Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-05-09 Connecting Cousin & Blogging

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:14:22
End: 13:12:40
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, fierybug08, freeaainnc, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

fierybug08: hi 3rdhawkins

3rdthawkins: hey fierybug

fierybug08: i don't think we've meet virtually LOL

3rdthawkins: forgive me if I don't respond right away, I am doing the dishes, I have the laptop in the kitchen with me right beside me on the counter, I am peeking in and out and will respond when I get a chance

fierybug08: i'm still a newbie. i went to my first conference this weekend. the DC Family History Conference. It was interesting to me. I have so much to research. no worries. i'm eating lunch

3rdthawkins: that's great

fierybug08: hi alt

alt: hello fierybug08 & 3rdthawkins a couple of multi-tasker, huh?

fierybug08: Most essential trait of a researcher/genealogy sleuth :)

Selma: Afternoon folks..

alt: hello Selma,,, how are ya post-Mother's Day?

Selma: Doing good alt..

3rdthawkins: or a disher washer fiery :} hey Selma

alt: How did you enjoy your 1st conference fierybug08 ?

Selma: Thats what I was about to ask alt..

fierybug08: it was great. i am trying to start my blog, but i don't have a name i want something original, but not too uncommon related to genealogy

alt: try whatever comes to mind fierybug08... you can always change the name....

Selma: Is the blog to keep track of what you are doing fiery

fierybug08: hmm...that's a good thought yes...well part of it will be methodology or at least trying to show what i find, but i don't want to give too much away

alt: good question Selma... the name should probably reflect your goal/aim.

Selma: Is the Blog to share with family members?

fierybug08: not right now. i don't know any of them,

alt: you could try a Blog and a Website fierybug08

fierybug08: like tribal pages? i like to keep up with the geneabloger weekly themes to help me with blogging regularly.

alt: website for a place to 'house' your research and a blog to convey your day-to-day thoughts

fierybug08: i will probably email you alt to ask you more specifics about it.

Selma: So what sessions did you go to at the seminar fiery?

alt: I'm a website person, not much into blogging, but actually use the AfriGeneas Forums for

fierybug08: i learned about federal land grants by Ms. Bernice Benett

alt: blog like purposes

fierybug08: i also had an introductory to African American Ancestry by a co-presenters William Shelton & Ed Washington

alt: sounds like you attended some nice informative sessions fierybug08

fierybug08: it was really awesome to learn about the how the presenters used primary documents to research and validate their findings. they had awesome slides.

alt: examples of types of records collected & from where?

fierybug08: i also went to one about virtual learning genealogy options land patents I learned about the history behind the Homestead Act 1862

alt: with the technology where it is and genealogy becoming so popular this is one of the best times ever to be starting.

fierybug08: the presenter gave a case study from her family. she showed the original land patent where her ggggrandfather owned the land. the document where it shows the actual land. she is supposed to be presenting at another larger genealogy conference next week.

alt: okay. like a county plat map showing range, township & section

fierybug08: yep. it was pretty amazing. i went to the website www.blm.gov you can search names, specific states, etc. it will show you the original document. the paper is brown and the handwriting has fadded.

alt: plat map of family property in 1857 .... http://tinyurl.com/3lwc5gy

fierybug08: oops... fadded-faded the director (James Sweany) for the Local History & Genealogy Reading Room of the LOC was the keynote speaker wow alt, that's great.

alt: that is an example of what you can reflect on a website in the form of photos of your primary documents more easily than what you can show in a blog wb Selma

Selma: Thanks.. How was the turnout fiery? Afternoon Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon everyone.

fierybug08: hey Selma...the conference was great

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild, good afternoon

fierybug08: i have so much info I want to share. i am probably going to have to start the blog this week. Still trying to decide blog or blog/website hi seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hi 3rd, alt, fierybug008 and Selma Blog fierybug08. Its free lol Or you can do tribalpages

fierybug08: i know...but i also want to keep in mind sustainability of the stuff i post.

alt: i say blog for expressing feelings and experiences, website for storage of documentation and sahring of records.... so if you like go for both. sharing of records

vkn: Good afternoon to all

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies, WB Selma, and hello VKN.....finishing up washing dishes

Seventies Soulchild: Then do like maybe a blog entry on a set schedule... I should be the last one talking... lol my blog is kind of crazy right now! lol

alt: hello vkn, how ya be's doing?

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn.

vkn: I be tired but good. Alonzo left this 6:30 am

Seventies Soulchild: Alonzo, your son vkn? Safe travels to him

Selma: I know you all had a wonderful visit...great mother's day gift

vkn: thankee seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Good to hear Selma.

vkn: indeed selma

alt: wonderful vkn... like Selma, I know you had a great time.

Seventies Soulchild: My cousin from Germany is here. We visited with him last night. Very excited about that.

vkn: yes yes yes

3rdthawkins: back

vkn: Working now to get display together for NGS on Wednesday

Seventies Soulchild: ok yesterday, I was on ancestry and decided to do a family tree search on Henyard.. and came up with about 50 trees!

alt: dishes dried and put away.... boy.... LOL LOL

3rdthawkins: lol yes sah!

alt: okay then.. you can chat LOL

Seventies Soulchild: *insert "Thanks dad!" lol

alt: how many connect Seventies Soulchild? or did you get that far?

3rdthawkins: yeah, while I'm chatting with my dad right now, lol,

Seventies Soulchild: About 50, all descendants of Thomas Henyard, Milly McFarland's brother Lots of the family relocated to Louisiana

alt: these are AA's.. and the one's with the Afro-Mexican heritage?

Seventies Soulchild: I'm debating if I should contact them or not.... Yes alt

alt: if they connect ot your information why not? ot=to

Seventies Soulchild: I've already contacted Tamala and Janice, both descendants of Thomas. tamala seemed as if she didn't quite believe that I was related to them. Janice did because I offered proof of the Milly name connection to her direct ancestor.

alt: they may have answers to questions deeper than what the genealogy reflects.

Seventies Soulchild: I know, but I also have some answers as well. I don't think that they know Thomas or Ned fought in the CW

alt: then everyone benefits

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, I guess so.

Selma: Have to run folks..have a great day

Seventies Soulchild: I have to really consider it only because the connection is so distant.

alt: As George Geder has coined the phrase for our genealogy efforts "it isn't how far back you go, but how deep you get. distant .. like 1st cousins so many times removed ,,, or 5th-6th cousins only 1 generation removed?

Seventies Soulchild: deep far,,, lol same same

freeaainnc: hi all!

Seventies Soulchild: Distant like 2nd, 3rd, 4th cousins generations removed. My 3rd great grandmother was a sibling to Thomas and Edward (Ned)....

alt: not really... the genealogy can go back to Charlemagne, but can you connect the families thru a 'common & deep' history. so, if a sibling... they're 1st cousins , x# of generations removed, right?

freeaainnc: I have been sick with bronchitis and pneumonia all of April and then the last week trying to catch up at work

alt: hello freeaainnc, good to see ya.

freeaainnc: alt - are you trying to count cousins?

Seventies Soulchild: Well the fact that most lived in Wilkinson County up until the early 20th century is a common history. But most sought their fortunes outside of MS in LA

alt: no freeaainnc

Seventies Soulchild: Then part of the family moved to Chicago

alt: I think we're talking past each other Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: ok so that I'm clear alt, you mean by common and deep history that there has always been some sort of kinship acknowledgement?

alt: no... I'm saying at 'one' time there was a common and deep relationship... you can have a 1st cousin x# of times removed that you've never seen, or heard of, but the 'deepness' is in the fact that this is the descendant of a sibling of your great-great-great-whatever.

Seventies Soulchild: ah okay. Yes there are some relationships like that. I'm finding these relationships were between the siblings and their offspring.

alt: and for me me a 'thrill' is discovering what happened to the descendants of my direct ancestor's siblings.

Seventies Soulchild: Oops my boss came by my desk twice already... lol Gotta run! have a good day all.

alt: I'm planning a trip for later this summer to the upper pennsula of Michigan to meet in person for the 1st time a descendant of my 5th great-grandmother's brother.... we've been in communication for 3 years thru our genealogy research, but have never met.

fierybug08: we need a boss button :)

freeaainnc: lol fiery, me too

fierybug08: wow...sounds awesome

alt: OOps she's gone LOL

3rdthawkins: sounds great alt

freeaainnc: that is great alt! lol alt, you need to watch the screen while you type :)

alt: can't do that freeaainnc

freeaainnc: need to learn to do it :)

alt: not at my age.....

freeaainnc: you can do it! you just need to learn to memorize the layout of your keyboard and then it is a cinch

3rdthawkins: let's repeat what nutty professor said, "Yes I Can!"

vkn: I agree with alt

freeaainnc: well, I need to get back to work, hope to be in here more now that I'm not sick and not swamped with work

alt: thank you vkn... LOL ..

3rdthawkins: ok, c ya free

alt: take care free

freeaainnc: you too, bye! :)

fierybug08: ya...i'm about to go too.

alt: guess AY is traveling today? I'll turn out the lights vkn LOL LOL

vkn: okies

alt: laters

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy