Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-02 Yatah~ research update

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:00:57
End: 13:20:27
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, freeaainnc, Seventies Soulchild, vkn, yatah

yatah: hi

3rdthawkins: hello yatah Yeah! for the upcoming football season

yatah: hi i finally order death cer of my grandpa

3rdthawkins: oh, great!

yatah: lol

3rdthawkins: so, any good information?

yatah: i can question ?

3rdthawkins: what was your ??

yatah: i did order death cer in south carolina long time ago nothing come sinbce he born

3rdthawkins: hey alt

alt: Hello yatah & 3rdthawkins

yatah: mean maybe he not born in south carolina, hawkins

3rdthawkins: hmm, possibly, but when was he born? birth certificates before 1915 are hard to come by since it wasn't a requirement, the only time you may get a BC from before 1915 is if it's a delayed BC, in other words it was made out in their adult life

yatah: my grandpa born 1921 ga

3rdthawkins: I am hesitatant in ordering my great grandfather's BC because he was born in SC in 1920, but I am wondering if he had a delayed BC like some of his brothers oh, ok, yatah, I"m not sure about GA birth records, you will have to check that out and do your research on that

freeaainnc: hi

alt: g'Day freeaainnc

3rdthawkins: hey free

freeaainnc: NC started BCs in 1913

yatah: umm i talk with my grandma that maybe born i n pa before move to south carolina

freeaainnc: each state has it's own starting date though

3rdthawkins: yeah, but we're not talking about NC free lol

freeaainnc: lol

3rdthawkins: just mess with ya

yatah: and she not know where is born at she cant dind birth cer

freeaainnc: well, couldn't go back that far in the chat and you said that BCs didn't start before 1915 so just wanted to clarify that wasn't the case for all states :)

alt: and those dates ca 1915 are when the State started requiring Birth Certificates... they may have been recorded at the county much earlier... like back to the mid to late 1800's.

yatah: maybe i have check up in ga

3rdthawkins: yeah, was talking about South Carolina

freeaainnc: but in NC it's hard to find BCs before WWI as many births took place in the home and no certificate was filed

3rdthawkins: you may be right alt, for me, Berkeley County didn't become a County officially until 1882, and they are late on lot of records, it used to be Charleston, so I am wondering if there is a BC before 1915 yes, thats the other thing freeaainnc, births/deaths happened in the home, and bodies were buried in the backyard basically

freeaainnc: I've never seen any alt, but that is a possibility b/c talking about when BCs started is the state level I actually just did a blog about missing BCs, but it won't be posted until Monday but that is NC specific

yatah: oh i see my grandpa died in pa that i order so i hope more informationn i ask you death cer look alike ?

3rdthawkins: Charleston was the only county that required BC before 1900, the only county in SC where you can find birth and death and marriage records back to the 18-and 1700s

alt: but in many instances the birth's done by mid-wives were reported to a County official on a periodice basis and those birth's were recorded at the county level, at least that is the case for Ohio.... births are in recorded in county records as early as the 1830's. so as we keep being told.we need to learn the 'specifics' of the State & counties we may be researching.

yatah: ok

3rdthawkins: that is true alt

yatah: when 1940 come out

freeaainnc: very true

3rdthawkins: less than a year it will be released to the public, but will have to order from NARA to see it I'm sure it will be a few more years before being put online

freeaainnc: actually 3rd, my library has been told that NARA will put online for public access

3rdthawkins: oh really free?

alt: I keep seeing that it will be released and online as of 1 April 2012,

freeaainnc: and I was under the impression they are already working on it, but I could be wrong

3rdthawkins: oh, well, cool, that will be great alt and free

freeaainnc: definitely and a big help to those who can't get past their grandparents yet or their parents

yatah: oh i see

3rdthawkins: I read somewhere else that you have to go to nara and no one is currently transcribing it online.......guess that shows how much that person knows

freeaainnc: lol 3rd

3rdthawkins: yes, it is free, it will definitely shed some light on my family, maternal and paternal

yatah: cool

alt: I'm not sure what the immediate search capabilities will be for NARA, but they say it won't be indexed when it goes up on 1 April

3rdthawkins: ahh, gotta browse, ugh

freeaainnc: oh wow, might have to go old school and search line by line lol

yatah: how work ?

freeaainnc: ancestry has really pampered us in that way how does what work yatah?

yatah: on death cer when i get it one

alt: but you now you can get information from any census year up to 2000 for 'individuals' for about 65-75 $$$. now=know

3rdthawkins: that sounds interesting for me alt, I really would like to know about my grandparents in 1950 when my dad was born

freeaainnc: yatah sorry I came in middle of conversation. not sure what you and 3rd were talking about

3rdthawkins: but I think I already have enough info to know what's going on what is it you wanna know yatah?

yatah: yea

alt: yatah, you might try www.vitalrec.com and search the State(s) you interested in for ordering information.

3rdthawkins: your grandpa died in PA, right?

yatah: yes right 3rd

3rdthawkins: order his Death Certificate from PA and it will show you where he was born, try and go to that state of birth to see if you could order his birth certificate

freeaainnc: and it will hopefully give you a birth date too

3rdthawkins: I wanna order my grandfather's, but I don't know what I need it for, I Have just about all the info I need on him

alt: looking at the chat list, I see we're unsupervised today LOL

freeaainnc: lol

3rdthawkins: dont' speak too soon

yatah: i know my grandpa born yrs but i need order death cer bec i am stuck wall on my family line

alt: I should have said "up to this point'

freeaainnc: we're all civilized, it's ok

3rdthawkins: when did he die yatah?

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon, 3rd, alt, freeaainnc and yatah. How's it going?

3rdthawkins: hey Seventies

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild , how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: good, now. lol Technology went haywire on me this morning. Nothing was working as it should've been.

alt: oh my, that can be frustrating.

Seventies Soulchild: yes just a litte. :}

yatah: 3rd, he died sep 27, 1992

3rdthawkins: yatah, you would order his social security application also if he has a ssn and was receiving benefits would=could try and see if you could order his SSA yatah, something he himself filled out

yatah: how

freeaainnc: hi SS

alt: what's the name yatah .. I'll look at the SSDI on ancestry.

yatah: clarence quiller

Seventies Soulchild: Does anyone know of a site I can browse to get examples of WWI soldier headstones? Soldiers who died during the war?

alt: Clarence Quiller 13 Jul 1921 27 Sep 1992 Norristown, Montgomery, Pennsylvania

freeaainnc: no

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks freeaainnc

freeaainnc: sorry SS

alt: the site for national cemeteries Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: How is your work coming Free?

freeaainnc: great!

yatah: yeah that one problem i cant find his birth cer record , alt

Seventies Soulchild: good!

freeaainnc: except I'm so busy with other stuff at work I'm falling way behind in responding to queries

3rdthawkins: use this site right here https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FE-Web/internetmain.jsp to order his SSA yatah

Seventies Soulchild: :} summertime always seems busier than the fall and winter months at work.

freeaainnc: yatah you can write for his SSA papers and it might tell you where he was born. Then you can write that state for a copy of his birth certificate

alt: yatah, as 3rdthawkins keeps saying you can order his SS application which will give you the information you looking for SSN is 250-12-3338

freeaainnc: same here SS

yatah: i know he list 1930 it free ?

alt: and he applied in SC pre-1952

yatah: oh ok

freeaainnc: no yatah, but go to that website 3rd posted to find out cost and were to write

yatah: ok i look up

3rdthawkins: won't let me post actual site, but go to ssa.gov yatah

freeaainnc: ancestry use to have a form letter to send them here yatah: http://learn.ancestry.com/LearnMore/Article.aspx?id=3839 this will tell you about how to order the SSA forms

yatah: oh ok i still look around

freeaainnc: ok

alt: Seventies Soulchild, for national cemeteries and examples of WW I headstones you might look at this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Cemetery

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks. I found the va website and was browsing around there. saw only pre-WWI examples.

3rdthawkins: try this site yatah www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm and scroll down and click on the ssa-711 form link

freeaainnc: brb

Seventies Soulchild: thanks alt. Its looking like WW I is maybe when they changed the headstones.

alt: if you know someone buried in a national cemetery that served in WW I you can search for them under their name in that cemetery for a view of their marker Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I briefly searched on the VA gravefinder site. Will go back again

alt: I know they have two types for WW i .. an inground marker and an aboveground marker

Seventies Soulchild: ok, I saw a couple of those while at the Mt. Olive Cemetery.

3rdthawkins: findagrave also show tombstones/markers Seventies, perhaps you can search for someone there who died in a Nat. Cemetery to find out. I have one of my grandfather there, someone took a pic for me

Seventies Soulchild: The inground markers are rather nice.

freeaainnc: ok, back

Seventies Soulchild: ok 3rd. I'd looked on there as well. Its just that my great uncle has a headstone which is like a CW marker, but wider.

3rdthawkins: hmm, ok

alt: yeah, I found one at the Dayton VA cemetery for a friend of Selma's.

Seventies Soulchild: So I was wondering if the family paid for one to be made or if the gov't provided one.

yatah: thanks i will order when i need one after i get death cer

alt: the gov't provided markers upon request of family and proof of military service Seventies Soulchild .....

yatah: it help

Seventies Soulchild: right. I was trying I guess to get as much documentation on this individual since he had no descendants. I did get his estate paperwork from Adams Co. Courthouse.

3rdthawkins: try SSA first yatah, since he is the one that filled it out, and it comes much earlier than death certificate, can't always trust informants, go to the person himself

Seventies Soulchild: To complete my docs on him, I think I'll request his WWI service records if I can get them

alt: if no family, often a military group will do the paper work... VFW, and.or other veterans groups

Seventies Soulchild: His eldest brother, Charles, took over responsibilty for his estate. At the time of his death 1918, his parents and siblings were still living. He died during the war.

alt: Ancestry has a file on WW I service records

3rdthawkins: and yatah, different states have rules for/against ordering death records for deaths that happened within the past 50 years, check the state's rule on ordering Death Certificates

yatah: oh i see i understand

Seventies Soulchild: I will check their military records again alt. I did find his draft card there.

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild

yatah: you know my grandpa's father went draft wars

Seventies Soulchild: awfully quiet... :} So alt, did you read nana Bennie's fb page update?

alt: if gfather born in 1921 that's highly possible yatah, his father an a WW I record for him not yet Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: oh okay.

yatah: yeah i need re copy agian lol i lose somewhere

3rdthawkins: I'm comtemplating ordering more SSA for ancestors, going back and forth whether I should for some

yatah: his father name edgo , edgal , edgar

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

alt: hello vkn... glad to see ya

vkn: Howdy all yall

freeaainnc: hi V

vkn: Glad to be here

3rdthawkins: I need to do it, not for genealogical reasons, because there's nothing genealogically some of them can tell me, but for research purposes, so therefore questioning whether I should for some, since I'm not researching them hey vkn

vkn: Yatah long time!

yatah: yea

vkn: 3rd alt seventies free

alt: I hear ya 3rdthawkins ... the cost of SSA's can be pretty expensive if enogh of them are ordered.

yatah: vkn, i finally order my grandpa death cer in pa

3rdthawkins: yep

vkn: Good for you yatah

alt: You know 3rdthawkins, I don't have one SSA, even my own LOL

3rdthawkins: yatah, you said you ordered it or going to order it?....who's death certificate are you trying to order?

yatah: i saw ssa cost more so that why i order in future

3rdthawkins: ahh, I see alt, lol.

yatah: i mean finish ordered last week on my grandpa 3rd

3rdthawkins: oh, ok

alt: I have 'bunches' of DC's and Obits tho'.

freeaainnc: same here alt

3rdthawkins: alt, you probably don't have many people, if any, to order SSA for, that you would need

Seventies Soulchild: ok all my lunch is finished. :) See you all tonight. Be ready to chat! :}

alt: and Funeral Programs

3rdthawkins: SSA's don't tell you much, but it's enough to go backwards

alt: right 3rdthawkins

yatah: if grandpa not born in south carolina just apply ss in south carolina so i need find out where he born lol

freeaainnc: yatah death certificate should say where he was born

alt: vkn.. the google diagnostic.. nice tool for seing the traffic on a specific site... tells you pretty much who, when & how long they visit.

yatah: ok thanks

3rdthawkins: no yatah, you don't need to order SSA from a state, order it from the social security administration, you don't need to put in birthplace, the SSA will tell you once you get it all you need really is SSN, once you have that, you can order it

vkn: free how you be

alt: and if born in 1921 ,, the 1930 census tells you waht State he was born in.

freeaainnc: I be good V :) how u be?

yatah: oh ok he in list 1930 yes ALT i need look up

vkn: ahhhh there you are lol

alt: what does that say yatah

3rdthawkins: that's why you order SSA first before death certificate. My mother's father stated on his SSA he was born in Pittsburg, Camp County, Texas, but in 1920 and 1930 census, his parents were living in Gregg County, Texas....Camp County is where his mom's family was

yatah: i look up now

vkn: what look uo Yatah

yatah: my grandpa where he born

freeaainnc: v I think she means she is going to look at what is says for where he is born on the 1930 census

vkn: ahhh ok

yatah: i look up and he live in south carolina 1930

freeaainnc: yatah does it say where he was born?

alt: what does the column say for his birth location yatah (State)

yatah: it said birthplace in south carolina

vkn: You have come a long way Yatah.... Congratulations and keep up the good work

3rdthawkins: order his SSA yatah, it will give you exact location, city/county/state

yatah: thanks

alt: okay, so there you have his birth State and where he applied for his SSN and the SSDI says he died in PA.

3rdthawkins: then you can check that county to see if they have birth records in 1921 yatah

yatah: i know clarence 's brother luther born in south carolina before have my grandpa

freeaainnc: sounds like you need to contact SC to get his birth certificate, but I think you need to know the county in SC so I agree with 3rd about writing for copy of his SSA papers to find that out

alt: there you go 3rdthawkins ... you're showing her the step-by-step process of learning locations.

yatah: what yrs when st matthews become city ?

alt: How many Clarence Quillers can be born in SC in 1921?

3rdthawkins: I had to learn that about my grandfather, thought it was born in Charleston County, SC, his baptism record stated he was born in Alvin, SC, which is in Berkeley County, where his father was from, it is important, and I will order his SSA also it=he

yatah: ohh my grandpa name clarence and my uncle name clarence too you know i sure one clarence in south carolina

freeaainnc: bye all, need to go

3rdthawkins: you have to research that yatah, but dont' worry about city, county is more important

vkn: You too have come a looooong way over the years. Congrats to you too

alt: they both weren't born in 1921 tho's yatah

yatah: no differnt yrs

3rdthawkins: thx vkn

yatah: ok 3rd ]

vkn: and alt is quietly and consistently helpful to all of us

yatah: nara publication mean ?

alt: gotta go y'all .. have a good one.

vkn: same here gotta make lunch

3rdthawkins: so are you ok yatah with the info?

yatah: yea some ga yea some i cant open that for print dang it

3rdthawkins: open what?

yatah: i will find way open one cenus i guess i have pay one

3rdthawkins: ok, let me go, God bless on your research and ordering records, hope you get the info you need to further your (re)search

yatah: sure take care i know chat is over

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy