Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-01-26 LunchBunch Wednesday

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:01:14
End: 12:57:15
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

3rdthawkins: hey daviss

daviss: hello 3rd!

3rdthawkins: how's it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daviss: going as well as could be expected I guess. What about you?

3rdthawkins: going very well, connected with a cousin, looking forward to great things this year :)

daviss: thats good. I am hoping for a good year also If not Genealogy wise, health wise will do

3rdthawkins: I learned the lady in the photo that my grandparents' cousin sent me was my great great grandmother, this cousin I just connected with had the same photo of her, it was great. She also had a much younger photo of her also, very nice hey vkn

daviss: hello there vkn. How are you?

vkn: Hey to u 2

Seventies Soulchild: hey y'all

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

daviss: I imagine you were thrilled to hear that 3rd and to have the picture heyy seventies!

Seventies Soulchild: heeyyyy daviss! :}

3rdthawkins: yes, was nice

daviss: Seventies did you pour into your packet any more/ ?

Seventies Soulchild: yes... I brought it to work this AM to examine it further during lunch. My next step will be to order DCs for the sons

daviss: Did either of you make it to chat last night?

3rdthawkins: yes daviss

Seventies Soulchild: no... was watching the pres and my tv show.

3rdthawkins: wb vkn

vkn: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum/index.cgi/md/read/id/83809/sbj/a-guide-for-beginners/

daviss: great insight seventies. How many sons were there?

Seventies Soulchild: three.

vkn: Please consider helping with this project

daviss: I saw Davids response this morning vkn

vkn: That will be the exit URL for today

Seventies Soulchild: I hope not. :}

daviss: good deal

vkn: Also will need peeps to test 1st chat room Thursday evening at 9 It is a moderated room

daviss: I will try and be there vkn

3rdthawkins: oops, closed out one too many tabs

vkn: Runnin ~~~~~~~~

Seventies Soulchild: ok so now, I have a few names to work with daviss. Galimore, Galaway and Wade.

daviss: Wade is a new one

Seventies Soulchild: yes was the maiden name of Phoebe Galmore.

3rdthawkins: Galaway could be tough, because you also have Galloway, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: Also going to see if I can order her bounty claim

3rdthawkins: Gallaway

daviss: that would really be nice

Seventies Soulchild: In the notes it also mentioned that they were married in 1856 and the certificate was a notorized marriage certificate. Maybe I can find that in Freedman's records.

daviss: and this was MS

Seventies Soulchild: Interestingly, it was said to have been lost in a fire. . . there goes that fire story again. Yes in Mississippi

daviss: FPOC's

Seventies Soulchild: Maybe I can find a copy of the info missing from this file in the bounty file. Don't know if they were FPOCs daviss.

daviss: I keep forgetting that Texas was jerk

Seventies Soulchild: So far the sons are Canada (candy), William (Billy) and James Galimore.

daviss: what month was the marriage

Seventies Soulchild: didn't say.

3rdthawkins: that's cool stuff SS, you're always getting interesting info

Seventies Soulchild: As per our discussion yesterday, James is my grandfather, but he is nicknamed Candy for his grandfather. I thought that was cool.

3rdthawkins: hey Selma

daviss: yes it is cool

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Selma :}

Selma: Afternoon everyone

daviss: seventies when did Ms hear the news that the war was over?

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks 3rd

daviss: hello Selma!

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know but I do know that there were a lot of USCT troops and Vols in the state. From about 1863 forward I also found out that the 5h USCT Hv'y art became the 9th LA Vols

daviss: right.. just trying to figure out about the marriage lic being notarized

Selma: Learning alot of Civil War history aren't you seventies

Seventies Soulchild: yes more than I expected.

Selma: LOL

daviss: like I was saying everone knew but Texas lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol well they have the biggest celebrations. Maybe it had something to do with it perhaps being a 'slave marriage' and they went to validate it after the war. Or it could've been something that was signed off on later.

daviss: I don't know how many folks rushed to the Freedmans Bureau to get married either

Seventies Soulchild: Well I do know that Phoebe was dead by 1905, as it was indicated in the statements.

Selma: It could be it depended on where the offices were daviss

AYWalton: good afternoon, all.

3rdthawkins: hello AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: hi AYWalton

AYWalton: hi 3rd

Selma: Afternoon AY

daviss: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: greetings, daviss, Ms. Selma, SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: So there is no D.C. on her. those extra records I'm going to post them on genealogywise. I looked over them and they are all for caucasian people.

daviss: Harrison County had one but only a couple marriages from what I saw

Selma: There is a reference to a Minister in hampton performing "100's of Marriages" but I only see about 10-15 recroded

Seventies Soulchild: that is strange. Maybe they are at the county level.

Selma: So not sure if they were performed and the couples were given certificates but no complete lists were kept or what

Seventies Soulchild: good point

daviss: Is the Bureau located in your area of research seventies

Selma: Or since this was under Freedmen's Bureau the lists got lost

daviss: perhaps you can get that roll

Seventies Soulchild: Yes there was one in Natchez, daviss But remember I was telling you that I found a freedman's marriage record book in Wilkinson Co. in 2009? Perhaps they have something similar to that on the county level.

Selma: Did you copy the book seventies?

daviss: hello alt

Selma: Afternoon alt

Seventies Soulchild: No I didn't Selma AND I regret not doing that now. :(

alt: Hello All, 3rd, AY, daviss, Selma & 70's

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt

AYWalton: howdy alt!!!!

Selma: We won't fuss..we know you know better now...NEXT time copy

daviss: lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Yes MA'AM! lol lol lol I have to admit I had tunnel vision that trip

3rdthawkins: hey alt

daviss: so that means seventies you may have to take an extra day when you go to your reunion :? and thats beyond the extra one you were gonna take anyway to research We could call it "The Copy The Book" day lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol Thanks daviss

AYWalton: SoulChile perhaps this is the year that you expand what you do and what you study. You will learn more about studying the community---your ancestors lived in a community and not in an empty void.

3rdthawkins: so what's up alt....quiet

AYWalton: when you start to document the community---you begin to absorb what was happening to everyone---and thus also what was happening to your own people. And you can then tell the story better.

alt: usct listening & learning 3rdthawkins

Selma: BRB

Seventies Soulchild: They still live in a very vibrant community where 'everybody knows your name. " lol

3rdthawkins: ok

AYWalton: the entire roster, is important---some were sisters and brothers and cousins who married. Some assisted each other in many ways, and remember the people they married---they were not strangers---they were from the community.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm discovering that as well. One of the first things I noticed when lookint at my folks in Wilkinson Co. MS

AYWalton: So other names that you don't know or think -hmm....not related to me----they really could be. they can be the relatives of the wife's people. a wife's sister's marriage could be there---but if you think---they are not my people----then you miss another piece of the family puzzle. even more reason for people open their eyes, and not be dismissive---with the "they are not my folks" syndrome that limits what you actually gain. sounds like that roster would a neat thing to publish on your blog.

daviss: oh yeah, and for here also.. we have amarriage forum

AYWalton: which reminds me that I have to update something on my own blog. lol

daviss: I am still having a brain freeze for both of my blogs

AYWalton: aw shucks----you have tons of stuff, daviss!

daviss: I thought I had two subjects but could not quite get it together mabe soon What was the chat about last night, I could not make it

AYWalton: gee daviss, I have slept since then. lol

3rdthawkins: nothing specific daviss, mainly Seventies' pension files

daviss: oh ok

AYWalton: I was multi-tasking, of course :) Was watching the president's address while look at email as well. You know how it goes.

3rdthawkins: Sadonya came in

AYWalton: oh SoulChile did you glean any info on Wellington?

daviss: Well thats good to hear lol

3rdthawkins: she asked about you

daviss: re Sadonya.

Seventies Soulchild: sorry phone call... no AYWalton not yet

AYWalton: how many pages was the file?

Seventies Soulchild: But the surname Scott is definitely on my list. Some in the area and some married into different lines of my family. 26

AYWalton: sounds like a Scott project might emerge. note the witnesses for sure. what you need is a good base file. meaning a name rich pension file that becomes the springboard for other data.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I need to organize better. alot of stuff is floating around in my head or on my harddrive or in some folders... lol

Selma: Was that the whole file seventies

Seventies Soulchild: that was the whole minor pension request file yes.

AYWalton: some files are scant. The files with the most data are the ones where both the soldier and the widow filed. even a file where the widow applied but did not receive a pension can be of interest.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh AYWalton, have you ever seen a Bounty File or Bounty certificate files?

AYWalton: I have a file like that---my ancestor Amanda---filed for over 30 years. not in my states, SoulChile. they are prevalent I know in MD/VA cases.

Selma: Bounty land files?

Seventies Soulchild: I'm interested in knowing if they would be available to be ordered. I have certificate numbers. Bounty, today known as enlistment bonuses, were the money promised to soldiers for volunteering. Looks as if there were two acts which allowed this. if the soldier died in combat or on active duty their spouses, dependents or parents could have receievd this money.

Selma: Oh Ok...Yes, I have seen mention..paid $100...$200 due

Seventies Soulchild: Right. Yes so sometimes. I have a bounty award given to Charles and Charity Rounds on my blog. This is the second time I've seen this in a CW file. that sentence didn't make any sense. I'm typing too fast! lol

daviss: I sent my sis in law a copy of her Ark grandparents marriage lic and boy was she bowled over

Selma: Made sense to me...so what does that mean

Seventies Soulchild: lol I don't know... lol

Seventies Soulchild: did it list the parents of the bride and groom or any witnesses daviss?

daviss: It was a little teaser hoping she would get interested in genealogy

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Selma: Worth a try daviss... lOL

daviss: York Wilborn was his name. I thought it was a strong name whoever posted the bond may be a relative

Seventies Soulchild: Well its very 'American'. When were these folks married?

3rdthawkins: yeah, I can understand that daviss, my dad is so amazed at hearing family history he never knew about

Seventies Soulchild: My family is as well. They love it. I get kudos all the time.

3rdthawkins: oh, speaking of which Seventies Soulchild, interesting post on African names, and the name Monday, my dad's stepfather's grandfather's name was Monday, wife's name Aloisa

Seventies Soulchild: Yes if a child was named after the day of the week good indication of the culture their ancestors may have come from. These types of names are very Akan/Ashanti in origins. the ones the poster mentioned.

Selma: I have to run folks....have a great day

daviss: oops sorry selma. I hate telemarket folks but I know they need a job lol

Seventies Soulchild: ok what happened. Selma said she was leaving, but alt left...lol

Selma: Now I am leaving

3rdthawkins: hmm, interesting Seventies, Papa was would be happy to hear that

Seventies Soulchild: lol ok have a good day Selma

AYWalton: I guess it is time to bail out. Later for me too, folks.

Seventies Soulchild: wow... okay. well you know my lunch time is almost done...

daviss: guess its time lol

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks for your guidance ms daviss. Appreciate that :}

daviss: later later

Seventies Soulchild: bye all

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy