Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-03-13 SunMornBrnch

*SunMornBrnch

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 11:06:54
End: 13:12:05
Chatters: AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, ProfDru, Selma, statustray, vkn

vkn: Good Morning to all. I am out preparing to break fast

Khathu: good vkn i meant good morning

ProfDru: howdy gang khathu, I just gave vkn an update on our goto session with the conference meeting room.

Khathu: Good morning ProfDru okay

ProfDru: what have you been working on, khathu? I'm working on a PowerPoint for a USCT presentation next month as well as documenting the causes of death of a certain family line. Got a call from a cousin on Friday who needs this info for medical reasons.

AYWalton: Good morning al.

ProfDru: Angela in da house!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AYWalton: Howdy khathu, ProfDru, (whose in da house!!) greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProfDru: I think vkn and khathu stepped away from their computers

AYWalton: ahhhh ok.

Khathu: Hello AYWalton

AYWalton: I am working on my power point today as well.

Khathu: I am here just multi-tasking

ProfDru: what topic, angela?

AYWalton: I understand that, khathu. For Hampton Presentation.

ProfDru: ok me too

Khathu: I am working on an article to be peer reviewed

ProfDru: what topic, khathu?

Khathu: and trying to identified descendants of my ggg grandfather's sister who was sold away from the family in the 1830s

AYWalton: My first session for Hampton is: Breaking through the Wall of 1870 with Civil War Research

ProfDru: ok khathu

Khathu: the peer review article is dealing with indirect evidence in confirming some one identity and heritage

AYWalton: The second presentation is: Uncovering the First Days of Freedom.

ProfDru: I'm working on presentation about Madison Lewis as well as documenting the causes of death of a certain family line. One of my cousins needs it for health reasons.

AYWalton: I see. That sounds inteesting. Do you have the death certificates to share with the cousin?

ProfDru: khathu, where is this article going to be published?

AYWalton: Oh ProfDru, I sat in on a webinar yesterday, via GoTo Meeting.

Khathu: it is not for publication

ProfDru: yes, several on this family line, but she said she just wanted the information from the certificate.

AYWalton: I think that we can think about that.

Khathu: just trying to obtain some feedback

ProfDru: who conducted webinar, angela? ok khathu

AYWalton: I sat in primarily to learn how the interface works as an audience member. I sat in on Michael Hait's free seminar on Civil War.

ProfDru: ok, sorry I missed it.

AYWalton: the interface is good and it held well, for the session.

vkn: Good morning Khathu ProfDru and ANGELA

AYWalton: I need to see what one can do from the host's end, now. Good morning VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that AfriGeneas can start to host some.

vkn: lol who is the eho to host lol

ProfDru: Angela, you can get a 30 free trial of GoTo Meeting.

vkn: who is the who to host

AYWalton: oh ok----I have to look into that. shucks I don't know----I might try my hand at one.

vkn: Khathu on what are you seeking feedback ProfDru what is the cost for what period after the freebie

Khathu: i am tryinbg to confirm that my analysis and conclusions based on the documentation is correct or plausible

ProfDru: over $400 for up to 15 users; more money for more users. Yugma is less expensive.

vkn: what is the distribution of your survey for feedback Khathu?

Khathu: i am just going to send it out to a few individuals

AYWalton: But Yugma does not hold as strongly as GoTo but what does that mean, $400 for a meeting of more than 15?

ProfDru: Yugma, https://www.yugma.com/buyyugma.php

vkn: whoa for the cost dru is there a super advantage over chatting when compared to the cost

AYWalton: ProfDru, does that mean that if you have a class size of more than 15, that you are charged $400?

ProfDru: Goto Meeting prices, http://www.gotomeeting.com/fec/gotomeeting_pricing

AYWalton: hmm.........kind of expensive.

vkn: Khathu Barnetta White would be a good one to include wrendancer@aol.com She is most honest

AYWalton: I noticed that Thomas, DearMYRTLE and Michael had class sizes for up to 100.

ProfDru: The huge advantages of goto meeting are being able to verbally chat by phone or computer microphone as well as to be able to see PowerPoints, software and website demos.

Khathu: okay...thanks

AYWalton: the webinars have a larger audience size.

ProfDru: GotoWebinar ranges from 100 to 1000 users.

vkn: So much is in the promo AYW

AYWalton: true.

ProfDru: I wonder whose Goto Meeting are Thomas, Myrt, and Michael using?

AYWalton: I see why some are charging----just to get their money back I guess.

ProfDru: Did Michael charge?

AYWalton: Well Michael said his meeting size was up to 100, so that tells me that it was a webinar structure and not a meeting structure. and he made the two he did yesterday for free.

ProfDru: I wonder if we can partner with an organization such as Legacy to offer African American related webinars. I believe that Thomas is offering some webinars through them.

vkn: hmmmm

ProfDru: or get sponsers?

AYWalton: I suppose.

ProfDru: vkn, do you know of any organizations whom we can partner with or who may sponser this endeavour?

vkn: sponsors are the ticket combined with measurable content

ProfDru: anybody know of any potential sponsers?

vkn: well I think we can find a sponsor if we have a consistent qualitative content

AYWalton: I think we could.

ProfDru: like what,vkn?

AYWalton: brb---phone call.

ProfDru: We have a lot of experts out there in Afrigeneas land.

vkn: at the same time we could offer a professional footing and exposure to budding and actual experts

ProfDru: right vkn So how should we begin to approach this endeavour?

statustray: Good day everyone ;-)

ProfDru: hello statusray

vkn: Howdy status

statustray: Hey there ProfDru, Khathu, AYWalton, and vkn :) Sorry I'm late

vkn: Dru I would suggest that we have a 'basic' or 'core' plan that could be configured for whatever there is to be done.

ProfDru: We would need a goto meeting of no less than 100 users. That would cost $948 a year,

vkn: are the internal or aquirable resources in terms of people and time to get the job done

ProfDru: vkn, so you mean like a plan of webinar topics, speakers, etc?

vkn: n how to evaluate outcomes and redirect expectation in a timely manner Yes profdru

ProfDru: there would also need to be training on the technology. Khathu and I already know how to use it. There may be others.

Khathu: hello statustray

vkn: There would also need to be a study group to look and explore subjects not yet tendered. Angela has done much studying

statustray: welcome back Khathu

vkn: Then we need to practice practice practice

ProfDru: I'd like to ask Thomas MacEntee for advice on this endeavour. He is extremely well connected and could possibly direct us to resources to get this done. Like I said earlier, we may be able to partner with Legacy or some organization like that. Is it okay to consult with Thomas? What other Afrigeneas folks might be interested in this project?

AYWalton: It might put us out there in a different way.

vkn: What say you AYW? I would say proceed profdru to consult with Thomas

ProfDru: not sure I understand your comment, angela? Do you mean give Afrigeneas exposure?

AYWalton: I think it is an excellent idea! yes I mean to give us more AfriGeneas. we might want to charge for them as well.

vkn: Sounds like a project for three to five people

ProfDru: agreed angela

AYWalton: several people have areas of expertise. like Civil War-----many of us can do it efficiently, and we need to step up.

ProfDru: so we got at least three, me, vkn, and Angela. Anybody else? right angela. That could be a series.

vkn: with an incentive to the presenters/planners of say up to 80% of the net revenues if any

AYWalton: it is something to consider. Plus quite a few are becoming "professionals" with mediocre content, because they are simply out there doing something online. and we have several within our community have far better knoweledge and expertise.

ProfDru: Angela, do you know if Michael Hait is doing his webinars independently?

AYWalton: as far as I know---yes he is.

vkn: ProfDru just keep me informed. I do not need to have hands on

AYWalton: he is not connected to any group, as far as I know.

ProfDru: what about Myrt?

AYWalton: Myrt is Myrt and her own brand---she is doing her own thing and marketing her own brand. and marketing herself well. and VKN and I knew her from the old AOL chats.

ProfDru: Angela, is it Legacy that Thomas is doing webinars through?

vkn: and knew her well

AYWalton: I have no idea who he is doing it through.

ProfDru: Myrt is a wonderful person.

AYWalton: but worth asking.

vkn: I would say to ask

AYWalton: the fact is----they are all out there, doing their own thing, marketing and making money as well. and some have just hung up their shingle and are out there doing their thing.

vkn: Framing the question may need to be strategic

AYWalton: howdy Ingrid.

ProfDru: do any of you know of any potential sponsers? hi ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AY, Khathum ProfDru, Statusray and Vkn.

ProfDru: their own thing, good or bad. lol

vkn: Not so sure they are making money but with a potential to make money at some future point

AYWalton: I wonder who sponsored the one with Deborah Abbot, Michael and Shamele? That one cost $15 to participate.

vkn: ProDru Khathu AYW what is the standard by which we measure good and or bad

AYWalton: an excellent question, vkn. I think we have to review ourselves.

ProfDru: good or bad webinars?

vkn: Seems that we need to construct a standard

AYWalton: again taking us to our need to evaluate and set our own standards, and accreditation process.

vkn: Good or bad content

Khathu: one key component of good is allowing enough time for Q&A

ProfDru: Angela, perhaps you can ask Shamele. Wasn't that through her genealogy society?

vkn: Good or bad content and good or bad measurable outcomes

ProfDru: right khathu bad is if the speaker is monotone and does not sound excited about their topic.

Khathu: the content must be clear and understandable

AYWalton: I don't know her that well----oh now that you mention it-----it was done by the Genealogy Society of Pennsylvania.

Khathu: auidence participation

AYWalton: I just remembered that.

ProfDru: the visuals should also be clear and understandable and not all text.

vkn: I would agree Khathu that is also problematic where the questioner wants to do a statement but no real question

AYWalton: I know that Michael has another method of sharing his skill----he offers to tweak powerpoints for people. I think that Shelley said that she or someone she knows has sent them to him and he makes it look more professional.

vkn: Ego Ego Ego Khathu has to be managed with kid gloves

ProfDru: statement and no real question happens a lot in genealogy workshops Selma in da house

Khathu: Hello Selma

vkn: Howdy Status and Selma

AYWalton: hey there Ms. Selma!!

Ingrid_Doweary: So does the speaker raise aquestion from audience comments? Hey Selma.

Selma: Good Sunday afternoon AY, INgrid, Khathu, Dru, statustray, and vkn..whew thats a lot of names

ProfDru: I think questions in a webinar work best at the end of the presentation.

Ingrid_Doweary: Something like, "What does that information suggest to you?"

vkn: Not to put in a negative BUT remember that the user comes with a set of notions and ill gained 'facts' of my 'granma' done tol me and I will not be moved....

ProfDru: lol vkn

Khathu: Hello Ingrid

AYWalton: lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Or "What can be derived from the information?" Hey Khathu.

ProfDru: ingrid, I'm not sure about that type of question in a webinar. I've had some long winded people in some of my workshops who would hog all the time with a question like that.

Selma: Yes, and I have been there Dru... LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: I agree with you Dru. Questions work better at the end of webinars.

Selma: and it ain't pretty

vkn: and then "baby Daddy" seems to be a major how to find question for men in particular. Or I know my mom's people but nothing about my dad's people.

AYWalton: questions at the end of the webinar would work, plus all of the audience is muted. I noticed that yesterday in the webinar---the audience was muted.

ProfDru: ingrid, these are however good questions for the presenter to address as they prepare their presentations--to be sure they cover that info on 'what can be derived from info' etc.

vkn: Good point Dru

statustray: questions at the end are better as you know you will cover all the material that needs to be covered. Plus many times questions are answered by the speaker during the presentation as well.

Ingrid_Doweary: I shouldn't say this, but long winded persons get on my nerves. They are in their own little world. No one else exists. That's the selfishness that bothers me.

ProfDru: angela, that's because of background noises. At work in some of my webinars babies are crying or participant is moving around doing stuff while they are listening to webinar.

Selma: Are we having a webinar?

vkn: Also consider the value of panel presenters who might counter with each other

Ingrid_Doweary: Indeed, Vkn.

ProfDru: yes, we are planning to Selma and you're on the committee. lol lok lol

AYWalton: lol

Selma: Oh jeez..is that what happens when I come late..

ProfDru: right vkn lol Selma

vkn: lol @ Selma

Ingrid_Doweary: Ahhh Selma.

ProfDru: Selma, we're looking into the possibility of offering some webinars. We either need a sponser or to partner with an organization who has the GoTo Meeting platform.

vkn: Also consider the value of panel presenters who might counter with each other but be in accord on methodology and results

Selma: What about Essence or Legacy?

Ingrid_Doweary: That's okay. Someone's always watching. You never know who you may have inspired.

ProfDru: I did recommend Legacy earlier. Hadn't thought about Essence? What do you think vkn?

Selma: I only said Essence cause they had the article..

ProfDru: well, you never know Selma Ancesty.com also offers webinars and I think they did offer one AA one. oops ancestry.com

vkn: Dru I think we must have a well designed product [ a better mousetrap] and we will need to fight off the sponsors potentially, economics notwithstanding

AYWalton: brb

Selma: Are we focusing a specific topic..or general research...

ProfDru: so what topics would you recommend, vkn?

Selma: Oh...

ProfDru: Selma, we haven't discussed topics other than Civil War

Ingrid_Doweary: How research methods online and offline?

ProfDru: I would think that a variety of topics should be offered and not only ones for black people. That's my two cents

Ingrid_Doweary: Better yet, how to cross research-online and offline.

ProfDru: that's a good topic ingrid

vkn: "start with where you are and work backwards in time from known to unknown" is a standard BUT may not be a starting point for so many who come with the notion that it is all in the internet etc

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks Dru. I was thinking for when information is acquired online then researching documents in microfilm or in historical text records.

ProfDru: how to write a query is a good topic

Khathu: have a great dat everyone

Ingrid_Doweary: Vkn, I appreciate your method as well. Bye Khathu

vkn: The unstated standard "Searching for Blacks is SOOOOO hard" is error filled and the goal mght include didding that myth

ProfDru: right vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh Dru, that's a fanatastic topic-how formulate inquires!

ProfDru: The current one on the brick wall forum is an example of what not to do.

vkn: So prof dru the approach to ANY topic would be for the presenters to KNOW that all research is difficult without knowledge of what records are accessible etc

Selma: Which one Dru?

ProfDru: one from Sonya Martin on brick wall forum right vkn vicky in da house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AYWalton: howdy daviss!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Daviss!

Selma: Morning davis..

statustray: hey there daviss

daviss: hello everyone!!! lol

Selma: Yes, not sure what Sonya is asking Dru...don't you research Greensville,VA?

ProfDru: yes guess she is asking for interpretation of deed?

vkn: heyyyyyyyyyy daviss the waco wonder lol

daviss: quick question, does anyone have any idea of a va site that might have old sermons of preachers lol @ vkn

ProfDru: any particular preacher, vicky?

vkn: daviss the smithsonian has such i do believe

ProfDru: I found some on Amazon of Michaux

daviss: yes his name was C C Sommerville

vkn: Also ed adams posted a link to lexis on slave forum under topic of research

ProfDru: gotta run

daviss: his sermon was The Two Headed Rooster

statustray: see you ProfDru

daviss: would that be online vkn

Selma: You mean you are looking for print out of the sermon?

vkn: Also the church publishing houses out of Nashville has reams of stuff daviss

Selma: This was obviously a famous one..if you have a title daviss?

daviss: Boyds Publishing vkn

vkn: Will have to wrack my brain daviss

daviss: yes from what little I gather Selma.. He is the one that I was asking you about that had that paper Vigil in Portsmouth

Selma: What year did he give it daviss?

vkn: Not sure about name of Boyds but most of the black church groups did publishing out of nashville So i would search Google books first of all

Ingrid_Doweary: same publihers for city directories, Daviss.

daviss: From what I gather Selma it was given on several occasions btw 1925-30

vkn: Good - excellent discussion this day yall

Ingrid_Doweary: Indeed, Vkn

daviss: The Boyds started that pub company vkn but need to get the right name

Selma: Wonder if it would be in the Journal and Guide newspaper..they were in the Norfolk area..

AYWalton: Have to run folks. Have a good one!!

vkn: Yall be good /a time to say goodbye

daviss: in the newspapers I have been in, they say he gave his famous sermon but thats about all I can find

vkn: oops

daviss: bye vkn so everyone here changed their clocks on time lol

Ingrid_Doweary: I did.

Selma: You might want to email Dr. Tommie Bogger at Norfolk State..I will look for his email address He is the archivist at their library archives..

daviss: thanks much Selma

Selma: I have to run too..this time change has me off..I need a nap

daviss: lol take care

Selma: Bye

daviss: Iam glad we don't change times

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm sure you are. Less tasks to remember.

daviss: especially at my age ingrid lol

Ingrid_Doweary: LOL Bye statusray

daviss: I wish I could get that sermon soon if possible

Ingrid_Doweary: Did you hear if the sermon was given at any conferences?

daviss: so Ingrid any news on your Wiley College person not sure of that ingrid but he spoke at several

Ingrid_Doweary: No, I've been tabling that research project. I'm in training volunteering at the archives.

daviss: He is not in my line but in a friend of mine the friend has never heard the sermon either I thought I would do a blog on him as a surprise

Ingrid_Doweary: I figured if the sermon was delivered at conferences or conventions there's probably a write up in the group's papers.

daviss: such things we go through huh lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Well my currenr allergy medication is making me sleepy. Probably should sign off now. Take care have a great day.

daviss: take care

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy