Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-03-11 Friday LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:58:54
End: 13:18:53
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn, yatah

alt: hello daviss. whas up?

daviss: heyy alt! how are you lol you can't cut and paste and I can't get sound to hear when you come in

alt: was gonna holler atcha, thought you might of had your volume turned down :)

daviss: its up as far as it will go but nada zilch

alt: okay, I just replied to your post on Milton Holland.. there is an TX-OH connection there I wasn't aware of.

daviss: Oh really alt you mean because he was born in Tx

alt: yep, and when he was in Albany, Athens Co., OH he might of known some of Anita's ancestors they were in Athens Co. during that period.

daviss: his confed father sent him and another brother to school in Ohio wow alt!

alt: right

daviss: I was hoping to find the name of his mother but so far nothing

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning Daviss and alt

alt: they in a place called Coolvile about 5 miles from Albany.

daviss: hello seventies

alt: coolville

Seventies Soulchild: Just the topic I was wanting to discc Milton HOlland...

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild

daviss: lol okayyyyy!

Seventies Soulchild: lol I can't spell today... lol

daviss: thats my story everyday seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I read your blog posting and the responses on Afrigeneas... I was wondering what his ethnicity was... thought maybe perhaps Indian black

daviss: his father was white

Seventies Soulchild: I saw his photo on the Ohio webpage and boy oh boy I could tell. One of our prospective students here sent us a copy of his family genealogy I posted in the states research forum

alt: daviss. I'm gonna have tocheck out his genealogy.. there are a 'bunch' of light skinned Holland's in this area.

daviss: his mother was a slave and he belonged to his uncle

alt: oh, you have some genealogy on him Seventies Soulchild Oops, misunderstood... your student's genealogy, not Holland's right

Seventies Soulchild: yes... the ancestor was John Bell of Fairfax Co, VA

alt: okay

Seventies Soulchild: not Holland...

daviss: oh ok

Seventies Soulchild: Supposedly this guy was the son of a politician, but is not named in the article. http://fairfaxstories.community.officelive.com/JamestownStorySummersHouston.aspx

daviss: alt Holland went to school at the Albany Enterprise Academy

Seventies Soulchild: I thought it was interesting that he added this to his application file. Not that it will matter... lol

daviss: lol

alt: got a 'fabulous' photo in an email... Michelle Obama with the twin daughter's of my cousin who was a classmate of both Barack & Michelle Obama.

Seventies Soulchild: hi yatha hi yatah... lol again with the typing...

yatah: hi

daviss: hello yatah!

Seventies Soulchild: oh great alt! Your cousins sent it?

daviss: nice alt!

alt: Yes daviss , the ;albany Enterprise Academy in Albany, Ohio, bout 5 miles from where Anita's folks were living in the 1860's Yes Seventies Soulchild, it was attached in the email Hello yatah

daviss: Milton's brother William also served but he was with the 16th

Seventies Soulchild: Did Willaim survive the war daviss?

daviss: yep and he went on to become a state legislator in Texas there was another brother Kemp but I am not sure about him

Seventies Soulchild: oh wow... wait didn't you blog about him, William Holland before?

daviss: no I bloged about a fella named Hawkins

alt: gonna watch some hoops .. Ohio State is playing, hope to get back in chat a little later.

daviss: ok alt later This was only my second civil war soldier seventies doing my duty lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

daviss: do you blog yatah?

Seventies Soulchild: http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/exhibits/forever/representation/page6.html

yatah: huh?

Seventies Soulchild: This is what you posted from daviss...

daviss: some seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Because there was a former enslaved from AL yes this one.

yatah: where

Seventies Soulchild: http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/exhibits/forever/biographies/page1.html

daviss: online yatah do you write about your folks

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

vkn: hey hey hey and howdy all

daviss: hello vkn http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/exhibits/forever/biographies/page8.html#P

yatah: davis, where i can find ?

vkn: Howdy yatah daviss seventies alt

daviss: Ed Patton is in my Williams line seventies

Seventies Soulchild: okay..

vkn: daviss picked up another wacoer via essence t to states

daviss: http://mariahszepher.blogspot.com/ here you go yatah this is my blog oh really vkn waco it seems is popular lol

vkn: will post to states forum

daviss: ok

vkn: Yes it i s daviss and thanx for the census images

daviss: I went line by line in 1870 for Palm but no hits yet vkn I went from Tx to Ga

yatah: oh i not wrote about blog

daviss: oh ok yatah you are welcome vkn. I wondered if you had those images

Seventies Soulchild: Another thing I meant to mention is that Willie Robinson (Varnado of Mississippi) nephew works directly with me.

ProfDru: hello gang

Seventies Soulchild: I've known about the varnado line for at least 12 yrs.

daviss: hello ProfDru

vkn: Howdy Profdru

Seventies Soulchild: ProfDru heyyy

daviss: Where have I heard that name seventies( Robinson)

Seventies Soulchild: Jackie Robinson... lol

daviss: :o

vkn: ProfDru are you continuing to test "go to meeting"?

Seventies Soulchild: I just couldn't resist daviss.. lol

ProfDru: The trial version expired. The last one I did was with Khathu in the meeting center.

Seventies Soulchild: http://www.africanaheritage.com/_Ancestor_Story_.asp?AncestorID=105

daviss: oh ok seventies lol now I know who it is

vkn: and how did the last one turn out ProfDru I apologize for not being there but cup runneth over

ProfDru: it went well and he understood how to use to tool.

daviss: I was reading a pretty interesting blog this morning about Henderson Judd and his family

vkn: Grrrrrreat

daviss: Outrage on Cape Fear in NC

vkn: hmmmmm i will find after chat

Seventies Soulchild: Do you have a link daviss?

daviss: looking now seventies found it http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/03/10/954795/-Genealogy-and-Family-History-CommunityHenderson-Judd-and-Outrage-on-the-Cape-Fear-River

Seventies Soulchild: Dang! I can't get the dailykos here... for some reason its blocked... lol

daviss: shoot! its a pretty good little article

vkn: What classes are you doing now ProfDru

Seventies Soulchild: ok I have the article up now... maybe it was just the time of day and the network was busy.

daviss: man, that 8.9 was a doozy.

Seventies Soulchild: it was... they reported on CSPAN this morning 300 dead in one town.

daviss: I guess they are getting pummelled in Cresent City Ca by now

Seventies Soulchild: in Japan

daviss: the tsunami was suppsed to hit about 9 or so no in Cali seventies

Seventies Soulchild: d@mn phonee!

daviss: where's my bar of soap :?

Seventies Soulchild: sorry, but I'm on lunch.... and this phone is ringing.... :(

daviss: so you are blaming the phone lol and not the caller

ProfDru: vkn, I did a social media workshop last night; I'm preparing for a USCT workshop for next month. That one would work for the conference meeting room.

Seventies Soulchild: both daviss! lol

daviss: lol lol vkn do you have any friends in Cresent City Ca? Crescent

vkn: Oops sorry I missed last night PofDru. We had our last BHM activity at my legacy center for residents. Had a review of Wilkersons book and had an old country dinner Not to my knowledge daviss

Seventies Soulchild: We should discuss that on one of the chats vkn.. would be agreat discussion.

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all. howdy alt, daviss ProfDru in da house!!

ProfDru: discuss what, soulchile?

Seventies Soulchild: hey AYWalton

AYWalton: Hey SoulChile.

vkn: What platform will you be using for the usct Profdru

daviss: afternoon AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: The Warmth of Other Suns

AYWalton: Greetings, VKN!!!!!!! hi yatah

ProfDru: Angela in da house

Seventies Soulchild: Or have I missed that discussion??

vkn: Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy AYW

ProfDru: vkn, the meeting room can be used for that presentation.

vkn: Oh that will be great. Let's do it profdru

ProfDru: when, vkn? I'll be ready next month. Still building this presentation

daviss: lost already alt! lol

vkn: Seventies that sounds great

alt: back for Halftime... Hello ProfDru, vkn & AYWalton

AYWalton: ProfDru we were waiting for your tweets last night.

ProfDru: hello alt Angela, did you see my explanation on facebook?

AYWalton: oh I have not been there, yet. Will take a look.

vkn: alt I have a bbrickwall for you to knock down in Dayton essence related

alt: question... how many other uses can you find for Ancestry chart & Family group sheet than their intended purposes?

ProfDru: Do any of you use Footnote?

alt: okay vkn, shoot

AYWalton: I use Footnote all the time. Am on it right now, in fact.

vkn: I do not understand how to use footnote AYW has me on how2 list

AYWalton: don't see any explanation on Footnote, Dru.

daviss: yes prodru

alt: for me, not too often ProfDru

vkn: Footnote is now owned by Ancestry

ProfDru: since footnote merged with ancestry, will the records be included on the ancestry site?

AYWalton: I bypass the clutter----meaning pages that folks have built for themselves---like the trees on Ancestry. I use the documents themselves, especially since all of the Dawes records are online. some are now already on Ancestry, since Ancestry has purchased Footnote, but I still use Footnote as well.

ProfDru: I see footnote has the Washington, DC ciry directory. I did not see this directory on ancestry.

vkn: alt have you heard of a Dr. Hunter

Seventies Soulchild: ProfDru, I asked them that question when they sent an e-mail regarding the merger

ProfDru: so will the records be merged, soulchile?

Seventies Soulchild: From what I can tell, no not right now. But they did offer me a 50% discount on a footnote subscription.

vkn: Alt seems his sister was homeless and died in Warner Robbins and no family came to claim the body

alt: i think ancestry will keep their databases separate from footnote ProfDru, there may be some crossover inso far as 'specific documents' but the DB's will stay on ancestry,,, I would think

AYWalton: some are already on ancestry. Some are not.

alt: do you have a first name for Dr. Hunter vkn?

AYWalton: I use the Dawes records everyday---several times a day. Was just on the phone with Terry and we were discussing files and while chatting I bounced from file to file as he made suggestions to illustrate relationships.

Seventies Soulchild: *sigh* I'm logging off. These people refuse to let me have lunch in peace. Talk to y'all later

ProfDru: I've been looking at the Norfolk, VA city directory today for Madison Lewis. These directories are free on the Norfolk library's website.

AYWalton: I use the USCT service records for the groups that are there---unfortunately only regiments with number lower than 55.

vkn: caroline rosa Hunter born 1904 ashley ohio born alt

AYWalton: Hey there, Selma!

ProfDru: how are those footnote usct record differentthan the ones on ancestry?

daviss: hello selma!

AYWalton: they are the same.

ProfDru: Selma in da house!!!!

alt: not familiar with those names vkn

Selma: Good Friday afternoon everyone

AYWalton: that is what I was saying----those images of military service records are on Ancestry.

alt: Hello Selma

AYWalton: Footnote's interface I think is better, though, as you can manipulate the file better.

ProfDru: Angela, did you get my email about my genealogy society's interest in adopting USCTs?

AYWalton: yes, I just saw that a few minutes ago! I love it!!!!! they should do that!!!

ProfDru: ol, Angela, I'll give footnote a try

vkn: john edward hunter is an ENT alt goes by name of JEHunter in Dayton

AYWalton: I am so excited about it. ProfDru, if you need a quick way to work through Footnote let me know.

ProfDru: I knew you would be Angela

AYWalton: there are things to go to right away. I will encourage that for sure.

ProfDru: ol angela ok

daviss: Selma did you make it to the library

alt: so, no one uses ancestor charts & FG sheets for anyhting other than their intended purposes (vitals w/locations)

vkn: Howdy selma I have a brickwall for you to consider. Will post later today

AYWalton: what other uses are there, alt? I came in late so maybe you discussed already.

alt: I'm thinking you can chart migrations, occupations, who to test for DNA, familiy military service, etc.

Selma: No...Dru and I were suppose to go...but..we were tired

vkn: alt Not sure how to answer your query. Are there examples of such being used in other ways than intended?

daviss: ok Selma, I just wanted you to know that I piddled again over Virginias peeps

alt: not that I know of vkn, at least I haven't read anything on other uses for charting family histories.

vkn: okies

AYWalton: Just found your post on facebook, ProDru.

Selma: Those city directories are wonderful aren't they Dru...grant money well spent Oh..what did you come up with daviss...I think I had looked at them a long time ago

ProfDru: ok angela

daviss: lol nothing really, just the few we went over yesterday

Selma: Dru was great last night folks

alt: I'm thinking one could take a 'vertical look' at an ancestor chart and figure out 'by generation' many other family aspects using the family group sheets for each family in that generation.

Selma: Thanks goodness we have her in our group..cause by and large we are a NO techno group.. LOL

ProfDru: yes grant money well spent, Selma

vkn: but of course ProfDru was great cause she be great selma lol

ProfDru: lol vkn

Selma: Somebody should donate some money to have the Newport News/Hampton directories digitized When I win the Lotto I will LOL

ProfDru: So vkn, let's set a date for the online usct lecture in the conference meeting room. I figure either a Monday or Wednesday would work since we have chats on other nights. What do you think? that would be great, selma

Selma: Oh great idea on the USCT lecture

alt: just thought of a good 'cluster genealogy' example with daviss posting on Milton Holland

vkn: Set the time ProfDru based on your best view and we can all begin the promo. Would lso suggest that people who come to LunchBunch and Tuesday night test session the meeting room in order to have a smooth session

ProfDru: ok, I'll email you vkn

alt: he was from TX, but made his name in the USCT with the 5th USCI, formerly the 127th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.... how, why & when did he get to ohio from TX to volunteer for the military.

vkn: thankee

Seventies Soulchild: hey I'm back.. :)

daviss: then he ended up in Maryland to spend the rest of his days alt wb seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hey selma

ProfDru: gotta run

alt: exactly daviss... how many 'families' did he connect to in his various locations of habitat?

vkn: y'all be good

daviss: interesting thought alt

Selma: Welcome back 70's

alt: oh, oh, I must of messed up asking a 'general' type of question and not specific to anyone's particular efforts LOL

daviss: lol alt I am learning

alt: I'm trying to learn too daviss, but the chat sometimes gets away from genealogy and becomes so 'personal'.

Selma: Did I miss something?

daviss: then turn it back around alt

alt: I dunno Selma, but I think I did

Seventies Soulchild: lol yep we all have been guilty of that.

alt: can't seem to daviss

Selma: How is on WDYTYA tonite?

alt: a country western star?

daviss: my thing is lack of knowledge on so many areas so I tend to listen

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to watch injustice files tonight at 9 EST

daviss: thats the way I learn

Selma: Are we chatting tonite daviss?

alt: me too daviss.... granddaddy used to say you learn with your ears open and not your mouth LOL LOL

daviss: I think it is a regular WDYTYA as long as its on selma

Selma: Looks like its a repeat

daviss: who is it Selma

alt: back to the ballgane laters y'all

daviss: a repeat already

Selma: Kim Catrell?

Seventies Soulchild: So Lionel Ritchie was the last episode then?

daviss: thats from last year

Selma: No I don't think so...there are more planned.

Seventies Soulchild: That's what I thought at least 2 additional episodes.

Selma: Well ..see you all this evening..I have to run..have a great rest of the day

daviss: has Ashley Judd been on

Seventies Soulchild: later Selma. I'm going too bye all

daviss: bye

Seventies Soulchild: Don't think so

daviss: bye seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Maybe she cancelled hers... lol

daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: talk to you tonite . . . maybe

daviss: k

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy