Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-03-07 Tuesday LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:04
End: 12:53:28
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, AYWalton, daviss, jhonora, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

jhonora: Hello 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: hey jhonora

jhonora: You know, I'm starting to think that "researcher," in your family was a quack lol

3rdthawkins: hey daviss

jhonora: Hello daviss

daviss: hello 3rd and jhonora!

3rdthawkins: I don't know, probably a good researcher who knew a lot of information

daviss: lol why is that hello ProfDru

jhonora: Hello ProfDru

ProfDru: hello gang

3rdthawkins: information that person gave on the Sanders line shed a lot of light, and explained some findings, I really appreciate that

daviss: who were you talking to jhonora me or 3rd lol

3rdthawkins: hello ProfDru lol me daviss

jhonora: I was talking to 3rd

daviss: oh ok whew! I was going to say all I need is a few quacks in my fam well a few more lol how is everyone today?

3rdthawkins: good daviss

daviss: thanks 3rd! I was beginning to leave lol

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all. hi 3rd

daviss: hi AYWalton

AYWalton: greetings, daviss, ProfDru in da house! hey hey hey, it's honoray!

jhonora: Hey AYWalton!

3rdthawkins: hey AY

jhonora: 3rd, did you say that Berkeley County doesn't have marriage records at Clerk's office?

ProfDru: Angela in da house!

AYWalton: hope everyone is doing well.

daviss: where is Berkley Is that SC

3rdthawkins: that's right jhonora yes daviss not before 1915

daviss: oh ok, where did they house their records

3rdthawkins: I called them and the lady was nice enough to check for me, but did not find them listed..........they didn't keep records daviss

jhonora: That seems strange, was this for all counties?

daviss: hmmmm not even listed in a minute book? or an affidavit 3rd

3rdthawkins: no, Berkeley County was formed out of Charleston Co. in 1882, and they didn't start keeping records until 1911 for marriage, I think birth, death I wouldn't know daviss, no way of finding out Charleston County, was the only one that kept records before 1900, 1821 on up for Death, about 1877 for marriage (prior to that marriages were held in churches, to those churches would have the records), and 1700 something on up for births

AYWalton: hey SoulChile!

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

daviss: probate judges offices and not court house

AYWalton: Hey, Ms. Selma!!

3rdthawkins: hello Selma that's where I called daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Hey AYWalton, daviss, 3rd, jhonora, ProfDru, Selma

Selma: Hello everyeon..

daviss: hello selma and seventies

jhonora: Hello Seventies Soulchild, Ms. Selma

AYWalton: hope all is going well, Ms. Selma!

Selma: Yep...

daviss: more than one probate judge

Seventies Soulchild: ProfDru, I love with you did with that PPT slide!

AYWalton: Jhonora you ready to party all night long, tomorrow night?

Selma: Did you hear our ProDru last night she was great

3rdthawkins: I think only one Lionel Ritchie

AYWalton: yes, she did a fantastic job!!!

daviss: you have to know which one performed the ceremony I think 3rd

jhonora: Well, I don't know about that, AY. Tomorrow morning and afternoon at least.

ProfDru: thanks

3rdthawkins: yeah daviss, unless it was a Catholic church, you can just contact the Catholic Diocese of Charleston, they hold parish records, it would be good to know exactly, but I don't think they will hold you to it

ProfDru: it was a lot of fun participating in the blog talk show last night.

3rdthawkins: Aywalton got me singing All Night Long, now lol

AYWalton: lol

ProfDru: lol

Seventies Soulchild: blog talk is a great forum lol

AYWalton: well its a good tune!

3rdthawkins: sho' nuff

ProfDru: did you listen in last night soulchile?

Seventies Soulchild: I was so exhausted from watching my 1 yr old nephew... I turned in EARLY lol

ProfDru: understood

3rdthawkins: still wondering where they get that energy from Seventies?

Seventies Soulchild: But I'll be sure to listen today.

AYWalton: I was fascinated listening to the story of your grandmother's involvement with the church organization, ProfDru.

daviss: I have not had to research there yet 3rd but have looked at lots of probates where they have marriages so there have to be some sort of record.

Selma: BRB...

ProfDru: thanks angela

3rdthawkins: probably so daviss, perhaps a family bible

Seventies Soulchild: I know where he gets it from. My sons were the same way at that age, but I was a lot younger then lol

daviss: dunno but there were more than a few judges listed with different names

ProfDru: The show is archived, http://www.blogtalkradio.com/antoinette-harrell

3rdthawkins: yeah, I see your point, my niece comes over (1 years old), gosh, she doesn't need sweets/sugar, she just goes I should say 2

daviss: they would have to show some type of proff I imagine

Seventies Soulchild: I remember when she first came on, she was kind of well scattered with her topics...

ProfDru: The interview gave me lots of food for thought about things I need to revisit.

Seventies Soulchild: brb

3rdthawkins: I just don't think they kept records daviss

AYWalton: what kinds of things will you revisit, ProfDru?

ProfDru: Grandma Ven and my maternal line I have the most documents on this line.

3rdthawkins: and with it being (as jhonora described it) an interracial marriage, it probably just took place in a church they attended, or something like that no records

ProfDru: I need to write more about this maternal line while my grandmother is still living so that she can enjoy it.

3rdthawkins: or perhaps "in the backyard"

AYWalton: yes, that's goog thinking, ProfDru.

daviss: I can see that if they were associated with the church (catholic)

ProfDru: My grandmother still talks about her maternal grandmother often

AYWalton: have you taped her talking about her? get a small audio recorder.

jhonora: 3rd, I just called the Berkeley Co. courthouse. The woman told me they have marriages before 1911 on microfilm (.35 cents ea.). The physical records go back to 1911.

Seventies Soulchild: I was checking ancestry this weekend and I see that someone has copied my Alec Mixon and his family into their tree.. lol But it has given me a new lead to look for them in another county...

3rdthawkins: for my Hawkins daviss, they were more like A.M.E. something like that, I know in like the 30s and 40s they attended Emanuel Church which I tried to contact but phone doesn't seem to work,

daviss: thats what I thought jhonora

3rdthawkins: wow jhonora, ok, perhaps I'll do an interlibrary loan and check it out, thanks, I'm also looking for my great grandparents' marriages, but the lady could not find them listed either, and they married about 1920, I'm thinking in Berkeley Co., cannot find them listed in the Charleston Co. marriages

daviss: perhaps they got a new number

ProfDru: no, angela, I have not taped her. I know, shame on me.

jhonora: Yes, sometimes you have to not let these clerks off the hook. You also really have to pour on that Southern honey. Don't make yourself seem like some city slicker swinging through to find your roots.

3rdthawkins: probably daviss

ProfDru: lol jhonora

3rdthawkins: oh well, don't know about that

Seventies Soulchild: lol jhonora sometimes we (I've been guilty of it) can't help ourselves... just part of the way we are raised! We can only be 'sweet' to a certain extent. lol

3rdthawkins: oh daviss, you remember when I was looking for the cemetery where my Hawkins was buried? well a cousin actually have a photo of my great great grandfather's tombstone, but she doesn't know what cemetery it was in

jhonora: I think they are resentful a lot of times of people who they perceive as leaving the county and all of a sudden want to come back and start digging.

daviss: what hawkins was that

3rdthawkins: my Hawkins family daviss, all of them Levy Hawkins Sr is the one who'se tombstone photo I have

daviss: the info that i sent you a long time ago of your Edd oh I see

3rdthawkins: no, Hawkins daviss, not Hughes

daviss: oh sorry

Seventies Soulchild: sounds personal jhonora.... :?

3rdthawkins: both start with H, but a lot different stuff come after both :}

Seventies Soulchild: as in the clerks...

daviss: what state 3rd

3rdthawkins: you just made me realize something daviss.......two great greats both of them name have names that start with H.......South Carolina daviss for Hawkins, Hughes for Texas

daviss: I see

3rdthawkins: so, 35 cent each for microfilm jhonora?

daviss: no dc 3rd

3rdthawkins: for Levy, yes daviss, not for his wife

jhonora: Yes, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to do an interlibrary loan.

3rdthawkins: darn!

jhonora: You might want to see if there is a nice researcher in Berkeley who'll help you out. It has worked for me. Or do you have kin folks still down that way?

3rdthawkins: yeah, you're right, was thinking the same thing........I'm sure I do, but don't know any of them

daviss: oh I thought you meant you did not know where levi was buried 3rd I guess I need glasses again and a hearing aid and a knee replacement

3rdthawkins: I didn't daviss, and still don't, the DC never stated a cemetery, just the City, there's a lot of that for Hawkins, either buried in Jamestown or Alvin, SC, but no exact location

daviss: and a hip replacement whats wifes name

3rdthawkins: so still looking for name of cemetery........Jessie daviss, you know, maiden name Lum

daviss: jessie hawkins

3rdthawkins: yep

daviss: here they both are

AYWalton: gonna run, folks.

ProfDru: gotta run

Seventies Soulchild: Checke this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7oX2OcKTDM

3rdthawkins: a lot of running going on

Seventies Soulchild: lol yep

daviss: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=121&GScid=2353895&GRid=52373103& http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=121&GScid=2353895&GRid=52373098& levi and jessie

3rdthawkins: um, daviss, mine were in Kershaw county. that Jesse is a male, mine was female, and the Levi was born in 1890 and died in 1965. Mine was bonr 1870 and died 1944

daviss: ah ok

3rdthawkins: oops, Mine weren't in Kershaw County, mine were in Berkeley County

daviss: no pulling teeth

3rdthawkins: 1925 would be way too young for Jessie lol talk about pulling teeth, that's yanking teeth rofl

daviss: they are in a Methodist cemetery too

3rdthawkins: hmm, I see interesting tomb(head)stone for Jesse

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'm out. Have a good day all.

jhonora: I'm signing off y√°ll

daviss: mabe you can call them and see if they have one also in your area

3rdthawkins: would it be same as African Methodist?

daviss: I know Baker Cemetery had several throught Texas Is that what they were? AME and United are Different

3rdthawkins: I think so, I have to check the records to to see the exact name, I know my great grandfather attended an AME at the time of his death, but that was in Florence Co. not sure if it was Baptist or AME, or what, forgot

daviss: what about the cemetery that the Lums are buried in did you look through them

3rdthawkins: don't know about that, have to do research on that one, didn't think about that, will have to check some DC's

daviss: ok good luck with it

3rdthawkins: thanks

daviss: looks like everyone left

3rdthawkins: yep

daviss: oh well, mabe I better go take a shower lol

3rdthawkins: ok then daviss, talk to you later

daviss: just kidding 3rd making a joke about the room being cleared

3rdthawkins: oh, lol went over my head

daviss: I see

3rdthawkins: rotfl

daviss: but I may as well cut the lights out so I will chat the next time bye 3rd

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy