Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-03-08 Tuesday Night

*TuesNite

*TuesNite

Start: 21:03:15
End: 22:36:33
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, Sadonya, Selma, seventies soulchild, vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Alt. How are you?

alt: hello Ingrid_Doweary, how are ya?

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm good. Multitasking by preparing a Genealogy Family Legacy package for a cousin returning from active duty. Hey Selma

alt: Hello Selma

Selma: evening alt and ingrid

alt: wondeful Ingrid_Doweary, where is your cousin returning from?

Ingrid_Doweary: I believe he's returning from Iraq. Gotta verify that. I promised him I would send it.

alt: glad he made it home safely.

Selma: me too

Ingrid_Doweary: me also.

Selma: i have had a very long day..can't stay too long.. I just saw your posting on Brown alt

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry to here that, Selma. Are you working on projects?

Selma: no..my real life.. LOL

alt: Okay Selma, had to it for CPC... showing 'some' freed folks did make somethingof themselves LOL

Selma: LOL I don't know why you even bother alt..

Ingrid_Doweary: lol okay.

alt: just can't help it... glutton for punishment I guess LOL Hello 3rdthawkins,, whas up?

3rdthawkins: hey alt, nothing much, hello Ingrid and Selma

Ingrid_Doweary: Speaking of which, for the past 2 days, I just learn of 3 Civil War medical surgeons. Hey 3rd.

Selma: hello 3rd

Khathu: hello everyone

Ingrid_Doweary: learn=learned. Hey Khathu.

alt: those guys were kept quite busy Ingrid_Doweary

Selma: evening khathu

3rdthawkins: hello Khathu

alt: Hello Khathu

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm sure they were. At least 2 were trained in Canada. One mentored the other and both first names and surnames begin with "A". Dr. Alexander T. Augusta and Dr. Anderson R. Abbott. The third name escapes me. I'll follow through soon.

alt: good evening Sadonya

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Sadonya.

Selma: Good evening Sadonya

Sadonya: good eveneing everyone opps

Khathu: evening sadonya

3rdthawkins: hello Sadonya

Sadonya: how is everyone this great Tuesday evening

Selma: sleepy

3rdthawkins: donig good Sadonya

Selma: but you are mighty chipper.. LOL

Sadonya: and especially my good friend 3rdthawkins how is your research coming

Khathu: hello seventies

Sadonya: hello seventies soulchild

Selma: evening seventies

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Seventies, what's new?

seventies soulchild: Good evening everyone! alt, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, Selms, Sadonya, 3rd

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey 3rd.

alt: evening seventies soulchild

3rdthawkins: good Sadonya, tracking down that high cheek bone ancestor(s), though some other endeavors aren't going so well............hello Seventies

Sadonya: oh wow care to share?

seventies soulchild: nothing really. my latest blog entry: http://thefamilygriot.blogspot.com/2011/03/history-makers-mary-l-van-manen.html

3rdthawkins: I should say, trying to Sadonya

seventies soulchild: I am slow typing today.. :}

Sadonya: that is great.... have you hit a wall?

3rdthawkins: yep

Sadonya: care to share?

3rdthawkins: not enough information to keep going backwards

Sadonya: really how so?

Selma: Well folks have to call it an early night..have a good evening

Ingrid_Doweary: Good for you, Seventies.

seventies soulchild: How have you been Sadonya?

Sadonya: wonderful happy to finally get Tuesday off how about you how is your research

seventies soulchild: Thanks Ingrid_Doweary. Just trying to get stuff to write and get it organized can be a challenge for me sometimes.

Ingrid_Doweary: 3rd, sometimes going backwards helps because you get a chance to review your research efforts and results.

seventies soulchild: Oh everything is going well Sadonya

Sadonya: thats wonderful

3rdthawkins: well, really I'm not looking for High Cheek Bone ancestors, not on my Hawins line anyway (that is Sanders), for Hawkins, I am looking for my great great grandmother who married Hawkins, looking any records of and for her and her parents before 1900

Ingrid_Doweary: I've got plenty to write about, just haven't had enough time to write.

3rdthawkins: I know Ingrid, I can't go backwards though

Sadonya: 3rdthawkins do you need my help on anything?

seventies soulchild: Yes the challenge for me is getting it all together.

3rdthawkins: Need all the help I can get Sadonya,

Sadonya: let me know you still have my email

3rdthawkins: yeah, I think so,

Sadonya: send me an email

3rdthawkins: ok

Khathu: nice post seventies

Sadonya: seventies soulchild do you have a plan?

seventies soulchild: Other than that I'm spending a little time each day prepping for my summer trip to Mississippi. Thanks Khathu

Sadonya: seventies soulchild where you going?

Ingrid_Doweary: Good move, Seventies.

seventies soulchild: Going to Adams Co., MS

Sadonya: I hav been doing some MS research is that northern MS?

seventies soulchild: Did you see my post in the States forum? I'm looking for people to work with who are researching my counties Adams and Wilkinson Both are on the southern tip of MS

Sadonya: I havent done anything there yet but will help you if you need me

seventies soulchild: Southwestern tip

Sadonya: I have done a lot in Lauderdale county and surrounding counties

seventies soulchild: That's way up in Northern MS...

Sadonya: its in the middle of the state

AYWalton: Good evening all.

Khathu: Hello AYWalton

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AY.

AYWalton: hi 3rd

Sadonya: hey AYWalton

seventies soulchild: I'm dealing with a lot of migration between MS and LA back and forth

AYWalton: greetings Ingrid, Khathu, Hey Sadonya, SoulChile!!

3rdthawkins: hello AYWalton

seventies soulchild: Hey AYWalton

Sadonya: yeah for the western portion of that state that happened a lot I did a Harris family from that area

seventies soulchild: Oh really?

Sadonya: I think it was Yazoo county

AYWalton: Was good to see you Ingrid at the Archives, last week.

Sadonya: send me an email I will see what I can dig up sadonya@comcast.net

seventies soulchild: Ok... messages will come from me at yahoo.com

Sadonya: I dont watch a lot of tv heard Lionel Richie was in my town found his great grandfather buried here okay

AYWalton: yes, he was on Who Do You Think You Are, Sadonya!

Sadonya: I watched it last night on internet

AYWalton: we had a chat during the show----we had close to 20 folks in the room.

Ingrid_Doweary: I was happy to see you there also AY. I plan to spend about 8 hrs there this Friday, since I work at the CCDC this Saturday.

AYWalton: and the man from the TN Archives was here in our Friday evening chat.

Sadonya: oh okay

AYWalton: I did not see you after lunch Ingrid. Had you left?

Sadonya: my ex called me and why I wasnt on there lol that sow should to some Afrigeneas people

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, AY. I left around 1:00 pm to report to my paying job at 2:30 pm that afternoon.

AYWalton: I see.

Sadonya: lol

AYWalton: Well last year, Mel Collier got to be on the Spike Lee segment. but no other folks, for sure.

Sadonya: oh really I will have to see if I can find that one

AYWalton: should be online.

seventies soulchild: I did like seeing more AA genealogists and researchers this time. . .

AYWalton: Oh Sadonya,how was the Atlanta Family History Expo?

seventies soulchild: Someone has been listening to our gripes here... lol

AYWalton: lol

Sadonya: Iam sorry but not really... I aint interested in famous people's stories.. they famous.. I want to hear normal folks stories

AYWalton: perhaps we griped long enough.

Ingrid_Doweary: An AA Archivist did talk with Vanessa Williams on camera.

AYWalton: Sadonya, that is why I like Generations TV. real stories with real people.

Sadonya: AYWalton it was a mess but good for what it was ... you know they had me speaking

Ingrid_Doweary: I could appreciate that, AY/

AYWalton: oh did you speak Sadonya???

Sadonya: I need to find that one

AYWalton: Oh wow.........

Sadonya: yes

AYWalton: so why was it a mess? Crowded?

Sadonya: no

seventies soulchild: Daviss was telling me about a show, Searching on OWN.

Sadonya: unorganied they started late and then had not real plan

Ingrid_Doweary: unorganized?

AYWalton: yes but they are only looking for birth parents of adopted children, basically. oh really?

seventies soulchild: oh okay. Who is that woman the genealogist?

AYWalton: I would have thought it would have more structure. And why did they start late?

seventies soulchild: good evening vkn

AYWalton: greetings, vkn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn. Good to see you.

Sadonya: it was a mess but I enjoyed myself one of my fellow presenters called in advance so I did some research for her.. got her last slave owner of both male and female. I was amazed

vkn: Howdy 2 all y'all

AYWalton: oh that's wonderful!!! howdy back, vkn!!!!!11

3rdthawkins: hey vkn

vkn: hey hey fine w859

Sadonya: found a document of one the slave owners a Wm Alston.. that was so kine on slavery that he fought to over turn a will that was giving a slave her freedom.. saying a slave could not be freed in a will hey VKN

vkn: sad on ya howdy

Sadonya: lol I need to change my name.... sad.. on... ya

seventies soulchild: lol

vkn: howdy 3rd ingrid khathu seventies

AYWalton: that was funny.

Ingrid_Doweary: Congrats, Sadonya.

Khathu: hello vkn

AYWalton: I was watching some of the mardi gras festivities today. I bet it is really wild tonight.

seventies soulchild: what a .... :{

AYWalton: Betcha jhonora is out there.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah, AY, I saw a little bit on CNN. I trust Jhonora is having a ball. :}

vkn: Good postings on Discuss! Seventies

AYWalton: I found some live webcams and saw the Zulu parade and I saw jhonora's high school band----St. Augustine. I am sure he is.

Sadonya: VKN do you have any idea when social services started taking over the care of ophran children? what year?

vkn: Also seventies good show re pinpointing counties in MS... I will follow your lead about 1930 Sadonya

seventies soulchild: Oh yes. I can NEVER find much in the way of history of AA's especially in Wilkinson Co. But they had alot of plantations there, still do.

vkn: e then it was done by local units, private individuals and churches But the history goes backs for centuries in some manner

seventies soulchild: It could just be me failing to look in every crevice.. lol

Ingrid_Doweary: LOL

seventies soulchild: And Wilkinson Co. is a special case. it has 2 county seats.

vkn: Did you have a specific Sadonya

Sadonya: the photo lady's mother was adopted but not legally was in foster care I believe but was born 1913 so was wondering if the state would have been involved in GA

AYWalton: Oh vkn, I have made several calls to Memphis----lady was never home. Spoke to husband, daughter, mother---I think she may have gotten nervous and did not want to talk.

vkn: Gotta find a pair of eyes to read text wow most interesting ayw wow most interesting ayw and at the same time very strange

seventies soulchild: side note: does anyone remember the radio show 'Story of a People'??

AYWalton: I don't recognize that name SoulChile.

vkn: nor do I seventies

Sadonya: never heard of it

vkn: lol I remember Stella Dallas lol

AYWalton: now where have I hear that name, vkn? was that a radio personality? or radio show?

vkn: all my aunts (8) listened to that on the radio from me was a child

seventies soulchild: It was a radio syndicated program that started in 1986 with Brock Peters and Denise Nicholas going over the history of blacks in America. From Slavery to the 1980's

AYWalton: is that right? Wow I don't recall it.

seventies soulchild: It was a great program! It ran every year from 1986 to 1992.

vkn: a radio soap ayw

AYWalton: VKN, when I was small, my grandmother and gr. grandmother used to listen to their "stories" on the radio.

Sadonya: I still do

AYWalton: and on Sundays during dinner, Daddy liked to listen to Dragnet and some other show. (a western)

vkn: a radio soap ayw

seventies soulchild: I was discussing it with someone on facebook... and I got the urge to see if I could find if somone had posted it on youtube or something. I could only find a couple of references to it though.

Khathu: good night everyone

AYWalton: well I guess now we have youtube and folks can do their own stories, and whatever else they want.

seventies soulchild: It was a great program! One of the first to chronicle a history of African people in the Americas...

vkn: indeed

seventies soulchild: :) Well, I was just bringing it up because well its a classic program.

Ingrid_Doweary: what was the program again Seventies?

vkn: Seventies on Sunday we listened to Wings Over Jordan and it always gave history tidbits me out of Cleveland and was syndicated

seventies soulchild: "Story of a People"... it was one of 7 series

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay

AYWalton: are there still stories on the radio?

vkn: came out of Cleveland and was syndicated

AYWalton: I enjoy hearing some of the old ones, replays from a different era.

seventies soulchild: okay vkn. when you were a youngster?

AYWalton: Once in a while I bump into them by accident.

vkn: yuppers Less than 10 seventies

seventies soulchild: My mom used to tell me when she was growing up, they would get radio station reception all the way from Memphis,TN oh wow!

vkn: w do you see Wings Over Jordon on UTube " ayw

seventies soulchild: There was much less radio noise back then..

AYWalton: have not seen it on YouTube, will do a hunt for it, vkn.

seventies soulchild: I need to get going. My Tuesday night TV is coming on in 4 minutes... :}

vkn: okies Their theme was "Swing Low Sweet Charuit"

seventies soulchild: Y'all have a good night. Sadonya, I will definitely be e-mailing you. Maybe you can help me with this brick wall...

3rdthawkins: nite SS

seventies soulchild: Nite all

Sadonya: I do my best

Ingrid_Doweary: I missed again.

vkn: Nice letter you recd Sadonya

Sadonya: yes I thought so wanted to share it with you a lot of people never say thank you

Ingrid_Doweary: Well, let me say thank you this minute. Thank you Sadonya.

Sadonya: Ingrid_Doweary you are mess

AYWalton: who was it from, Sadonya?

Sadonya: her name is Caroline Alston

vkn: lol

Sadonya: the lady I told you about earlier

vkn: all in this room

AYWalton: oh wow. well folks I am getting sleepy, as I took some benadryl. Going to run. Have a great evening.

vkn: me 2 yall be good

3rdthawkins: nite

Ingrid_Doweary: Good nite

Sadonya: 3rdthawkins you want to share with me about your brick wall?

Ingrid_Doweary: Bye good folks.

3rdthawkins: yeah, was searching for two different families, trying to see which would be the easiest both are on my father's side.....you want me give you both? I need to give you the most recent and probably easiest

Sadonya: yes

3rdthawkins: ok. Great Great grandmother Jessie Lum born about 1880 in South Carolina. parents' name Moses Lum and Phillis (Perkins). Jessie had half siblings: Sidney Perkins (had a son named Samuel), Susan Perkins (married a Sam Brown had a daughter named Anna), and Henry Perkins.....I don't know anything about Jessie's parents, the names come from an unknown family researcher, no record of Jessie under Lum surname, but a few with Perkins as her maiden name. Jessie married my great great grandfather Levy Hawkins abt 1899, found them in 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 in Berkeley County, South Carolina. Cannot find her before 1900 cannot find Jessie's half siblings ANYwhere

Sadonya: really

3rdthawkins: I have a death date for Jessie in 1943 but no certificate found, her husband, my grgr gf died in 1944 he was listed as a widow

Sadonya: okay I will get on it tonight

3rdthawkins: ok thx........that is the first brickwall Sadonya

Sadonya: but no death record?

3rdthawkins: nope

Sadonya: it amazing how you have the samename in your family that i havein mine not to be related I hav Perkins also from Ok

3rdthawkins: Also looking for Jeffersons Sadonya

Sadonya: no

3rdthawkins: yep, another brickwall

Sadonya: also SC?

3rdthawkins: My great grandmother Mada Ruth Jefferson (as written on my grandmother's SSA). According to 1930 census, she was born abt 1910 in Virginia, her parents were both born in Virginia. She was married to my great grandfather Dennis Hawkins abt. 1929 (name transcribed as Harokins)........According to death certificate, she died 1936 in Bronx, NY, father's name James Jefferson, mother's name Anna Roxianna. Cannot find her or her parents before 1930 I'm thinking they were white I have no info on siblings or anyone who may be related to my great grandmother

Sadonya: so you do not know who her parents were

3rdthawkins: James Jefferson and Anna Roxianna

Sadonya: but you hve never found theminthe census?

3rdthawkins: nope

Sadonya: k I got my work cut out for me will let you know what I come up with

3rdthawkins: :} yep.............ok thx

Sadonya: my pleasure I am going to search now talk to you next week if not sooner

3rdthawkins: ok then

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy