Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-05 Presidential Memorial Certificates

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:17
End: 13:09:51
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, bearnut2, deannie, jhonora, ProfDru, Selma, vkn

AYWalton: Hey hey hey, it's honora!!!!! wassup jhonora??? hello there, bearnut2, howdy alt!

bearnut2: Hi AYWalton, alt, and jhonora

AYWalton: hope you are all well.

alt: hello AYWalton, bearnut2 & jhonora.. hope you all are doing well today.

AYWalton: how are you today alt?

bearnut2: I'm pretty good--just having a "discussion" on the 23andme forum about the African Health Project

alt: okay AYWalton, thanks

AYWalton: sounds interesting. what are folks saying?

jhonora: Hello alt, AYWalton, bearnut2

bearnut2: yeah, I knew there would be folks who suddenly decided to "use" their African percentage for a free test... I just didn't realize some would be so blatent about it. lol

jhonora: I hope y'all have been good, just back from a week in Los Angeles

AYWalton: are you saying that folks who live not as black but white, who are taking the test? hope you had a good time in LA, jhonora.

bearnut2: aywalton--yes

AYWalton: what took you there, jhonora?

alt: bearnut2, how 'deep' is the Y & mtDNA testing by 23&me? like how many markers for Y & what resolution for mtDNA

jhonora: Our Nat'l Convention with the knights.

AYWalton: alt they are actually conducting HEALTH analysis primarly, and want 10,000 black folks to submit samples.

bearnut2: alt--I'm not sure--we get a mtdna and Y haplogroup but thats the extent of it

AYWalton: they will do admixture as a throw in benefit.

bearnut2: hi seventies

AYWalton: the focus is HEALTH and genetic predisposition for certain diseases. genealogy is not their focus primarily, but they will do the admixture and include it in the results.

alt: I saw the ad & submitted for the 'free' kit, was gonna try and get a couple of grandkids to test with them.

bearnut2: they also have relative finder that is similar to family finder

AYWalton: which is probably why they have Skip Gates---the only non-scientist listed as a "sponsor".

jhonora: Forgive me, which test service is this?

bearnut2: 23andme

alt: welcome home jhonora, hopr your convention was successful

ProfDru: hello gang

alt: Hello ProfDru...

bearnut2: jhonora--what are "knights"--Knights of Columbus? hi ProfDru

jhonora: close bearnut2, Knights of Peter Claver

AYWalton: 23&me is the test, bearnut2--the same group you were in a forum discussing. how was the convention, jhonora? Ah---ProfDru is in da house!

ProfDru: still a tired professor dru lol

jhonora: It was good, I think many more people are encouraged about sending me items for the history project, AY.

AYWalton: oh that is wonderful, jhonora!!! I am excited to hear that!

jhonora: AY, I also had a long conversation with Ms. Yvonne Lansey before I left, she was the last president of Ideal Bank in Baltimore.

alt: wonderful jhonora, a "heightened' awareness is always good for any organization.

AYWalton: how is ProfDru today? what did you all talk about, jhonora?

ProfDru: tired

AYWalton: still tired, ProfDru?

ProfDru: tired, but making myself get up and moving.

bearnut2: aywalton--yes--there was a guy on the forum who identifies himself as "Hispanic"--and would probably be offended if anyone called him "African-anything" but he wanted to participate so he could get a free test. When he found that he may or may not get a test, he then decided that it was a waste of his time if he wouldn't get the free test. hmmm...

jhonora: About her family, their bank, and their long history in Baltimore, I thought you might know of them.

AYWalton: that is interesting, bearnut

alt: bearnut2, do you think the 23&me is misleading as to the genealogical statements of the testing?

bearnut2: alt--I don't know what you mean...

AYWalton: I am not a Baltimore native (remember I am really Arkansas/Oklahoma), but I have heard of the name is all.

jhonora: lol I remember, you are from the "territory"

alt: other than a basic haplogroup assignment... a "letter", how deep is the Y & mtDNA?

AYWalton: lol that's right. I am an intruder here in Baltimore. who just left the room? ahh ProfDru, she is still tired. Her grandmother died last week and the funeral was this week.

bearnut2: alt--ok I must not be getting it--the test at 23andme is autosomal they use SNPs not STRs so for Y and mtDNA you only get a haplogroup assignment...

alt: example bearnut2, I'm I1d1-P109 from the 67 marker Y-DNA with FTDNA would 23&me simply state I'm "I" as a 12 marker test would tell me.

bearnut2: You then get percentages of your "makeup" (African/European/Asian) and you also get matches to other people who have DNA in common with you.

AYWalton: Howdy Ms. Selma!!!

bearnut2: alt--Ahh--now I understand--you would get the same depth as you would for the 67 marker--for example my mtdna is L3d1-5

alt: okay bearnut2, on FTDNA's Family Finder I have 22 matches .... 3-5 cousin range... is that similar to Realtive Finder?

bearnut2: ok lost some letters! lol Hi Selma!

AYWalton: Selma how long do you have to wear the cast?

alt: WOW!!!! that's at a pretty deep level for a 'free' test.

Selma: 2 weeks weeks If all goes well I will be getting a walking cast

alt: your hardcast have a 'heel' so you can use your walker Selma?

Selma: Nope...no heel..I use the walker but I HOP

alt: okay Hopalong LOL

AYWalton: no crutches, Selma?

Selma: Oh yes I have those too...I am like a rehab center here

AYWalton: lol

bearnut2: alt-yes I have around 200 on relative finder

alt: Anita has 'crutches', no weight on the 'bad' foot for two weeks.

AYWalton: well hang in there---once you get the walking cast I know you will be happy so you will have some mobility! have to run folks.

alt: is that right bearnut2 ... 200, that's a sizeable number.

AYWalton: jhonora will send you Agnes Callum's number. take care everyone, have a good weekend.

jhonora: Thank you!

bearnut2: alt--yeah each of my family's profiles has around that number but out of all 5 of us, I'm only sharing with 158 selma--ouch--hopefully you were having fun right before you broke it ;)

Selma: Yes I was

bearnut2: lol good! lol

alt: she was 'slidin' bearnut2 LOL

bearnut2: electric slidin' maybe?

Selma: no

alt: when does school start jhonora?

jhonora: On the 29th

alt: okay, you're a Jr. this year, right?

Selma: Is your summer going well jhonora

jhonora: Going well, Selma

bearnut2: brb

deannie: Hi Lunch Bunch

Selma: Hi deannie

deannie: I'm at home today....and I remembered to come in

alt: hello deannie , how are ya?

deannie: Great and you alt

alt: tolerable deannie, just tolerable

vkn: Howdy to all

deannie: Hi vkn

alt: I got an email from my AfriGeneas Angel..newspaper article... the ancestor in CA was suing the Tehama Co. bBoard of Education in 1871 for discrmination of AA students.

Selma: Great alt

alt: she also sent pics of tombstones and an Obit.

vkn: Wow civil rights ancestor alt That is terrific congrats

alt: yeah vkn... the were suing school districts in Ohio, Iowa & now CA about the treatment of Black students.

vkn: What was the year

bearnut2: alt --wow thats great!

alt: this with UGRR & CW activities makes me feel 'pretty good' about the ancestors.

bearnut2: deannie what areas are you researching

alt: Selma. tiger's 1st round wasn't too bad, huh?

Selma: Didn't see too much...how did he do

alt: 2 under for 1st round....

deannie: States...Mississippi, Illinois, Missiouri...at this moment I am working on Presidential Memorial Ceritificates for deceased veteran

bearnut2: deannie wow! How do you get the PMCs for deceased veterans?

deannie: What about you bearnut2

Selma: Gotta run folks..need a nap..all this hopping is tiring:} Have a great day

alt: sleep well LOL

bearnut2: Im in Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee

jhonora: deannie, you prepare those?

deannie: I not good at sending website but just good to google and but the name in they will give you the wedsite...with the form

bearnut2: cool deannie thanks!

deannie: You are welcome////

jhonora: alt, did you hear, they just honored the original Metoyer as a Rev. patriot

alt: thought I saw sumpin' bout that jhonora

jhonora: Thanks to the work of Michael Henderson

alt: Henderson is 'working' the SAR thing quite well jhonora

bearnut2: deannie what a great program! I will definitely be sending for certificates for all of my family's deceased veterans! :)

alt: quite meaningful with Pres. Obama's signature, huh bearnut2?

jhonora: He is alt. I know some other SAR/DAR, one was the first black president of Mississippi State Chapter.

bearnut2: Yes! Very meaningful! deannie

deannie: I have received 2 as of today,,,Civil War, WWII and waiting for 2 more...you can requests for as many copies of the same person...to give other family members a copy too

alt: I think the Lineage Society things are great jhonora, great wau to honor ancestors and to have your documented research verified & perserved.

bearnut2: I will get started on my requests this weekend. Thanks again for the info--I'm excited!

deannie: Good Luck

jhonora: I think so too, alt. But as I have discussed with Henderson and others, the "proposers" thing often deters blacks and those not well-connected.

bearnut2: well, guess I'd better go too. Have a good day everyone.

alt: later bearnut2, take care well deannie, you made someone's day with your PMC information.. congrats!!!!

deannie: Thanks alt...I have learned a lot in this site and Im glad to show others what I have learned....I have had great teachers I'm planning on taking a genealogly class at the local junior college do you think I will pass lol ....the Army giving me a certificate for classes so I'm only taking funny classes

alt: only if you study hard deannie lol might be careful.. yo could end up teaching the class LOL

deannie: I will....it i need help with my homework I will go to this site called AfriGeneas to get help That what one of my co worker said.... I we going to be in the same place to year I=Are

alt: probably and I'll ask again.. Do you know ???? LOL

deannie: I know i'm going to FGS in Springfield it so in Illinois,,,want to go to the Black Summit in October

alt: I'm outa here y'all take care.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy