment, kitchen utensils and animals.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh they must've owned quite a few places, BBENN. These people who owned my family owned about 4 plantations in SW MS and LA

BBENN: Some of the records provide the names and ages of each slave.

freeaainnc: wow hi khathu

Seventies Soulchild: jhonora, the Ellis-Farrars also owned Evergreen plantation in New Orleans.

Khathu: good morning from sunny phoenix, az

BBENN: hi kathua

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Khathu. Its raining here thanks for rubbing it in... lol

freeaainnc: raining here too, but we need it! lol

Khathu: anytime seventies

BBENN: I need information on the Coxe Plantation in Louisiana. I am told that it is the same plantation as LIVE OAK. also raining here..we need it.

alt: good morning Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: We don't.... lol we just had a bad storm here last week....

BBENN: khathu, what are you working on?

Seventies Soulchild: That name sounds famliar BBENN. Have you looked it up? I think jhonora has left us... :)

freeaainnc: after this heat streak this summer, all the grass has been burnt to a crisp

Seventies Soulchild: I thought you all would've gotten some rain from that t ropical storm. Emily right?

freeaainnc: welcome back

Seventies Soulchild: @freeaainnc

freeaainnc: not in raleigh

Seventies Soulchild: oh

freeaainnc: probably on the coast, but we'

Seventies Soulchild: aaahhhhh

freeaainnc: we're too far west

Khathu: i've haven't done much genealogy lately however i am working on a couple of articles for genealogical journals and societies

Seventies Soulchild: congrats!

freeaainnc: sounds like 3 of us are doing that lol you, me, and bbenn

bbenn: what topics? just curious...I love to hear what other's are working on...it serves as an incentive to keep on writing.

jhonora: Evergreen is great plantation, 70s

alt: freeaainnc, another descendant from a Pettiford line contacted me this past week.... her line did the NC to Ohio to Indiana and back to Ohio thing beginning in the 1840's.

jhonora: The Ellis Farrars are related closely to the Kenners.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok, by marriage jhonora?

bbenn: I think that I have pictures of Evergreen. Isn't it on the web?

freeaainnc: oh! cool! let them know about me if they need help with NC

jhonora: I think so, I know Duncan Kenner, was Duncan Farrar Kenner.

alt: okay freeaainnc, will do just that.

Seventies Soulchild: okay. My family's last owners were Benj and Mary Farrar's daughter Ann Eliza and her husband Dr. W.N. Mercer After Benj died, Dr. Mercer managed all of the MS plantations.

Khathu: slave era research using in-direct evidence, reconnecting families separated during slavery, and provening identity

Seventies Soulchild: He brought his friend in Wilmer shields to assist with the management, jhonora

Khathu: those are the topics of the articles

alt: Farrar's ..... could they be from the VA Farrar's of the late 1700's? Goochland County, VA.... they were French Huegenot's.

Seventies Soulchild: Khathu, when you are done writing your slave era research guide... please send me a copy... :) I have some folks that

freeaainnc: wow Khathu, that sounds great! would love to read them! especially using indirect evidence and proving identity

Seventies Soulchild: appear on the 1870 census for Adams Co. that I believe are relations based on the slave inventories and informal records. Any assistance or insight would be very appreciated.

freeaainnc: wb bbenn here is some velcro [ ] [ ] hehe

Khathu: My friend and I are planning on creating a slave era research guide for the Central Maryland AHGS Chapter

freeaainnc: that's great khathu

bbenn: I keep touching something lol

Seventies Soulchild: really alt? From the public history that I know of the Farrar's, they settled immediately in the LA territory.

Khathu: send me the records seventies and i can take a look at it

bbenn: khathu, I need to join that group.

Seventies Soulchild: ok Khathu

Khathu: we can talk later then

bbenn: when is your next meeting? I attended the Libation ceremony in March.

Khathu: i think the next meeting is in september

jhonora: I believe that the Farrars were Huguenots

bbenn: Thanks

alt: yes Seventies Soulchild, I have a Peter Farrar married to a Trepenah LaForce in Goochland Co., Va .... 10 Sep 1766

Khathu: i think i told you about it bbenn if i am not mistaken.

Seventies Soulchild: hmmm I wonder if he was related to Benjamin Farrar?? Interesting. Let me check my notes.

bbenn: signing off. I enjoyed chatting with everyone. Jhonora, have a successful school year and I look forward to reading your book.

alt: from Goochland Co., VA some of the Farrar's went to Chatham Co., NC and from ther I have no idea.

AYWalton: Good morning, all.

Khathu: a/

AYWalton: Howdy alt, free, khathu, SoulChile.

jhonora: Good morning AYWalton!

alt: hello AYWalton & good morning to ya.

Seventies Soulchild: Remember I was saying a while back that I was told that Charles Rounds & his mother came from Goochland Co., Richmond, VA?

Khathu: Hello AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton

AYWalton: jhonora, did I see that you are working on a book?

jhonora: Yeah, the same I've mentioned a few times on the knights

AYWalton: ahhh ok. How is the work progressing? khathu did you and daviss get to speak?

Khathu: I saw The Help on Friday. It was pretty good.

AYWalton: I hope to see it this week.

Seventies Soulchild: I missed the discussion last night, but I did see AYWalton's tweet on it this morning....

jhonora: It is coming along well. I received a picture of Mr. Eustace Pilgrim recently, who was an early grand knight in Baltimore.

Khathu: Yes, I did AYWalton. We have a tentative schedule to meet today

AYWalton: oh that's great!!! how did you get the photo, jhonora?

jhonora: From a Pilgrim family member

Khathu: She gave me the name of a Barber on Friday.

AYWalton: Oh that reminds me, I finally have Mrs. Callum's number a new one. that's wonderful! will email it to you.

jhonora: He was the caretaker for decades at St. Mary's College/Seminary

AYWalton: oh really? that is interesting, to know, jhonora.

Seventies Soulchild: Tell daviss hello!

Khathu: i will

AYWalton: do the KP folks have emblems on their headstones like some of the other organizations, jhonora?

Khathu: i am sleepy. i haven't adjusted to this time zone yet

alt: jhonora's 'friend" from Tulane Melissa Harris-Perry (?) gave a 'scathing' review of "The Help".

AYWalton: I know what you mean, but khathu it is noon here, so you should be wide awake and bouncy!!!

jhonora: That was proposed as early as the 20s but never done.

AYWalton: of course your sleeping pattern is all confused now.

Seventies Soulchild: that's what I was thinking AYWalton.. lol

AYWalton: I think I saw that.

Seventies Soulchild: alt, I read a scathing review also... from the Ladner blog. I think that's the name of it.

AYWalton: Some of the ladies need to take a chill pill----just because LBJ signed the Civil Rights act in 1964---did not take the maids out of houses. Many folks still do days work.

Khathu: I think people are failing to remember it is a novel told from the perspective of a white author.

AYWalton: and their stories are worth telling. exactly! and in fact---I have been following the threads on Twitter, and TONS of black folks come out singing praises for the film.

Seventies Soulchild: From the reviews I've read I think that's the thing that makes them mad! lol

Khathu: well then they should write a book and make a film

alt: Movies will do that... Until the Lion's have their own historians the hunt will always glorify the Hunter" ....

freeaainnc: so true Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: touche

AYWalton: of course they are not from the hallowed halls, and the sistas in the ivy covered towers need to pause and understand, that many regular folks and those who have mothers and grandmothers who were maids are not quite as offended!

Khathu: alt - the problem is that most of us would never consider writing something like this

alt: yep Khathu, that's for sure.

jhonora: alt, the Assoc. of Black Wom. Hist was mad!

Khathu: especially on this topic and even if we did many of us wouldn't support it.

Seventies Soulchild: Perhaps, but believe that it was a very important historical topic within the black community.

AYWalton: there is a class divide going on in our own neighborhood and the sistas in the tower are bemoaning something the the members of the family are not bemoaning. and what has come out---has been the abuses---small AND large. and often times the small abuses---the daily indignities---these need to be shared!

Seventies Soulchild: Maids and butlers, in my own experiences, were praised as being the people who were on the front lines getting information during the Civil Rights movement.

Khathu: The Assn of Black Women Historians issue a statement condeming the film and book which I think is absolutely ludacris

AYWalton: quite true. they are the unsung heroes!

Khathu: it is not a historical film or documentary

AYWalton: Yes, I saw that one first then I saw the review from the Tulane professor.

Seventies Soulchild: and I've talked to some of my own family members about this who live in AL and many were very sympathetic to the plight of maids.

AYWalton: But Fiction has a role!

alt: wasn't Storm Thurmond's "mixed" daughter the "hit' of the season a few years back... and she was a result of exactly the abuses only hinted about in The Help.

Seventies Soulchild: right, AND this didn't just go on in the south, but also in the Northern cities.

AYWalton: Yes it is fiction----things that never happened to people who never lived----BUT----------Uncle Tom's Cabin opened the eyes of lots of indifferent people to the horrors of slavery.

Khathu: I liked the book and the film

AYWalton: To Kill a Mockingbird, opened the eyes of the world to the south and its prejudices.

alt: wherever there were AA domestic's Seventies Soulchild North, south, East or West in the good old US of A.

AYWalton: I think that we need to pause and appreciate what fiction can do. works of fiction do matter!!!

Khathu: And what did Hattie MacDonald say - I rather play a maid than be one

AYWalton: there are untold stories of abuse of power---and we see them. Strom Thurmond---took advantage of a 14 year old maid.

Seventies Soulchild: yes alt, also there have been scandals in the last few years where there were people doing the same thing to Au Pairs right here in NYC and some of these surrounding suburbs.

Khathu: i have only one problem with the film though

AYWalton: That is called rape in many states-------and he was revered for years, till he died.

Khathu: who read the book

freeaainnc: I did

AYWalton: Look at the current scandal of the day----

Seventies Soulchild: I think that's what's upsetting so many people AYWalton.

AYWalton: the Governor of California had a CHILD with The Help!

Seventies Soulchild: LOL AYWalton... forgot about that!

alt: I'm having problems with UGRR historians NOT speaking to the role played by FPOC in that movement. let alone the Civil War.

AYWalton: and these days Mammy's name is now Maria, or Conchita. what is the upsetting part, S SoulChile? I missed it.

Khathu: Seventies - we are very sensitive to issues pertaining to pre-integration here in the U.S.

Seventies Soulchild: They bring undocumented workers in AYWalton from all over the world. A black couple was arrested for bringing a girl over from Africa to be their maid.

AYWalton: ah yes, that does happen.

Seventies Soulchild: He was a minister, I agree with that Khathu

AYWalton: and TONS of Nigerians have brought over "relatives" who are really house girls, and they labor as slaves. I know of a Nigerian doctor--female doctor---who had two slaves here in MD.

freeaainnc: khathu - what is your 1 problem with the movie?

AYWalton: The slaves eventually emancipated themselves.

Seventies Soulchild: AYWalton, the fact that a complete picture of all the issues weren't brought up.

AYWalton: One ran away and the other had a green card marriage, and got out.

Khathu: i don't want to say if people haven't read the book

freeaainnc: hi keli

AYWalton: howdy keli1!

Seventies Soulchild: That's sad AYWalton.

jhonora: Good morning keli1

AYWalton: Good to see you.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi keli1

keli1: Good afternoon to all!

freeaainnc: Khathu tell me in a message. I have

alt: hello keli1.. how are things in "ole virginny"?

keli1: they are OLD.....

freeaainnc: lol keli

AYWalton: I was wondering if the historians who did not like the book/film were uncomfortable with the story focusing on maids, in general. I keep asking myself if they are being a bit elitist.

keli1: I am trying to decide if I will drive to Michigan (stopping in Ohio) or take train....

AYWalton: when are you traveling, keli1?

Khathu: I saw a movie called Slave that dealt with the enslavement of African by Arabs in Sudan. It was based on a true story

keli1: I am thinking of 8/31 to 9/7

Seventies Soulchild: When my grandmother came to NY she eventually took a job as a maid. I didn't know this until I became an adult. She hid it from us.

AYWalton: well the Arabian slave trades was as brutal if not more horrific than the Atlantic slave trade.

Khathu: it is reported that there are over 50,000 enslaved African in England today

AYWalton: I can believe that. and many are enslaved by their own folks. they go back home, get a child from some village, or an illiterate woman from a village, and bring her to UK, or USA.

Seventies Soulchild: I believe it Khathu. And let's not forget Saudi Arabia. . . they lure dark skinned people there from Islamic countries to be enslaved. Something I've seen with my own eyes.

AYWalton: plus I have seen the indifference that many folks have to those who have less. I saw that myself in Nigeria.

keli1: as in today Khathu, meaning still enslaved?

Khathu: being kidnapped and being enslaved

AYWalton: I saw people begging for food and asking if they could eat the items off the plates that people were finished with at an outdoor outing. And they gave them their plates of unfinished food while young teenagers ate the food. So very sad.

alt: do those enslaved in the middle east become "chattel' and are there children, if they have them born into a life of slavery?

Seventies Soulchild: If you ever see those people, its like there is a posture they have and a demeanor as if they've been broken... very sad to see. But what can you say if you're in a foreign country? And you're a woman?

alt: there=their

AYWalton: and I have told the story to Nigerians here, and one man just shrugged and said, "I don't even see them," meaning they are there, but not people who matter.

Seventies Soulchild: yes thanks alt.

AYWalton: that was very troubling.

Seventies Soulchild: That is troubling.

Khathu: they are enslaved and sent to other parts of the world including the U.S.

alt: Seventies Soulchild, your 'yes' was in answer to my question?

keli1: extremely troubling

AYWalton: I hope to see The Help this week, though.

Seventies Soulchild: no, thought it was a grammar correction... but to your question. Yes there is generational slavery. This is based on information I've come across.

Khathu: let me know what you think and i will share with you i issue with the film...it is a very small but crucial detail that was left out

keli1: I have an uncle still alive in Michigan born in Meridan Ms, don't know the exact year, he is 90 something, still cannot look a white person in the face, no eye to eye contact

AYWalton: how sad, keli1 you should blog about that or make a video about it or something. there are probably many people still living like that.

Seventies Soulchild: Absolutely, AYWalton. Which is troubling too.

AYWalton: khathu which detail was left out? you mean from the book that was not in the film?

Khathu: that was left out of the film but was in the book

Seventies Soulchild: oh you may as well tell it now... lol

keli1: oh yes, he can talk a lot of stuff, till someone white person appears, he retired from GM, so sad, it is a total personality change, also he married as white as he could, and I would love to study that, even though his wife was mulatto

AYWalton: I have read the book, but not yet seen the film---go ahead---I am curious myself, now. how interesting, keli1

keli1: yes that would be a great study on the generational aspects

Khathu: i sent it to you in a private message

keli1: 70s bring it out oops Khathu, I have seen the movie and reading the book

freeaainnc: I need to go all. good convo today, enlightening

Seventies Soulchild: have a great day Free

keli1: bye freeaainnc

AYWalton: take care, free.

freeaainnc: bye :)

keli1: well I am waiting to hear, lol...

AYWalton: I wonder fi there should be a response to the ivory tower ladies---the historian who are so mad about the movie. they were truly indignant, while those who have seen it are not upset.

keli1: I ignore those aspects, my thought, bring it all out, hollywood will dress some things up, but get the facts as best as you can

AYWalton: they are spitting bullets mad.

keli1: that is sad as well

Seventies Soulchild: There was a woman who spoke about a similar subject a while back on TED. It was about her maid and her participation in the CR movement. She wrote a play about it.

Khathu: there response is call harold cruse called the crisis of the negro intellectual

AYWalton: on Twitter there is a hashtag group #TheHelp and one called #TheHelpMovie. They are mostly all praises.

Khathu: there =their

AYWalton: TED? what is that, SoulChile? good point, khathu.

Seventies Soulchild: Now I saw this piece way before the book or the film were known to me. I

keli1: remember the move George about the train red caps. TED the technology ting

Seventies Soulchild: Oh that was good too keli1

AYWalton: in this case the Negro intellectuals are blowing off steam in but no one is listening. what is TED SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: I will have to see if I can find it AYWalton. The woman is an english instructor at a university in Iowa or somewhere way out there. I'll tweet it once I find it. TED is an organization that does talks on a variety of subjects

Khathu: they are showing their lack of relevance to the issues affecting a large segment of the community

alt: in the small northern town where I grew up your family's position in the AA community was often dependent upon how wealthy were the 'white' folks your women worked for as domestic's.

keli1: Those maids were smart as all get out protrayed in the movie, they came together and got it done, I loved the point on the relationships, etc, so happy that they came together to 'tell' their story

Seventies Soulchild: They have quarterly conferences and a lot of their talks are on their website TED.com alt, I think that was a carryover from slavery... IMO

keli1: my friend presented the World Peace Game/4th graders there, John Hunter

AYWalton: and I find that to be very said---they are in fact---out of touch!

jhonora: My cousin Elise worked for several judges' families and would often call them and tell them to get black men out of jail.

alt: no doubt Seventies Soulchild... that was an observation of how it was and how I saw it.

AYWalton: I think that their indignance (is that a word?) reflects another kind of divide within our own community.

vkn: Howdy to all

AYWalton: But the fact is---they--the group of historians, are actually not that visible in the community---most folks have never heard of them, will never hear of them, nor read their complaint. Greetings, vkn!

vkn: AYW!!!

keli1: Hi vkn!

AYWalton: So they are shouting out into the wind, and few, if any will hear.

alt: hello vkn.. G'day to ya.

Khathu: Hello vkn

jhonora: That is an ongoing discussion, about academics being more active in the community

keli1: I believe most of us have a family history of domestic workers were are proud of

AYWalton: wb SoulChile!

vkn: gday gday alt

Seventies Soulchild: I think I'm taking BBENN's place now... lol

AYWalton: and we should not be ashamed of them in any way.

Khathu: my granmothers were domestics before they went to college and became nurses

AYWalton: and many folks do speak the way the women spoke in the movie.

vkn: Seventies Jhonora Keli Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I never got that speaking thing. I know people who talk like that too, still today...

keli1: oh AY of course, I can call names now, nothing wrong with how they speak, that is what was in their environment

AYWalton: I wonder if there was some shame coming from the historians. I am kind of surprised at that.

Seventies Soulchild: So can anyone explain what's so offensive about the dialect?

alt: not at all AYWalton, the 'domestic's' in my area were the folks who had jobs, come heck or high water, when the men frequently got laid off.... they were the 'steady' breadwinners for most families that I knew.

keli1: some people can't handle the dialect, which to me just brings out history out more and more

AYWalton: good gracious, we all can speak like that ---I mean if I go to some places in Arkansas, I won't speak the same way I speak at a university campus Maryland. Good Lawd hab mercy!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Maybe they just glossed over the linguists periodicals.

keli1: I don't see anything wrong with it 70s

jhonora: Me too! That accent comes and goes

keli1: I can bring it out as well, lol..

Seventies Soulchild: Yes who doesn't say Fin'ta?? or finn'a??

AYWalton: you mean fixn'ta

keli1: still use it...my kids call me out all the time...lol...

Seventies Soulchild: Fixn'to is how white folks say it!lol

AYWalton: my grandmother said something happened "yestiddy"/ and I have no shame in the fact that she said it.

keli1: oh love that one AY

AYWalton: I am trying to remember more.........but can't.

keli1: AY you bussing it or flying to NBGS

alt: "jeat".... first I heard this was in college from a guy from Alabama... he was asking "Did You Eat"?

AYWalton: I would give anything to hear her speak again. jeat yet?

keli1: we are now creating a great story to be written

AYWalton: probably flying, keli1 or Amtraking maybe.

Seventies Soulchild: That's just dialect. Anyone know any non-english words in our dialect still in use today?

keli1: I couldn't get the Amtrak to work, 80 miles from Ft. Wayne

vkn: Log of Sat Nite is up Discussion includes New room layout and more

AYWalton: For some reason, I think 2 years ago the bus was much cheaper. ahhh I see...then I might fly.

keli1: gas, my dear, gas...

Seventies Soulchild: I see vkn...

AYWalton: Have to find out from Selma where she flew into.

jhonora: Well, my uncle never could make "h"'s he made teet for teet, tief for theif, appy for happy, etc.

keli1: jeat is fabulous, I can hear it spoken...

AYWalton: and folks are umble, and not humble.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh yea jhonora, my favorite, I'm going to go make groceries. I never said that until I left NY... lol

alt: 'tote" for carry and 'poke' for bag Seventies Soulchild

keli1: carry me --car ride

AYWalton: I still say "sack" for paper bag. and "pop" for soda.

Seventies Soulchild: yes two words I read in a linguist periodical that were African in origin alt. Also toddler. Which was surprising to me.

keli1: I truly believe it is what came down broken from our enslaved ancestors as they learned to speak the English language

Seventies Soulchild: Also, che or sh'e

AYWalton: probably so.

jhonora: I "make groceries" all the time, 70s

keli1: now wait a minute I say Pop, now always have

AYWalton: mais yes, che your southern ties are showing, then keli1

jhonora: We say soft drinks

vkn: Paper poke as opposed to Crocus sack

keli1: no pop is not southern, coke or soda is really southern, northern's said Pop

Seventies Soulchild: Some of those words are african. My grandad says cudda for turtle... doesn't say turtle.. and man did I have a hard time understanding him after a while...

AYWalton: we would also say croker sack. lol

keli1: jhornra, soft drinks where are you from

Seventies Soulchild: Also one I read last week Mack...

jhonora: Louisiana

AYWalton: that is the fancy city boy from Nawlins talking, now.

Seventies Soulchild: lol AYWalton

vkn: Keli Cocola and Nehi Grape

AYWalton: I bet in the country they say pop.

keli1: you all said soft drinks, no coke or soda, wow that is new for me

jhonora: We say neutral ground for median and banquette for sidewalk

AYWalton: Grapette and Nehi for me.

keli1: RC cola

Seventies Soulchild: yes.. they look at you crazy if you say soda...lol

Khathu: Alright everyone have a great week and hopefully i will be back in DC tomorrow

keli1: I think so AY, fancy talk

AYWalton: Dr. Pepper and RC were good backups.

jhonora: Of course they is always "red drank" or "blue drank" etc.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok have a safte trip Khathu

alt: can't wait, huh Khathu LOL

AYWalton: I miss 7Up in the green bottles. It tasted better. and the original Coca Cola was so strong, it burned my nose. I would prefer Nehi and Grapette.

keli1: you can still buy those pops in certain stores

Seventies Soulchild: jhonora, what is the word for ... well pimp. Macqu something or other. I read that the term MACK comes directly from the word. A very popular term in the CA black culture.

AYWalton: sometimes I see them at CrackerBarrel restaurants.

Seventies Soulchild: I like nehi peach.

jhonora: maque'

AYWalton: never had Peach. That must be a newer flavor. Creme soda was a nice treat.

keli1: yes Cracker barrel is one of them, did you see where the waitress at crackerbarrel found her gg grandmother picture on the wall

AYWalton: but I am RootBeer child.

Seventies Soulchild: yes that's it. I had no idea that word came from that... its now world wide.

jhonora: maqureau

Seventies Soulchild: yep that's it.

AYWalton: didn't see that story, but saw a story where somebody found an obituary of an ancestor on the wall.

jhonora: Barq's Root Beer is my favorite

AYWalton: AW was what I grew up with, plus a local kind from the DairyDelight, when I was growing up.

alt: one of mine too jhonora

keli1: I didn't know they shopped antique places, etc to obtain them, I thought they were all fake, I will pay more attention now

Seventies Soulchild: Me too Keli1

vkn: Hires Root Beer is the best lol

AYWalton: I think they just find discarded items from flea markets and antique shops and junk stores.

Seventies Soulchild: Do they still make Hires?

keli1: there as well, yes

AYWalton: I don't recall seeing that brand. At least they did not carry it at the Piggly Wiggly.

vkn: I have no clue seventies

alt: Vernor's Ginger Ale

keli1: we grew up with A & W rootbeer

AYWalton: (now how many of you all know THAT chain?)

keli1: yep love Vernor's

Seventies Soulchild: Piggly Wiggly? I grew up on A&P, Pathmark and Shoprite. So New York.. lol

keli1: I am familiar with Piggly Wiggly and Winn Dixie, once I moved out of Michigan

AYWalton: I was so amused when some friends came back from "down souf" and had only two words to say to me----Piggly Wiggly!!!! they were so amused and amazed. I was rolling with laughter at their astonishment.

vkn: We also had Jitney Jungle in Alabama

keli1: foxworthy described some of my relatives using piggly wiggly bags or luggage on the way to hawaii

jhonora: We had Schwegmann's

AYWalton: Gee I wonder if Schwegmann's is related to Wegmans the gormet supermarket folks.

keli1: good thought, hmmm

AYWalton: is that a store chain, vkn?

vkn: May only have been Anniston AYW

keli1: it is interesting that we are talking about all this, which now is another lead on checking the local employers/businesses in research areas, etc

jhonora: In Rose Hill, Mississippi, the grocery store also serves as the barroom/concert hall

alt: That's what Shannon Sharpe, who just went into the NFL Hall of Fame, said he had for luggage when he went to college (Savannah Sate) from his home in GA .. two piggly wiggly bags

AYWalton: just googled it and see images of some of the stores. must have been a chain.

vkn: Really ? LOL

AYWalton: yes. have to run, folks

alt: later AYWalton

AYWalton: have a good day.

vkn: I just know one would get a 25 pound bag of flour which had a print pattern which was made into a dress

keli1: well I need to go, I have 2 more marriage records to order.. Oh Art, where do you get marriage records from, state or local, know of any online for OHIO

alt: try familysearch for older marriage records keli1

vkn: Howdy ProfDru

keli1: yea nothing coming up on ancestry or family search, so I am resorting to writing the letters, lol

jhonora: Oh well I'm going y'all!

keli1: looking for Medina and Wayne county marriage records

alt: or a letter to probate court for the county in question keli1... names. approx dates . what timeframe keli1?

keli1: 1863-1867

alt: nice 'new' screen vkn

vkn: Thankee alt

alt: familysearch has some for Ohio during that time period keli1.

vkn: Y'all be good

keli1: I am stuck without finding a 1912 death records in Iowa, os now believe the persons must not of died there nothing came up so far

alt: only familiar with Iowa records from the census

keli1: oh well I am getting off as well, ttyl thanks!

alt: and some records for Johnson County .... Iowa City bye keli1

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy