Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-04-05 Tuesday LunchBuncn

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:31
End: 13:08:48
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, Debbie, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: good morning alt

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild, how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: Doing well, getting plenty of this spring wet weather out here. How are you?

alt: doing fine thank you

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

alt: we have sunshine and kinda nice.. it's on your way LOL Hello Selma, how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: I would like that to be the case, but we have rain scheduled all week! lol I'm finally working on transcribing the 5th USCT HA letter to the soldiers.

Selma: Good afternoon alt and seventies..we have rain and wind..severe thunderstorms suppose to be on the way

alt: so you're okay then grandma, other than the weather.

Selma: Yes, except I am obsessed with these RG 105 letters.

Seventies Soulchild: :}

alt: finding some good stuff, huh?

Selma: Found a man writing from Ohio asking his wife to come with their children to Ohio..he has found work

alt: he came to God's country and found work. LOL

Selma: Asking the Bureau to provide transportation..I found him in 1870 in Ohio with the wife and children I believe in Fairfield county

Seventies Soulchild: Sounds like this information may fill in missing information. Sounds like good stuff Selma

Selma: 4 respectable colored men in Ohio wrote affadavits for him...

alt: Fairfield, ah so.. that's central Ohio near Lancaster....

Selma: Last name Kenner/Kinar

Seventies Soulchild: Now the letters you've read so far all the people originated in VA?

Selma: AFternoon daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Hi daviss

alt: hello daviss. okay Selma .. will look for them ca the 1870's forward in the census.

Selma: They are dealing with the Bureau in VA... There are probably the same types of letters and lists in the states you research.. Where ever the Bureau operated..especially during the WAr and up to about 1872

alt: my latest is working the genealogy of Aileen Cole Stewart, the AA WW I nurse from Piqua, Ohio, a descenadant of the Randolph slaves.

Selma: Look for Benjamin Kennar in 1870 with wife Franciis..I will send you the links to the letters in RG105 The VA Project was done seventies in hopes that folks would be inspired to index the other states

Seventies Soulchild: ok lol VA always gets first dibs... lol

Selma: No...the folks in VA pushed it first.. For a change black folk were telling folks what was Important

Seventies Soulchild: Well that is a first.

alt: We're putting together an article for our upcoming Newsletter on Aileen Cole Stewart since she is born in this area and her connections are to the Miami Valley... she lived from 1893-1996 and in Ohio, DC. CA & died in WAshington State.

Selma: That is wonderful alt..sounds like she had an incredible life

alt: a trailblazer Selma, kinda like you ladies with your genealogy efforts.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Debbie

alt: Hello Debbie, how are ya today?

Selma: Trying to butter us up alt.. LOL

alt: well maybe just a little Selma :))

Seventies Soulchild: :}

Selma: So how goes the research Debbie and luck at the Historical Society? It was you in Goochland right..the brain is fuzzy

Debbie: oh, it goes... I find more questions than answers, but thats part of the excitement. Documented sooo many marriages, just going thru that register . Yep Goochland.

Selma: Wonderful We always land up with more questions..thats why we are still at it.. LOL

alt: sounds great Debbie

Selma: We are having a seminar on Saturday in Hampton, VA you should drive down..

Debbie: LOL.... ain't that the truth. Am gonna need some help in doing some sort of conversion from the genealogy program I'm using. Sat. is my day in state archives... what is the seminar on?

Seventies Soulchild: What program are you using Debbie?

alt: what are you using now Debbie

Selma: AY and Dru are doing presentation on Using Civil War era records, USCT Pension and Service Records, FB records..etc..

Debbie: Family trees quick and easy 5. Its probably 10-15 yrs old I know its been updated numerous times since

Seventies Soulchild: Roots Magic... :)

Debbie: cool. can you give me times and location & I'll see if I can make it.

alt: I highly recommend Roots Magic version 4 www.rootsmagic.com

Seventies Soulchild: I agree w/alt You can do all sorts of things with Roots Magic.

Debbie: cool, I'll take a look at it. I really want to be able to show the family connections thru marriages, generations to demonstrate how this whole community inter-married for the past 150 yrs.

alt: Seventies Soulchild, I was with the author of RM at the OGS Conference this past weekend... Bruce Buzbee & his wife, really nice down to earth people.

Seventies Soulchild: They're really trying to get the word out about their product. that's great!

alt: RM will do a great job of that for you Debbie and they have many types of 'ready-made' listings for you to use after you've input your data.

Seventies Soulchild: Including the reports.

alt: and you can incorporate photos & notes with your 'products'

Debbie: I can do reports, trees, ancestors, etc. w/this one now, but it just wont show me the full picture. I've got pics, notes, documentation, etc... but I want to be able to see ALL 869 people at once and their connections

Selma: Give me your email address and Iwill send you the registration form Debbie..

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not sure if there is a tree merge. Do you know if this feature exists alt?

Debbie: thx... newdebtoyou@hotmail.com

alt: yep, I've put together a 'tree' that is 90+ feet long, 3 feet high and has 2,000 folks on it .. lots of work tho'/

Debbie: thas what I'm talkin bout! :)

Seventies Soulchild: I hadn't tried it yet. Don't want to mess up the files I already have.

alt: I can't copy & paste the link Debbie, but a photo of the tree is on my website 'Art's Families & Other folks" in one of the photo albums.

Selma: I just sent you the info Debbie

Debbie: I"ll be sure to check it... I want person #32 to be able to follow the lines to see how they connect to person #572 .

Seventies Soulchild: http://mydatabase.tribalpages.com/ There you go Debbie

Debbie: thx 70's and Selma!

Seventies Soulchild: Just looking over your page about the Randolph slaves, the bit about manumission. The 1840's was around the time of Liberian repatriation right? hellooooooo. . .

alt: hello

daviss: back

Seventies Soulchild: how was your coffee daviss?

alt: computer acting up

daviss: no coffe seventies, I had to go on another venture lol lol

alt: Seventies Soulchild, don't think the Randolph group was involved with the ACS movement & Liberia.

Selma: The Liberian colonization starts earlier thanthat seventies

daviss: I have to keep refreshing my page

Seventies Soulchild: Thought it was still going on through that time. . . the1840's

daviss: did I say hello to you Debbie

Seventies Soulchild: ok now you mean to tell me everyone except Selma and I are having computer issues??

alt: Debbie, are you back to when Goochland was fromed from Henrico co., that is my time period for the LaForce, Mosby, Michaux and other French Hugueneot families.

Debbie: I'm here..... hello Davis

Selma: It continues thru that time frame seventies..but it started before then is all I amsaying

daviss: I have been having them seventies for awhile now sorry to say

Seventies Soulchild: Oh okay. Thought I had wrong info. :)

Debbie: alt, I've done research,reading on that era, but have not followed my lines unbroken to that point yet

Selma: Were your lines free or enslaved Debbie...or both

Seventies Soulchild: daviss, don't feel bad my son downloaded a trojan and I was so upset. I had to delete his account.

Selma: Every time my grandson gets on my computer..I am never sure what I will find..

Seventies Soulchild: He has a trigger finger when it comes to pop ups and a love for online gaming....

alt: okay Debbie, my 'brickwall' is how did my ancestors become slaves of the LaForce family ca 1730's?

Debbie: both to best of my knowledge. some evidence of them in free community, as well as enslaved. Nothing yet definitive

Selma: On line gambling..How old is that child

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

ProfDru: hello gang

Seventies Soulchild: no not gambling... gaming like video games.. lol Hi ProfDru and AYWalton

AYWalton: Howdy alt, daviss, Dibbie, Ms. Selma, SoulChile! ProfDru is in da house!!

Selma: The dynamic duo arrives together..are you two plotting a coup d'etat

Seventies Soulchild: lol

daviss: hi there AYWalton and ProfDru!

AYWalton: what you talkin' bout Willis?

Debbie: Lol... gaming/gambling. Hi profdru/ Walton

AYWalton: lol

alt: Debbie, there is an account of NA connections to the LaFrorce slaves and children being born form those connections ca the 1750's ... in Goochland Co.

ProfDru: lol selma

AYWalton: wassup Ms. Selma???

alt: Hello AYWalton & ProfDru

AYWalton: I have to call you later today. Just finished making Selma's presentation pretty, for Saturday.

Debbie: NA connections? whats that alt?

alt: Native American

Debbie: cool, got ya

Selma: Oh online gaming...sorry seventies..I thought I read gambling

Seventies Soulchild: Could there have been an indentured servant type of relationship alt?

alt: there is an intervirew in the Draper Manuscript's about the LaForce mulatto slave and her 5 yellow children by an 'Indian' No Seventies Soulchild, these were slaves....

Selma: Indians were enslaved in VA..and they didn't manumitt the ones that were after the passed the law that ended Indian slavery

AYWalton: what happened to them Selma. Has anyone every followed up?

alt: Selma, the time frame for my sitiaution would be between 1720 & 1750.

Seventies Soulchild: Bye all. have a good day.

Selma: They landed up in the slave community

AYWalton: and what part of VA? I know that so many died from disease.

Selma: Death from disease and enslavement..

alt: mine is the Goochland/Henrico County areas AYWalton and the tribes are thought to be Pamunkey, possibly Shawnee before their migration to the Ohio Valley.

AYWalton: interesting, alt.

Selma: There are some cases of folks going to court asking for release because they were descedants of Indians..some got it I would think tha those who were trapped were trapped

AYWalton: probably true.

Selma: There was also traffic of Indians from New England..

AYWalton: So many untold stories out there.

Selma: Have to find my syllabus..the New England tribes would sell members of the defeated tribes south

Debbie: Have read a lot about those indians alt who carved the "three notched trail" which is today three chopt rd. running from Henrico to blue ridge mtns.

Selma: Slavery was a business ..

alt: I see the Pamunkey have State recognition as a tribe/nation and are now seeking federal recognition.

Debbie: they have annual pow-wow here ... I attended couple of yrs ago. Also reservation in Charles city county-- about 20 mins. east of richmond

alt: and there is 'much' documentation on Pamunkey & AA connections during the period I'm speaking of 1690-1730.

AYWalton: Debbie where are you based? I always envy VA researchers as there are so many great resources.

daviss: me too AyWalton. not only Va but La has rich resourses

ProfDru: gotta run

AYWalton: quite true.

Debbie: Goochland/Henrico border

Selma: Lordy, lordy..just got a phone call from an 84 year old man

AYWalton: what did he want?

Selma: whose Ggrandfather "served the confederacy"..

AYWalton: oh my! and he wanted you to find his ancestor?

Selma: He saw our ad in the paper about the Seminar He has his records

daviss: oh my is right!

alt: as a Black soldier????

Debbie: wow... beautiful!!

Selma: Yes a slave

daviss: what was his name

Selma: His ancestor died in 1941 he met his twice..

AYWalton: he wants to come and share his papers?

Selma: Yes..I had him and his wife on the phone talking at once... LOL

daviss: lol

alt: that's sounds wonderful Selma

Selma: As a black slave serving the confederacy he worked on the battlements in Richmond

AYWalton: was he a friendly man?

Selma: He is a minister.. LOL This is too too much

daviss: whats his name Selma, his ancestor

AYWalton: hmm..............I hope the local SCV chapter does not come, Selma. lol

Selma: He didn't say..I could hardly get a word in edgewise..he said maybe someone could come to his house and see the records..he is 84

Debbie: :}

Selma: So far have not heard from the the SCV I think I need a nap.. lOL or an Excedrine..

AYWalton: lol

daviss: lol lol

alt: sounds like a job for ProfDru Selma.... camera & equipment to record and interview with this gentleman for your AAHGS chapter.

AYWalton: did you put an announcement in the papers, Selma?

Selma: Oh yes

AYWalton: uh oh......... lol

Debbie: after one of those, you need to take a breath..... or a nap will do:}

AYWalton: or a drink!

Debbie: that too!!! LOL,,,

Selma: I am going to send them a registraiton form today..they live in Hampton

alt: at least the man is saying his ancestor was a slave who 'served' the confederacy and not a soldier in the confederate amry.

AYWalton: have to run

Debbie: I"m done too... Selma grab that drink and nap! Ya'll have a great day!

daviss: lol bye debbie

Selma: I have to run folks

alt: laters daviss

daviss: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy