Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-03-20 SunMornBrnch

*SunMornBrnch

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 10:34:50
End: 12:59:42
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, jhonora, Khathu, ProfDru, Selma, statustray, vkn

jhonora: Morning statustray

statustray: hey there jhonora... sorry i didn't see your msg til just now... was in another window and watching the dvr too

jhonora: That's alright, we all multi-task while chatting.

statustray: so you doing alright today? oh and i like mma events, so i am also watching that ppv event from last night too... hehe any new developments for you in genealogy or reunions?

jhonora: Doing fine, one major development, I received a death cert. that gives me another generation on my paternal grandfather's side.

statustray: nice!! congratulations to you and the family ;-)

jhonora: Any new discoveries on your end?

statustray: a very similar thing, but instead of a death cert, i have a ss-5 for my great-great grandmother's maternal side that provided her maiden name and also her parents too!

jhonora: Really, the ss-5 is for which ancestor?

statustray: a ss-5 is a application for someone would use to apply for a social security card

jhonora: Was is for your g-g-grandmother?

statustray: yes, sure was

jhonora: Wow, when was she born?

statustray: she was born around 1888 or maybe a few years earlier - but in the mid to late 1880s let me grab it real quick and look to see what it says on the app

jhonora: Most of my g-g-generation was born in 1850s to 1870s. They died or were old when SS came out.

statustray: born 1888 and applied in 1938

jhonora: I just did some quick figuring, my oldest g-g-grandparent was born ca. 1840 Did it give you any info about her occupation at the time?

statustray: no, just the business name... and that's hard to make out... but life's good though because i didn't have that before... i'm ecstatic ;-)

jhonora: That is great!

statustray: yes i do feel good indeed... heh

jhonora: Where did your ancestor live?

statustray: MS

jhonora: What part?

statustray: smith, jones, jasper, and covington counties

jhonora: Jasper county, near Rose Hill?

statustray: yes Rose Hill is in Jasper county

jhonora: My paternal grandmother lives in Rose Hill. My folks are from Shubuta/Waynesboro and have family in Pachuta.

statustray: small world indeed ;-) i have a few kinfolk over in Waynesboro... been there several times when i was a teenager while going back to MS to visit for the summer... but at the time i didn't know i had kinfolk there, and learned that later in life so, it's good to know who your kinfolk are, and where they are too... hehe... i've been to Shubuta before as well with one of my aunt's... she took me out there to show me different places/communities/towns

jhonora: Our family names are Nelson, Evans, and Brown. From across the state line in Choctaw Co., Alabama, I have DuBose, Turner, Ridgeway, Compton, Ezell.

statustray: my family names are Duck(s)worth, Knight, Jones, Key(e)s, Thomas, Broomfield and others I don't know much about the Jones family line though... that's one of my brick walls

jhonora: I think I asked before, do you have Ducksworth kin in N.O.? I know some Ducksworth/Duckworth from N.O. who originated in Ms.

statustray: yes i do have some family there in NO - who originated in MS

jhonora: They run Sassafras Restaurant out in eastern New Orleans.

statustray: Yeah i remember you telling me that... although i haven't been able to confirm/deny... whenever i talk with one of those family members... i always forget to ask... and to think i have it as one of my "to do's" ;(

jhonora: If I remember right, they are in St. Paul's Church parish.

statustray: hmmm... i didn't have that in my note.. i'll add that now.. thanks for telling me that... and also if you told me, i for sure didn't record that... my bad do you use/have microsoft office?

jhonora: I use word, powerpoint, excel...

statustray: oh ok... i have office 2007 and it has an app called OneNote... but I haven't really used it... it is supposed to be able to handle your notes and help you locate it after the fact.... etc, etc... I really need to dig down in that to assist me with keeping and organizing my notes also, i will be right back in 2 mins

jhonora: I have that too. I fiddled with it for a bit but never did learn all its functions or how to use it advantageously.

statustray: ok i'm back... yeah, that's exactly my issue as well... i do think it can help... but... i haven't gotten wise on good examples of its use Hi there Selma... how u doing?

jhonora: Morning Selma!

Selma: Good Sunday mornin everyone

statustray: :}

Selma: \good morning alt

jhonora: Morning alt!

alt: hello jhonora, Selma & statustray

Selma: good morning Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey alt, jhonora, Selma & statustray

alt: 'morning Ingrid_Doweary

jhonora: Morning Ingrid

Khathu: hello everyone

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Statusray, I need to get familiar with my OneNote as well. Hey Khathu.

Selma: \Mornin Khathu

alt: before I forget.. just received a message fro Irita Canady, an AfriGeneas person & former chatter... her father is very serioulsy ill his condition is grave.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Selma, what's the name of the Black history library in Alexandria, VA? I'm sorry to hear that, Alt.

alt: I f anyone cares to send her a message of prayer her email is RitCan@comcast.net Selma, help me to reminf some of the 'older' chaterrs as they arrive on the conition of Irita's father.

Selma: http://alexandriava.gov/BlackHistory

statustray: Hi alt, Ingrid_Doweary, and Khathu. Good morning to you. Alt, thanks for that information on Irita.... i am going to drop her a email.

jhonora: Sorry to hear that, alt

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks, Alt.

alt: that would be wonderful statustray

Selma: Sorry to hear that too alt..

alt: jhonora, You meet her in Ft. Wayne

jhonora: that's right, I remember well. From Ypsilanti.

alt: close.... Muskegon LOL

jhonora: Selma, are you familiar with Petersburg, Virginia?

Selma: I have been there..or I should say I have driven thru..does that count Dru can probably help you jhonora

alt: Hello Khathu, how are ya?

jhonora: Ok, I'll ask her when she's in. I was researching a Maria Good from near Petersburg.

Selma: What are you looking for Jhonora Who is Maria Good?

alt: what county is Petersburg jhonora?

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks Selma. On Friday, I was trying to remember the name for an archives visitor from Chicago.

jhonora: Can't remember the county it used to be in, it's independent now, alt.

Selma: Petersburg is an independent city..near richmond which is also an independent city

Khathu: good but busy with work

alt: okay jhonora... I ask because there are many Good(e) family's located in this area from VA.

Khathu: genealogy has been put on hold for the time being

alt: get your priorities together Khathu LOL

Khathu: i did get a letter from the VA regarding the CW pension application i request

Selma: Wow..Khathu new job

jhonora: At the fpc museum here, they have three or four original documents related to her. She was a free woman who was brought by her owner from near Petersburg to New Orleans, was freed, affiliated with local free "american" black population, had her girls educated, bought property and died while girls were just teens.

Selma: Who was her owner. There is a book on FB women in Petersburg..

alt: ah so, that's interesting jhonora, taking someone South and then freeing them, cours I guess new Orleans would be an exception to that rule.

jhonora: I think Edward Barnett but could be another man, i'm searching for notes now.

Ingrid_Doweary: Interesting history lesson as usual, Jhonora. Good luck with the new job, Khathu.

Selma: Khathu what did they say about the CW pension record?

Ingrid_Doweary: :}

alt: I was reading on FPOC and found this interesting... in 1830-1840 census records there were more free blacks in MS than in Ohio....

Khathu: that it was not at the VA Administration but in Baltimore at the Federal Record Center.

Selma: Oh that interesting Khathu, what office or department in Baltimore? Oop

Khathu: So my request was forwarded there

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Daviss

daviss: hello everyone!

jhonora: I could believe that alt, the closer we came to the war, the more the fanatics and folks who wanted satus quo sought to circumscribe freedom of free blacks.

alt: hello daviss... did Tyler run well?

Selma: Did they say what it was there..and not at VA Admin So how many FB's were in MS and how many in Ohio?

Ingrid_Doweary: While assisting an A-Am gentlemen at the NA on Friday, I was surprise to see a 1860 census record of a Black slave owner's family.

alt: at that time less than 2,000 in each State Selma,

Ingrid_Doweary: in MD.

daviss: sorry alt I was scrolling back

Selma: Mornin daviss

alt: okay daviss, take your time & catch up.

daviss: Tyler did well we don't change time alt

alt: good daviss, glad to hear that Oops, just caught that "no time change' LOL

daviss: lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey ProfDru.

alt: hello ProfDru

Selma: Afternoon Dru

jhonora: Hey ProfDru

Selma: Afternoon vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn.

jhonora: Hello vkn

statustray: Hey there ProfDru, daviss, and vkn

alt: and howdy, howdy to vkn.. hoe be's ya? LOL

ProfDru: hey gang

daviss: hello profdru and vkn

alt: hoe=how

jhonora: ProfDru, are you familiar with Petersburg, Va.?

ProfDru: yes

vkn: Heyyyyy alt daviss Ingrid jhonora khathu ProfDru Selma status :::whew::: yall be lookin good

Ingrid_Doweary: How are you, Vkn?

vkn: fair to partly cloudy ingrid lol

ProfDru: lol vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: lol sounds decent LOL

ProfDru: are you researching Petersburg, Jari?

jhonora: Yes, interesting in an eslaved woman from there, ProfDru.

ProfDru: ok what time period, Jari?

jhonora: She came to N. O., in the early 1830s I would guess. She was freed here in 1836. She died in 1853 at roughly 35/40.

ProfDru: ok

daviss: vkn any luck with that new gen search engine besides what you had input over the years antone else have any luck with it anyone Mocavo search engine

alt: looked at it yesterday daviss

Ingrid_Doweary: I haven't really dived into it yet, Daviss.

ProfDru: Has anyone every looked at the confederate civil war service records?

alt: saw a lot of post to afrigeneas

Ingrid_Doweary: Still trying to find my place in the genealogy field.

alt: just a little ProfDru ..

daviss: thats what I saw also alt.. no I ProfDru

AYWalton: Good morning all.

ProfDru: I looked this morning at some of the white Pair slaveowners from Greensville County, VA where my ancestors were from. Records are different than that of the Union.

daviss: hello AYWalton!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AY good to see you!

vkn: not had a chance daviss

AYWalton: greetings alt, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, jhonora,

ProfDru: one of the white pairs was woundeded, his brother was promoted during his military tenure.

jhonora: Hey AYWalton!

ProfDru: Angela in da house.

AYWalton: howdy khathu, ProfDru (in da house!), Ms. Selma, statustray

Selma: Afternoon AY

alt: Hello AYWalton

AYWalton: greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vkn: heyyyyyyyyyy

Ingrid_Doweary: Got a question for you, AY.

AYWalton: sure Ingrid.

ProfDru: hoping military search of the white Pairs will give be some new info, especially on the father of these two soldiers.

alt: just got off the phone with Irita... she & family are doing well and prepared for anything that might happen.

AYWalton: have you done research on the county level, ProfDru on some of the white Pair? I am thinking of pre-Civil War records. how is Irita? Where is she and what is happening?

Ingrid_Doweary: Encountered a lady from Gaithersburg, MD. She needs to consult a genealogy society member about researching multiple branches of her ancestry. Who would you recommend from the Central aahgs chapter?

ProfDru: yes angela--I have numerous docs on this family.

alt: her father has taken a serious turn in health AYWalton

AYWalton: I would talk with Alice Harris, the president of the group. oh I am sorry to hear that, alt.

ProfDru: one Pair doc is a slave inventory which does not include my ancestors, but does included an alledged sibling of one of them.

alt: a notice of well wishes & prayers may be sent to RitCan@comcast.net

AYWalton: Ingrid, is the lady's family a MD family?

ProfDru: inventory was from January 1864.

Ingrid_Doweary: Is there contact information for Alice Harris, AY? The lady resides in Gaithersburg, but some of her family roots begin in Charleston, SC.

Selma: Whose inventory Dru?

alt: Ingrid_Doweary, would that be keli1's group?

Selma: Keli is in Central VA

ProfDru: Howell Pair, a slaveowner in Greensville County, VA

AYWalton: has she done any work herself, or is she just at a brick wall? If she just wants anyone, she can use the APG directory, online.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm not family with any of the local MD aahgs groups right now. I've got a lot to learn.

ProfDru: Willis Pair was in the inventory and his descendants say they are kin to my grandfather Mack Pair.

Ingrid_Doweary: She has compiled notes from oral interviews and needs to actually conduct her own research of primary sources.

ProfDru: Another slave in the inventory, Allen Pair, migrated to Leavenworth, KS, after war and became a minister.

Selma: Did you tell her tocome to AFrigeneas Ingrid?

AYWalton: I wonder if she is actually closer to DC than Central MD. The red line runs from Shady Grove into downtown DC. She might benefit from a trip to the Archives as well.

alt: one thing I would reommend to her Ingrid_Doweary, is a good genealogy software package for her notes Ingrid_Doweary, if she isn't already using FTm, RM, Legacy, etc.

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay, AY, I'll give her a brochure. Right now I don't know for how long, her financial resources are limited and she doesn't have a home computer.

alt: oh, no computer is a bummer,

AYWalton: then I would also encourage her to make a trip to the Archives. She might even be there one day when you are there, volunteering.

Ingrid_Doweary: I offered to mail her some blank family group sheets and blank pedigree charts with a print out of the AfriGeneas Getting Started Tutorial.

alt: however that might be a plug for putting her 'notes' etc. on the Ancestry or some similar site that can be accessed from the Library computers.

ProfDru: alt, I was about to ask about Ancestry's family tree.

Ingrid_Doweary: Since coming to the DC archives is currently costly to her, I'm looking into some Montgomery County repositories she could get to.

AYWalton: encourage her to attend the Kensington LDS family history day coming up.

Selma: Her local library might have access to Ancestry Ingrid..has she checked?

alt: I don't recommend them ProfDru, especially as Public trees , where others have the ability to add/edit

AYWalton: or a local Gaithersburg LDS center.

ProfDru: ok alt

Ingrid_Doweary: People tend to have problems using Ancestry when they're not familiar with the navigational strategies.

alt: now that's a 'personal' opinion ProfDru... not to be taken as the 'gospel' LOL

AYWalton: well each site does bring a learning curve. But after a while one finds one's way around.

ProfDru: understood alt

Ingrid_Doweary: I did encourage to attend the 2-day Genealogy Fair at the Archives in APril.

alt: that's for sure Ingrid_Doweary, navagating ancestry's trees'

AYWalton: they also have somes classes at the Genealogy Fair at NARA.

Ingrid_Doweary: Navigating the search commands, navigating the databases period.

AYWalton: she has to invest her time there at some point.

vkn: Da gospel 'cording to alt lol

Ingrid_Doweary: I showed the schedule of workshops.

Selma: Sounds like the person needs to collect her notes, fill out a pedigree chart, by HAND......go to Ancestry and start doing the basics, looking for Census records

Ingrid_Doweary: That is for sure.

AYWalton: and living within an hour of the Archives will be time well spent.

alt: you know another invest for her to 'save' her information is in a 'flash drive' she can do her 'work' at the library and save it to the fd...

ProfDru: good advice selma

Ingrid_Doweary: This lady brought her written notes with her to the National Archives, but I had to explain to her the types of records she may encounter there. There were some vital records she needed to acquire from local repositories.

alt: it is then transporatble to any computer at any Library.

Khathu: have a great day everyone

AYWalton: and suggest that she get a good guide book.

ProfDru: does this lady know how to use a computer at all?

AYWalton: she Dee Parmer Woodtor's book and Tony Burrough's books are good.

alt: ah technology... wha type of cell phone does she have?

Ingrid_Doweary: Now that's a great idea. I will include these suggestions in my mailing to her-my one-time donation.

ProfDru: does she even have a cell phone? We assume so much these days.

alt: yes we do ProfDru LOL

Selma: What was she doing when you saw her at the Archives Ingrid

ProfDru: we don't ask do you have a cell phone phone--we ask what is your cell phone number? lol

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm not sure about her competency level for technology. She seems like a beginner with mounds of handwritten oral information from both sides of her family.

Selma: Like I said she needs to FILL out a PEDIGREE C CHART

vkn: true profdru and we ask what is your email addy etc

Selma: Lets start with the BASICS

ProfDru: does she have anyone in her family who can help with this--like a young person?

alt: her next best bet if not into computers/cell phones etc... is one of those carts we used to use to carry our genealogy materials to libraries.

ProfDru: RIGHT VKN agreed selma

Selma: I know it sounds very OLD SCHOOL, but I am telling you I still think it is the very best thing to start with..to organize your HEAD

alt: no doubt Selma.... get those handwritten notes on oral histories transferred to standard basic genealogy documents AC & FGS, etc.

Ingrid_Doweary: A staff member called my attention to her because she was being overwhelmed by what information the lady approached her with. I saw how that happened. I certainly screened her what info she has and where she had been researching. Clearly she needs to organize her information as well as her research with the collection of supporting documenatation. Selma you definitely hit the nail on the head! That was my thinking as well.

alt: AC. FGS, research log,

Selma: Fill out a Pedigree chart.. SHE is NUMBER ONE.. Then complete as much as she can.. Fill out Family Group sheets with what she knows..

ProfDru: these forms can be easily duplicated a filed in a notebook.

Selma: Personally I believ all of that should be in PENCIL..cause you know things aren't always the way you think they are going to be

vkn: It can all be overwhelming sometimes it helps to step back in time and recall "how I got started" and "how I got over" and remember the steps in between

alt: I think the young lady, Lisa Clark, who was in chat earlier this week is a classic exaample of having lots of data with NO organization.... if she would just stop and collect herself with what she already has many of her socalled brickwalls would tumble.

Ingrid_Doweary: Use research form-family group sheet, pedigree sheet, organize file folders of each family branch, attend genealogy workshops, talk with genealogists, shadow other research investigations and be prepared to research history.

Selma: Tell her that her ORAL HISTORY is a guide..but there will be times she has to go Where the RECORDS take her..

AYWalton: quite true. THAT is truly half of a brick wall strategy---organizing what you have.

Selma: and she needs to GO..and not try to make the RECORDS fit the ORAL history cause GRANDMA said it

Ingrid_Doweary: That's exactly what I kept telling her, Selma and will continue to express that.

Selma: (yes sometimes Grandma fibbed)... LOL, but don't tell her that

Ingrid_Doweary: Do worry, I still use my diplomacy skills.

Selma: Oh..and get a map..if you are mailing her something..send her Dollarhides census maps for SC

jhonora: I'm working with some people now who need to let go of oral history lol

AYWalton: and sometimes Grandma repeated something she heard while a child, and possibly mis-heard or misinterpreted because she was a child when she heard it.

Ingrid_Doweary: However, my 1st cousin who I helped inspire has begun a blog.

Selma: That's a HARD road jhonora

Ingrid_Doweary: I hear ya, Jhonora!

alt: vkn, from where/when we started... I have boxes & boxes of 'stuff' stored in the garage from those early days that I refuse to get rid of even tho' most of it has been placed on the computer in one form or another LOL

ProfDru: And sometime Granny changes her story. (I'm going through that now)

AYWalton: lol

vkn: and so do I alt

jhonora: The thing is the truth is close to the story, but they are locked into those details 'mother' told them.

Ingrid_Doweary: I just get more security containers for my file boxes, Alt. :}

Selma: Hey from my perspective Dru..Granny can do what she wants.. LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: Amen, Selma.

statustray: yes, memory is a very funny thing.... hehe....

ProfDru: like some leather snow boots I inherited. Thought she said they were her mother's, now she's saying they were her sisters. lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Indeed it is Statusray.

Selma: lol

Ingrid_Doweary: LOL

ProfDru: Beside they are size 10, I believe they were her mother's. My aunt was tall and wore at least at 11 shoe. lol

statustray: yup, yup, yup.... ;-)

Ingrid_Doweary: LOL LOL OX

vkn: Playing the rumor game is a good example of how memory works

Ingrid_Doweary: Amen, Vkn!

jhonora: My great-aunt says her maternal grandmother was Cherokee one day and Blackfoot the next!

ProfDru: So everytime I've worn these boots, I think about my great grandmother until this last time when my Granny said they were her sister's boots. lol

Ingrid_Doweary: There it is, Jhonora!

Selma: lol

AYWalton: oh my.....

ProfDru: I think my aunt may have actually purchased the boots for her mother. lol

Selma: Poor Dru...

statustray: lol

vkn: jhonora and she may be differetiating maternal and paternal lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Ya cuttin up again!. LOL LOL LOL

vkn: differentiating

ProfDru: I'm sticking with the story that boots belong to my great grandmother. lol

Selma: LOL

statustray: i hear that!

Selma: See thats how it all starts...

ProfDru: And that' the story I'm passing down. lol lol lol

Selma: LOL I think you should do a blog entry on my story of the Boots and I am sticking to IT

Ingrid_Doweary: Indeed, I Concur

statustray: hehehehe...

alt: I remember my mother's mother when she was married to her last husband... she talked about him and my grandfather... I thought she had only been married twice.... genealogy has revealed she was married 4 times and was 7 years older than what she told me LOL LOL

ProfDru: that will be good, selma. I have picture of my wearing boots in deep snow. wow alt

Selma: Don't you love it..I told you genealogy is the Wikileaks of family history

ProfDru: me wearing right selma

AYWalton: I like that statement, Selma.

Selma: I think that would perfect Dru... You can use it AY..just give me Credit..I am collecting CREDITS for my BIO as of right NOW

Ingrid_Doweary: LOL

ProfDru: lol selma

AYWalton: ProfDru who was wearing the boots? I think you lost a word.

statustray: *wow* welcome back daviss

vkn: lol selma wikileaks luv it

AYWalton: wb daviss

Ingrid_Doweary: wb Daviss

ProfDru: I wear boots when it snows really bad.

daviss: booted out as we were talking about boots

ProfDru: i'm sticking with story that they belonged to my great grandmother lol vicky

Selma: So for years Dru has been wearing these boots...thinking for her GGrandmother and her life inthese boots..

vkn: wikilooks bring wikileaks lol

AYWalton: ahhh ok. You have to write a blog post on them, Dru.

ProfDru: lol vkn

Selma: So now she has to change the image, change the time frame...

alt: wow ProfDru, thos emust be some 'sturdy' boots to be used by 3-4 generations.

ProfDru: my aunt died in 1986 and ggmother in 1982. boots are 100% leather with fur inside.

vkn: Same as those shoulders we stand on to search from alt. Mighty sturdy through all generations

alt: and youre' using them almost 30 years later WOW!!!

ProfDru: right

AYWalton: that is great!

Selma: they don't make things like they use too..thats for sure

ProfDru: yep, they come in handy with it snows real deep.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm sure, ProfDru.

ProfDru: yes, I bought a pair of snow boots in the 1990s; they're long gone now.

alt: remarkable ProfDru, I hear ya vkn an dthank God for those shoulders from earlier generations.

AYWalton: Well folks I have to run. Have a great day everyone!

Ingrid_Doweary: Me, too got some writing to catch up on.

Selma: Well folks I have to take the little darlin's to the grocery store...see you all later

daviss: me three bye

Ingrid_Doweary: Have a great day!

ProfDru: me four

Selma: Have a great day

alt: vkn, you mnetioned Mocavo (sp) ..

statustray: take care everyone!!

vkn: yes alt have you tried it

alt: I did and it isn't quite ready for 'prime time' yet, but thsy said that what we see is just an initial offering.

vkn: have you tried it jhonora

jhonora: Not yet.

vkn: and it is powerful alt even in its infancy

alt: course that 'search box' needs some 'splaining vkn... oh yeah, it's gonna be a great tool no doubt vkn

vkn: on phone

alt: okay, gotta run Hoop time.. y'all take care

jhonora: Bye y'all

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy