Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-03-21 Monday Lunch Bunch

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:08
End: 13:20:06
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: hi daviss! Turn your volume up! lol

daviss: heyy there

Seventies Soulchild: Missed you guys this weekend. :} How was the meet?

daviss: Its turned all the way up. I can't figure out why I can't hear it or why I can no longer copy and paste lol give a 2 finger knee grow time to type hi alt!

Seventies Soulchild: On the bottom of your scrren just above the typing box, there is a menu. One of the icons looks like a speaker. Make sure that it doesn't have the (/) symbol on it.

alt: hello daviss & Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Hi alt!

daviss: the meet was great,, Tyler did well

Seventies Soulchild: good

alt: wonderful daviss, "da boy got 'potenita"' as Richard Pryor used to say. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol It snowed here today. . . :(

daviss: Tucson was crowded with lots of cars and people.. track meet, march madness, wrestling matches, etc etc etc

Seventies Soulchild: tea party rallies... lol

daviss: he is learning alt lol

Seventies Soulchild: Arizona is a MESS

alt: wow!, but it should warm up , so it won't be around as long as it was a month or two ago, right? that's right the NCAA was in Tucson this past weekend.

Seventies Soulchild: Hopefully not, but snow is expected later this week. The weather is tripping.

daviss: there is supposed to be a storm coming through here sometime today

Seventies Soulchild: stay safe then daviss.

daviss: yes alt and lots of people from all over

alt: Tucson made BIG money this past weekend then LOL

daviss: they sure did..

Seventies Soulchild: I contacted my cousin today, she posted another photo of a family member. So now all the photos of the Washington children are online with the exception of Elijah Washington.

daviss: thats nice seventies..Does anyone have a pic of him

alt: how many children and they are the children of ????

Seventies Soulchild: I'm very excited about that. saved the photos on my flash drive. So far daviss, no one. I spoke to his daughter last month, but she doesn't have a photo. So I'm working on seeing if I can get in touch with the children in Arkansas perhaps.

alt: can yu crop them and post the 'head shots' to their Bio in your gen software package?

Seventies Soulchild: I've been having issues with that alt. I downloaded photos from my ancestry tree, but all they show are the links on ancestry.

daviss: ancestry is getting very sneaky

alt: not Ancestry, but your package, the one you send a GEDCOM from to load on ancestry. like FTM, Roots Magic, Legacy ????

Seventies Soulchild: yes they are daviss. Well ancestry did allow me to download the gedcom, but again all I'm getting are links and not the actual photos or documents I uploaded onto the site. I've downloaded this information to RootsMagic

alt: GEDCOM I don't think has the ability to handle photos.

Seventies Soulchild: ok that is a plausible explaination I'll just have to continue loading them from my computer.

alt: I think the head shots add 'body' to the ancestor charts & family group sheets.

Seventies Soulchild: These photos are a hodge podge

alt: Family lines that are on Facebook have added greatly to collecting photos of both older & younger generations.

daviss: I have all the photos of my maternal grandmothers sis and brothers except one.. No one can figure out where it is. I have seen it when I was a young girl though

Seventies Soulchild: daviss, for all you know it could've been thrown in the trash. Especially if the person who had it passed away.

alt: that'll drive you crazy daviss, knowing there is a photo somewhere and being unable to locate it.

daviss: It was one of those portraits with a really nice frame

Seventies Soulchild: Then there are the collectors... Hello Selma

alt: ouch that hurts daviss, I remember one of my my mother sitting on her mother's lap and her father in his WW I uniform standing beside them.. A real treasure and no one knows anyhting about what might of happened to it.

daviss: hello Sel!

Selma: Afternoon folks

Seventies Soulchild: that is painful alt...

alt: Hello Selma, how is ya? LOL

daviss: sheesh alt I know that is heartbreaking too

Seventies Soulchild: Are you all getting snow there Selma?

Selma: Snow? good heavens no..are you? It is cloudy, had some rain this AM..suppose to get rain later on this afternoon

daviss: then you have all those picture thiefs in the family :?

Seventies Soulchild: I told y'all the story of my cousin Margaret who found family photos in a shack in Alabama... Photos from the 1800's

alt: yep, those that 'hoard' pics & information. you could just kick'em in the patootie.

daviss: no I had not heard that one seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Shje

daviss: lol rats patootie

Seventies Soulchild: She's the one who traced the Smith family tree into the early 1800's I am thankful that she was able to get those pictures!

daviss: oh wow seventies how did she happen to go to a shack

Selma: Whose shack was it

Seventies Soulchild: One of her aunts out on Smith family land. Which there is or was quite a bit of at one time.

daviss: I see, well that makes sense

Seventies Soulchild: My line has the misfortune of being the ones who sold a large chunk of the land. Embarrassing. One of my dad's cousins. That is one subject that will not go away... lol

Selma: LOL

daviss: no such thing as getting everyones signature is it

alt: loss of family land... ever hear the term 'daughtering out'? Thisis when the surviving children are daughters and they or their husbands don't have an interest in maintaining the property within the family... so the property is sold of, or whatever and leaves the family.

Seventies Soulchild: I've never heard of that. Well the smith's had a lot of daughters.

daviss: sheesh its heir property in texas and every heir has to sigh even if you have 70 or 80

alt: happens frequently Seventies Soulchild .. one reason to check for when property gets out of a family's hands.

Seventies Soulchild: Is there a specific time frame that this is associated with alt?

alt: nope Seventies Soulchild, it's genearational and it may take several geneartions before all of the family has been removed from ownership.

Seventies Soulchild: ah I see.

3rdthawkins: hello alt daviss Selma and Seventies

daviss: hello 3rd

Selma: Hi 3rd

Seventies Soulchild: I'm afraid that this may happen with my grandmother's land... hopefully not.

alt: hello 3rdthawkins, how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: both of my grandmothers

daviss: you have boys seventies

3rdthawkins: doing good alt, see you all are talking about photos

daviss: or am I missing something

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I do, but my grandmothers were always the ones with the inherited land

daviss: can't they pass it on to their children

Seventies Soulchild: One grandmother died before this could happen. The other grandmother had a living trust, I guess that's what its called, and the land was turned over to my father and his siblings. Currently the land is being taken care of by my relations in the south. But I see big problems ahead with that. That's enough land talk because that is a very sore subject with me. Especially in terms of generational wealth.

daviss: our ancestors visions sometimes don't pan out the way they want them to after they are gone

Seventies Soulchild: No it often doesn't daviss. But their hearts and minds are in the right place for sure.

daviss: of course, that what they worked so hard for

Selma: Folks gotta run..have anice day

3rdthawkins: I won't be able to find my grgr gm's photo in SC that was "lost"

alt: you wanted to talk about photos 3rdthawkins?

3rdthawkins: was thinking about my grgr gm's photo that I was trying to get, it was in the possession of her firstborn daughter but when the daughter died, the last husband got rid of all of the stuff, including that huge photo of my grgr gm, so don't think I will be able to get it find it

alt: that's just one photo 3rdthawkins, don't lose hope there may other photos of her out there somewhere.

3rdthawkins: I hope so, I am definitely looking for one of my grgr gf,

daviss: mabe one of her kids got it after her death

3rdthawkins: my gf's cousin is helping me to locate some photos of them, if possible

alt: you never know what might turn up as you discover other family members/lines

Seventies Soulchild: Best of luck with that 3rd. Sometimes photos show up in the strangest places.

3rdthawkins: she didn't have any kids daviss, the last husband just threw away all of those things thx Seventies

daviss: what about her sisters and brothers..perhaps they came and got them

3rdthawkins: um, I don't know, good question, I wonder who if anyone, but as my gf's cousin told me, this husband actually got rid of all of her things

daviss: well you never know.. sometimes folks will tell you to come get what you want

alt: I was given a photo of my mother when she was 1-2 y/o by a cousin I barely know... we met at a reunion years ago and i haven't seen her since.

daviss: everything else goes out

3rdthawkins: yep, I'm hoping someone has something

Seventies Soulchild: wow alt

daviss: thats awesome alt!

3rdthawkins: wow, that is cool alt

alt: so you never know 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: yeah, I know what you mean alt

Seventies Soulchild: brb cousin wendy is updating the tree on ancestry.

daviss: I was given a photo last year of my great uncle. My cousins wife had it for years.

alt: the only photos I have of my fathere were given to me by elderly cousins who were his niece & nephew. they died with 4-5 years after giving me the photos... I had only know of them a couple of years before they died.

daviss: They had been seperated for at least 25 yrs but kept the picture

alt: so keep the faith 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: I'll try and see who I can get in contact with in the family that is connected to the Sanders line, my gfs cousin is trying to help also.......ok, I will alt, thx

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

3rdthawkins: hello AY

Seventies Soulchild: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: hi 3rd

daviss: afternoon to you also AYWalton!

AYWalton: greetings, alt, daviss, SoulChile

alt: hello & good afternoon AYWalton

daviss: how's it going with you AY?

AYWalton: hope everyone is well. doing fine, daviss and you?

3rdthawkins: :)

alt: getting better by the day AYWalton LOL

daviss: going good so far

AYWalton: that's good to know. busy preparing for speaking events.

alt: okay

daviss: when is your next one is that the one with Selma's group

AYWalton: let me se.... I have Selma's group on April 9th.

daviss: not that far away this month is going pretty fast

AYWalton: true. I have 2 presentations on that day, so getting prepared.

daviss: with the same people/ ?

AYWalton: yes, I will present in the morning and in the afternoon.

daviss: ah!

AYWalton: both are on Civil War research.

alt: so, will thes be 'new' presentations, or do you have some that could be 'adapted' for the date?

AYWalton: one is how to document the first days of freedom, in communities where there were USCTs.

Seventies Soulchild: OK back. So AYWalton, you've got two upcoming speaking engagements, huh?

AYWalton: the other one will be how to reconstruct the history of a community through specific records. oh I have several, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: Congrats. :}

daviss: Have you figured out the titles yet AYWalton

AYWalton: have had several already this year. yes.

Seventies Soulchild: thought I read two

AYWalton: I was referring to two on April 9th. Two sessions.

Seventies Soulchild: oh I see.

AYWalton: Drusilla is also presenting on that day.

daviss: I know that the audience on both sets will be very satisfied.. and with Dru's as well

AYWalton: well I hope so. Still tweaking powerpoints. Tyring to make them look good.

daviss: You know you got it going on Balanta Woman!

AYWalton: lol trying to. will get there eventually, I hope.

daviss: If I had the dough I would send for you to come here and present

AYWalton: do you all have a genealogy group in Phoenix? I thought there was one in Tuscon, once upon a time.

daviss: we are just starting up again I think Tucson still has one

AYWalton: There was a man from AZ, Richard Harris who had written a book about blacks in Arizona. I think he was in Tuscon, but not sure.

daviss: yes I knew him

AYWalton: He passed away though. was he in Phoenix or Tuscon?

daviss: yes, he lived in Apache Junction just outside of Phoenix

alt: When I was on the 'circuit' I had about 6-7 basic presentations that were adaptable so it was a metter of labeling each presentation and adding/deleting PP slides for a specific audience. Do you do something similar to that AYWalton?

Seventies Soulchild: lunch time is up. Have a good day all! :)

AYWalton: yes, I do modify the presentations to fit the audience and/or the setting, alt.

alt: my mian topics were Beginning, FPOC & UGRR research. Hello vkn.

daviss: hello vkn!

AYWalton: Greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vkn: howdy to all

AYWalton: hope you are well, today, vkn.

vkn: hey hey hey i b goog 2 day ay a

daviss: you do still present dont you alt

vkn: good

alt: not much daviss and really only to 'local' gene societies.

daviss: you should put in for the one in SLC when they call for papers or even in Indy

alt: who me??? No way!!!!

daviss: I bet you would be terrific

alt: why thank you ma'am, but I'd rather listen anymore and see what he younger generation is doing. LOL

daviss: ok I guess that will work

AYWalton: it is always good to hear what folks have to share alt, and you have good ideas.

alt: that's my move now AYWalton, the Q & A and then the after lecture 'networking' with the presenters.

AYWalton: well I agree with you about the networking. that's the best part, to me!

alt: for sure,, you get the real scoop in those after lecture sessions.

daviss: the "real" scoop lol

AYWalton: oh yes!!

daviss: I see... I sure am missing out

AYWalton: you have to make plans to attend the Summit in 2012, daviss.

daviss: I went to the wrong end of the car lol

vkn: not to miss daviss jump in

AYWalton: in Salt Lake City.

daviss: bar

AYWalton: I suspect that will be a good event, no doubt.

daviss: that is my plan AYWalton.. I am saving up for our Daviss reunion in July so after that I will have to save for Oct

AYWalton: where will the reunion take placE?

daviss: At least SLC is not all the way across the USA from me

AYWalton: that's true. much closer for you.

daviss: We are planning for a reunion cruise, leaving from Galveston

AYWalton: that sounds very nice, daviss. several days or a 1 day cruise?

vkn: it does

daviss: so it will be more expensive for me several days

AYWalton: going into Mexico?

daviss: not sure where just yet AYWalton...

vkn: yall be good

daviss: later vkn They should have something worked out by the next meeting

AYWalton: how many folks attend the reunion, usually?

daviss: well the last one in Atlanta they had about 60 that went but they all came from texas me and my kids are the farthest away

AYWalton: is that right? that's not bad. I was about to ask where most of the folks lived.

daviss: airline tickets for 4 plus reunion fees, cruise fees and other things mabe hotel

AYWalton: that can add up real fast, daviss. well, I am gonna sign off. Will holla at ya later.

daviss: sheesh, I think I would rather skip and go to SLC lol lol

AYWalton: lol

daviss: ok later

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy