Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-03-19 SatNite Welcome bbennett

*SatNiteChat

*SatNiteChat

Start: 21:08:53
End: 22:51:42
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, AYWalton, BBENNETT, deannie, Ingrid_Doweary, jhonora, rcs, Selma, vkn

AYWalton: Howdy Ms. Selma!!

Selma: Good evening AY

AYWalton: on the phone with Drusilla.

Selma: I just got off the phone with her to put the little darlin's down.. LOL

AYWalton: lol

Selma: I don't know how long I can last myself..

AYWalton: oh no problem.

Selma: Tell her to come into the room..she can tell us about all the exhibits she saw and I missed

AYWalton: she has to get up in bit. she said that it was wonderful.

Selma: I was busy helping folks find their roots.. LOL

AYWalton: there were some Confederate reenactors, but she saw no USCTs represented.

Selma: I thought Wes Wilson was going to come in uniform...he portrays Ratcliffe the Medal of Honor recipient..

AYWalton: Greetings, vkn !!!!!!!!!!!

vkn: Howdy to each of you

Selma: There were also some young people there as Navy sailors but I didn't see them either. Evening vkn..

AYWalton: quick question VKN, on the Quick Sheet was AfriGeneas mentioned?

Selma: this weekend there was a big Military thing at Jamestown..lots of reanctors there..

AYWalton: I guess the reenactors were all over the place.

vkn: yes ayw I will try and scan a copy to you

Selma: We are in reenactores heaven here

AYWalton: oh great, thanks! yes your area would be the capital, for sure. hey hey hey, it's honoray!

jhonora: Hey Selma, vkn!

vkn: jhonora howdy

Selma: Before this commemoration they will probably be redoing every battle that was in the state

AYWalton: Howdy jhonora, is here.

Selma: Evening jhonora

jhonora: Hey AYWalton!

AYWalton: lol how's going, jhonora?

jhonora: Going well!

AYWalton: what did you give up for Lent?

jhonora: Root beer!

AYWalton: ahhh........that's a hard one. Myself being a root beer fan.

vkn: Gonna make a cup of old plantation mint tea

AYWalton: Ooo that sounds good, vkn!

vkn: soothing the spirit AYW

AYWalton: mint tea can make you sleepy, too. we all need that as well.

vkn: deedy true

AYWalton: I like chamomile and mint---like the combination in Sleepy Time tea.

vkn: ahhhhhhh soooo

Selma: Opps

vkn: oops

AYWalton: Oops I knocked myself out of the room!!!

Selma: lol

AYWalton: tightening up my seat belt!

vkn: Selma did you get a chance to read that deed on bricjwall

Selma: YOu mean that was posted earlier this week..

jhonora: Hari Jones has been in town the past two days.

AYWalton: Hari Jones from the Afr. American Civil War Memoria?

jhonora: Yes

vkn: lol re seat belt

AYWalton: lol

Selma: I printed it out..but have not had a chance to read yet...

AYWalton: has he been presenting in New Orleans?

vkn: yes mam mz selma

Selma: I was not sure what her question was...

vkn: heyyy rcs

AYWalton: howdy rcs!

rcs: good evening

Selma: Was the question what was it trying to tell her?

jhonora: He spoke yeseterday at Main Library, today at St. James AME. There was a reception in his honor on the lake.

vkn: just what is the deed saying my eyes cannot read

Selma: thats why I printed it out.. LOL

vkn: god lol

AYWalton: he is a good presenter. I have heard him and found him to be quite informative.

vkn: good

Selma: I had an event today, and have my little darlins this weekend..will look over it after the leave..and I tap my NAP, after they leave take my NAP

jhonora: I had to miss him both times and the invitation-reception, I've been helping at a women's conf. the past two days.

vkn: okies selma and thanx

AYWalton: that sounds nice, jhonora. Who is sponsoring the conference?

Selma: There was a gentlemen there walking around with an orginal deed for property his ancestor bought in 1872..

jhonora: Our Ladies Auxiliary Court No. 52

AYWalton: that document is hard to read, on Brick Wall Forum.

vkn: agreed ayw

Selma: He had in a picture album...in plastic..I took him upstairs for them to scan..told him to put the original in archival ..and put the original away, and just show folks copies.

AYWalton: that was good advice, to give him, Selma!

Selma: He also had a photo of this ancestor..

AYWalton: to have the original in his hand---he really needs to protect that document.

Selma: He looked shocked when I told him..take it HOME

AYWalton: did he actually understand what your point was? and why you were telling him that?

jhonora: Those old sticky-page albums are horrible for photos & keepsakes.

AYWalton: oh gracious yes.

Selma: He was proud and wanted to show us..and I told him he should be proud..but he needed to show folks copies.

AYWalton: oh wow.

vkn: rcs did you get note from moi

rcs: I did

Selma: He understood better after myself and the librarian..said it was not good for the documents

AYWalton: well that's good.

rcs: Don't know if I can offer much help with aname like brown and all else unknown

AYWalton: how many people attended the event?

Selma: I don't really know to be honest..I didn't really leave the room I was in..I think the crowd was pretty good, but not as many was they were hoping for..

vkn: okies can you help the beginning searcher rcs,,, mainly needing marriage and death record associated wuth askew rcs

Selma: Lots of families...

rcs: will check more in the morning

Selma: Lots of different things for folks to see...think Dru had a good time

vkn: yuppers lots of unknown

deannie: Evenin All

AYWalton: hello there, deannie! how's it going?

jhonora: Hello deannie

vkn: howdy deannie

Selma: Hampton University Choir sang..they were wonderful Evening deannie

AYWalton: I bet they were good!

deannie: Hi Aywalton,vkn,Selma,jhonora,rcs

AYWalton: how is Chicago, deannie?

vkn: it was about 80 degrees here today

AYWalton: really?

vkn: yup

AYWalton: a bit cooler here, in MD, vkn, only in the low 60's

deannie: we are good....weather is better so we are able to move around...my study group went to the Newberry Library last saturday...we called a adult field ..... How are you

vkn: what means adult fiels deannie field

deannie: We did not go the regular meeting area....we meet at the Library some of us had not been to the library in awhile I worked on city directory, looking for great aunts...that arrived in chicago for Louisiana

Selma: Did you find them deannie I love city directories

AYWalton: I do too, Selma! they are great!

vkn: Deannie we watched a video "From DuSable to Obama" telling the history of Chicago. It was well done.

Selma: In the chicago directories do they put an "*" or a (c) for colored folk

AYWalton: hi 3rd

3rdthawkins: hello AY deannie jhonora rcs Selma and vkn

vkn: howdy 3rd

Selma: Hi 3rd

deannie: yes I found both of them...they came here in 1945...46,,,I also located oen of my aunt future husband in 1944 in the home the shared in later

Selma: Oh thats great

deannie: I have not seen the whole things but I will have to re-watch it

AYWalton: that sounds like an interesting film, vkn that you watched.

deannie: NO in the book they did not put the letter "c" by they name

Selma: Ummm they do in VA

vkn: It was well presented ayw

deannie: they=their

AYWalton: that is interesting.

deannie: I looked in book starting with 1943....

Selma: I will have to go and check and see when VA stopped..but up until the 1930's..it was there (C)

deannie: Also I located my grandfather...I know he arrived here after 1945 because my mother came here after my brother was born... I located him in his home in 1950...now I know waht year to look for his Papers to know when he purchased his home

Selma: Looks like you had a fruitful trip to the library deannie

jhonora: deannie, don't you have an Adams Co., Ms connection?

deannie: Yes...other members of our gen group also enjoyed the trip so we have added it to a annual things

vkn: yall be good and take care

AYWalton: your group in Chicago has a number of wonderful events all the time.

deannie: Yes, my family is from Jefferson county, Claiborne county family members have gone to Adams to get married and shopping in the later 1890

jhonora: Does the name Mosby or Washington sound familiar from that area?

AYWalton: are those neighboring counties, deannie?

deannie: Yes...we are working on our annual Ft Wayne, also the FGS in Springfield, and also the Black summit at Ft Wayne Yes

AYWalton: deannie, has there been anything about the speakers at Ft. Wayne? or are they going to be pre-selected with no call for papers?

deannie: I am not sure

AYWalton: I have not heard yet, either.

Selma: folks time for me to go...Good Nite..

AYWalton: night Selma

deannie: I hope to make a trip to Mississippi this year to see a great cousin will be 97 this year

AYWalton: oh that's wonderful. what part of Miss?

deannie: Greenville, Ms (Washington county) also the county were my ggrandfather lived,

3rdthawkins: hello bbennett

deannie: I BBennett

BBENNETT: Bernice

AYWalton: greetings, BBENETT!!! wassup? how are you doing?

BBENNETT: Hi Angela

AYWalton: good to see you? how are you doing? and what's new with you? what are you working on these days, BBENNETT?

BBENNETT: I am doing fine. I received an interesting document on yesterday from the Livingston Parish Genealogy Society on the 1876 election where a number of blacks were intimidated and forced to vote for democrats. I am hoping to trace the black folks to determine what happened to them.

AYWalton: that sounds interesting, indeed.

deannie: ditto

AYWalton: what part of Louisiana in Livingston Parish? Is that southern like close to New Orleans?

BBENNETT: 29 pages long and very interesting. Livingston Parish in in the southern part of Louisiana called the Florida parishes -- near baton Rouge and New Orleans.

jhonora: Livingston Parish is across Lake Ponchatrain near Ms. Real red neck country

AYWalton: interesting!

jhonora: Bbennett, you should look in the records of the Special Senate Committee called to investigate that election.

BBENNETT: Livingston has a large KKK presence and a small black community.

jhonora: That's the truth!

AYWalton: there is still a black population in that area? interesting.

BBENNETT: Yes, I have one of those documents. Yes, about 10-15% of the population are black. My folks owned land in that area and my research has focused on how they acquired that land under the Homestead Act of 1862.

deannie: How can I get a birth cert for Louisiana...my father was born in 1924

jhonora: From the Vital Records Office, $15.00.

AYWalton: is Vital Records in Baton Rouge?

jhonora: Yes, I think that's where they are based

deannie: I checked the website and they said it have to be 100 years

BBENNETT: You may also have luck at the Parish level.

AYWalton: Well folks, I am shutting down as well,----getting sleepy. Have a great evening everyone.

jhonora: Oh well you all, I'm signing off too. Going do some late research! See you tomorrow!

deannie: OK...I have my his military records but I want his birth cert for his mother maiden name if it listed

BBENNETT: Are you looking in La. for the birth certificate?

deannie: Yes..his was born in Louisiana left as a young man....went to the navy and come to Chicago...after his release

BBENNETT: You should not have any problem obtaining the birth certificate. Have you check the on-line database for the Louisiana Archives? I have had good luck with death certificates.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey BBennett, Deannie, and RCS.

rcs: hello

BBENNETT: Hello Ingrid Ingrid, what are you working on?

Ingrid_Doweary: I am studying genealogy resources at the National Archives while volunteering as a Genealogy Aide.

deannie: I did not know I.... I will check

BBENNETT: National Archives--I am in the Archives every week.. Also, has the Navy sent you any records?

Ingrid_Doweary: Had a particularly busy day yesterday. I volunteer on some Friday Mornings when I work a friday late shift or am off on Fridays when I work Saturdays.

BBENNETT: Are you in the research room with the computers or on the second floor with the original records?

Ingrid_Doweary: I haven't sent for any navy records, but I researched a Navy record yesterday as part of an exercise. I'm just outside of the Microfilm room at the genealogy aide station.

BBENNETT: Did you find anything interesting in the Naval record? I have only looked at Army records I was there on Wednesday and found on e of the volunteers very helpful.

Ingrid_Doweary: I did find a Navy widows pension record which was a micfiche. That's good. That what we are there for. I was surprisingly helpful to at least four researchers. That [is] what... I'm still in training. How goes it RCS?

BBENNETT: I just like the opportunity to share what I am doing to get another perspective from someone else. Everytime I help someone as a volunteer at the Family History Center I also feel that I am learning something new.

rcs: Slow and steady

BBENNETT: What are you working on rcs?

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm feel the same way about that also, BBennett.

BBENNETT: I think that it is so important to share our research successes and brick wall issues.

deannie: ditto here i enjoy genealogy and if I help someone else it's great

rcs: Right now I am playing with the new search engine www.mocavo.com

BBENNETT: I check mocavo.com out on yesterday.

rcs: researching Germans in Illinois & Missouri and miscelaneous African American families who came to St Louis

BBENNETT: Any luck?

rcs: a few news things

Ingrid_Doweary: Before I forget to share this, I study some aspect of the American Civil War on a daily basis. Still working on my display- The Role of the African Diaspora and the Civil War. I looked at the mocavo.com site, earlier. I'm still studying it. How is that working for you, RCS?

rcs: Some of my germans have relatively unique names so the searching has been somewhat helpful

BBENNETT: what are the unique names? I have recently starting searching USCT pension records. veryyyyy interesting documents.

Ingrid_Doweary: How are your projects working out for you, Deannie?

BBENNETT: Signing off folks. Nice chatting. Good night.

rcs: Santel, Altgilbers, Kalmer, Boven from the Emsland region

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, RCS you've got quite a collection of names there.

rcs: They are odd -- only a few came to the US -- from a few villages in Germany

deannie: I am working on military family now...Tony Burroughs wrote an acticle in our (AAGHSC) newsletters about an award that the president will sign...I can't think of the name right now... That one reason I am looking for my father's birth cert

Ingrid_Doweary: Nice Here's a link to my display. Don't know if either of you saw it. http://tinyurl.com/47zdguk Good luck on finding the BC. Where was he born?

deannie: i took a peek at your display....it looks great....I will share it with my genealogy group

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks I hope it is helpful. About your father's BC, I'm hopeful for you. I was able to assist a lady in locating her great-grandmother's death certificate in SC,USA. I forgot.... on Ancestry.com--the Archives's subscription.

deannie: I will check the Louisiana Archives website also I will send for the genealogy copy if they will give me one....I will not give up...

Ingrid_Doweary: Good for you Deannie, that's the spirit! Be persistent.

deannie: always...because there is something on the next page

Ingrid_Doweary: For sure. RCS, I look forward to reading more of your postings.

rcs: Will have to get active again! haven't been working on very much African American genealogy lately, at least not much with postable info

Ingrid_Doweary: Well I'll look forward to them just the same.

deannie: i have to run but I have learned something as always on AfriGeneas…have a great evening nite

rcs: I better run too good night

Ingrid_Doweary: Have a great evening, Good nite.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy