Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-05-10 Update • Search • Blogging

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:00:26
End: 13:26:47
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, daviss, di, fierybug08, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

daviss: hello di, long time no see!

di: hello yes it has been a while! how r u

daviss: doing great di! How is your research coming along?

alt: hello Daviss & di.. how are you today?

daviss: hello alt! how are you?

di: hello alt

alt: okay daviss

daviss: me I am better than yesterday alt :?

alt: were you here yesterday daviss? can't remember :))

daviss: lol see how much I am missed :(

alt: you weren't here, right?

daviss: not here yesterday lol I was resting

alt: Thought so daviss & you were missed ..... di, tell us how you're doing>

di: daviss my research is coming....along....i am at forks in the road

daviss: that is good news di! forks in the road is good. It means you have travelled on a path others need to get to lol

di: still learning ancestry...still doing information research on area and events. i read an article last night that suggests one of the towns my ancestors may have been enslaved at (or at least lived in). was a pretty "good"place to be a slave as slaves were not "patrolled" some worked for self with "help" from whites and some came and left to other plantations for family.....still reading lol.

daviss: what area is that again di?

di: that area the article spoke of was the town of thomaston, upson county ga

alt: that's good stuff di.. the history of the time & place is always good information.

daviss: thomaston ga sounds very interesting di

di: yeah i am just looking to see what is out there, i have known for a long time i wont get much further until i take a road trip

alt: isn't Upson, the primary county in GA for David Paterson's Slave research?

di: YES!!!!!

daviss: have you gleaned everything you can off of the net so far di?

di: He is an angel!!!!!

alt: Hello fierybug08

fierybug08: hi everybody *virtual wave*

daviss: hello fierybug08!

fierybug08: oh...upson county, ga does paterson have a website di?

alt: di, that you've connected with David,,, he has a wealth of information on Upson Co., GA.

daviss: Patterson is our Slave Forum manager fierybog08 fierybug lol

di: yes daviss i think i have exhausted i can for what i know....( i am still researching what i can utilize in my searches) as far as tools go i think i am at a lost with no results, ancestry, heritage quest, pro quest, family search, footnote, obit database, and bio index...seached in last month...

fierybug08: *shy smile* sorry

di: i am not sure if he has a website i mostly come across his articles on sites such as here and usgenweb. yes he was a big help to me when i was first starting out. fierybug08 where are u researchign

alt: di, have you looked at the familysearch site.. their LDS Library catalog has a listing of the holdings a FHC might have for speicific counties.

fierybug08: the chamblees and if you are familiar with GA...there is a city called Chamblee. I am still searching records. I found in 1850 slave records where James & Robert Chamblee had 10 slaves.

alt: the LDS catalog for counties has some 'unusual' record types.

fierybug08: i just started, but its irritating at times because both my surnames on my father's side are also cities names

di: it has been a while but that is something i will go back to. :) i am never against going back and looking again!

daviss: oh I go back all the time and revisit my info

alt: fierybug08, you might look at 'search tips' on google and other sites to find the method for restricting your searches to include only surnames.

di: right now i am trying to find if there is a record linking individuals to their sentence at a "work farm/chain gang/covinct camp" in cherokee ga

alt: that can be a 'tough search' di...

di: fierybug08 what are the other surnames other than chamblee

fierybug08: thanks alt

alt: yw fierybug08

fierybug08: as of right now in ga...chamblee is the only one.

di: i am seeing that. hey i am happy i found him at the camp. he was there during the 1910 census. listed as road laborer. i would have never thought they would send him there from pike or upson ga. (

fierybug08: grundy, rucker, gibson

di: what other areas othere than ga

alt: daviss is right on with the periodic review of our records & materials.. so much 'new' stuff is coming on-line & articles are being posted about our research areas that we may have never seen before. with information that pertains to our families

fierybug08: AR/TX/LA

3rdthawkins: think my aunt has talked me out of research

alt: oh, how is that 3rdthawkins?

3rdthawkins: she talked me down about doing it, mainly because of all the negative aspects of her father and all the "skeletons" in the closet….my thing isn't to bring up dirt or anything, but to find out where I come from, I like research and history. But she just talked me down about doing it and focusing on the present and future, not the past

di: we will talk you back into it! :) can't have my long distance somewhere on the hill cousin not finding our link!

fierybug08: okay @ di 3rd...i share in your thoughts of wanting to know where your family comes from

daviss: Hello Selma!

alt: skeleton & dirt digging isn't what it is about 3rdthawkins, you know that..... but you gotta look at your genealogy/family history from all aspect.... warts & all.

3rdthawkins: she is a very sweet aunt, very distraught about her upbringing, I understand her concern, she's not mean or anything about it, it's just her way of dealing with the awful past

fierybug08: sometimes i think it takes a family member to show a different perspective...i look at my genealogy family project to bring about appreciation and hope to the future generations

alt: then if you have to share with her what you find, give her only the 'good sweet stuff'. LOL

3rdthawkins: I guess there's some people you just have to avoid talking to about this kind of stuff, they will always nail and drive home their point oh, she doens't care about that alt, at all

daviss: hello vkn!

Selma: That is true daviss

vkn: I be good and busy alt

alt: I've noticed vkn LOL

vkn: Good to see all yall and howdy di

daviss: fierybug08 tell uis about your conference this weekend Did you enjoy the sessions you picked/

fierybug08: i learned a lot. i am starting my blog this week.

vkn: Audrey Quick Battiste is on her way representing AfriGeneas at the NGS conference in Charleston. B.J. will be going tomorrow.

di: 3rd. i have more than one copy of my research for view. the truth to me, the sweet for some and extra sweet for others, i wanted to share for me, that ate me up, but i wrote an intro to my research for..it basically gives an overview of the "skeltons" i found....an abuser, an alcoholic, an illegitimate child.....and i state, that is all i will say..i will not identify them or dwell on it..it was found but irrelevant to me knowing how i got here today....

alt: when will you be going vkn?

vkn: I be sending alt not going

alt: good to hear BJ is 'getting away' and going to the conference. okay vkn

fierybug08: Daviss= two great programs: one about federal land grants. Ms. Bernice Bennett shared a case study about how a family member received land through the Homestead Act 1862

daviss: that sure sounds interesting fiery

fierybug08: and a beginner's AA Family History Research. By William Shelton & Edwin B. Washington. Lots of great handouts and talking about sources to use.

alt: was this an LDS conference fierybug08?

fierybug08: i don't know what you mean alt

alt: Latter Day Saints... Mormon Church Conference fierybug08

fierybug08: or wait...yes..it was held at their church, but it was solely about genealogy. no indoctrinating hey seventies

daviss: by any chance did Shelton or Washington have AfriGeneas listed in their handouts fierybub08?

alt: okay, yes we know about LDS genealogy conferences not being about church indoctination

Seventies Soulchild: 3rd, alt, daviss, di, fierybug08, Selma and vkn

fierybug08: lol my humor does come out well enough on chat

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild, where's your 'tardy' slip? LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol shoot I'm doing homework... lol

fierybug08: i'm not sure...i do have a CD of the sessions

daviss: dang fiery I keep misspelling your name

fierybug08: its okay daviss...i misspell your name too

vkn: Hope all is going well di

daviss: I can't wait to see your blog fierybug08

di: yeah... busy as a bee

alt: just curious 3rdthawkins, is the Aunt you're speaking of the sister of your father, or your mother? of course, you don't have ot answer LOL

fierybug08: me either

daviss: be sure and give us the link

fierybug08: lol

daviss: lol lol

fierybug08: can i have one of your logos to put on my page?

3rdthawkins: well, father alt

fierybug08: AfriGeneas?

alt: okay 3rdthawkins, as I said, just curious.

3rdthawkins: that's cool alt

vkn: daviss can help you with that fiery

alt: I'm writing a book 3rdthawkins LOL LOL LOL

daviss: hollar when you get ready fiery

fierybug08: okay thanks...vkn *virtual tap dance*

3rdthawkins: I'll watch what I say then alt

alt: you'd better 3rdthawkins LOL

3rdthawkins: lol

daviss: I need to update my blog soon

Selma: daviss...see thats why I don't have one..You have to keep it up.. LOL

daviss: lol @ Selma now if I lived close to Nara, there is no telling what I could write about does anyone besides me have a problem with ancestry now on the AA only page.

di: daviss see i go to the nara and am lost.. never have anything to look up. never used it

daviss: I put in a name and state and get everything in the world that I dont need

alt: I think I do daviss ..... can't seem to do census search for only 'people of color' anymore.

di: but i have noticed a few little bugs since the upgrade, but i sometimes chalk it to my brower (it is not fully compatible with chrome)

daviss: I might as well do via regular search

di: did aa searches give you that much of a filtered change?

Selma: What records do you look at when you go to NARA di?

Seventies Soulchild: daviss, I don't know when the last time I used the AA page on ancestry

di: nothing for my own research.

daviss: It is so frustrating. then I end up going thru everything they give me and its not even worth my time

Seventies Soulchild: I always do filtered search OR record specific searches.

daviss: It used to be a wonderful tool di now it's not worth it to me

di: i am in philly so that is the one i speak of. i have not had anything to look up. i looked up some microfilmed census and freedman records a while ago for another family i am researching here in philly but for the most part no use. i really have not found my usefulness of lds and nara for mircofilm research yet as most of what i find it accessible by request or online

daviss: I really need to get over to LDS and look up the original 1880 census for my area Its been a while since I have done that

di: what is the difference between that and looking at the images online

daviss: for one thing, when they got ready to put my image up lol they may have went to the bathroom came back and thought it was done lol

di: lol ok. where is this for.

daviss: marshall texas

di: believable

daviss: thats for sure di wouldn't you say so Selma

Seventies Soulchild: OK who posted that pbs Antique's Roadshow video. That was interesting. Did anyone watch it?

Selma: Yes, there are sometimes differences...

daviss: dunno seventies

Selma: There was a section of a county that I was researching that was not on line, but did appear on the microfilm.. What was it about seventies

daviss: so di it is probably time that I revisit the microfilm again

di: ok i understand that. i should see if that applies to me cause i cant find some people!

daviss: The research center (LDS) is only about 25 miles or so from my house

Seventies Soulchild: It was about darreogues (sp?) found in Claiborne Co. MS The family owned the Buckhorn plantation and they took a photo of their favorite slave....circa 1850's

Selma: Interesting seventies..did they give his name?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes the slave was name... I think it was Benjamin Armstrong.

di: yeah i have one about 20 blocks from my house

Selma: Ok seventies...add it to your lists of things to look up.. LOL

daviss: I cant copy and paste selma but its on the slave forum

Seventies Soulchild: They had a short piece about him written about the time of the photo. It was a nice piece. yes... I can't C&P either.... grrrr

Selma: I will check it out later..

daviss: I better run folks, gotta get something in my tummy before I faint later

Selma: Time for me to run too folks...have a great day.

Seventies Soulchild: geez... lol well I need to finish this assignment so I can move on to the next class module. I'm trying to be ahead of the curve here... bye all

fierybug08: sorry guys...i was mia colleague dropped in to chat so di what other relative are you researching?

di: since i hit so many forks in the road i have upped my research from my mother's maternal line to all of my lines! so i am researching lee in va and pa, koger in sc, murray& ford in sc, respess, alford, atwater in ga i am also researching a friends line of davis in pa and sc

fierybug08: well...i do know that VA has a lot of great records- compared to some other states. What's your email address? I can send you the intro to AA guide if you would like did you know that there is a U.S. Mortality Schedule 1850-1885. this would be a helpful resource to at least verify death dates.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy