Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-01-25 LunchBunch Tuesday

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:08:34
End: 13:39:40
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, AYWalton, daviss, march1801, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

3rdthawkins: hello march brb

march1801: ok hello daviss

daviss: hi there march1801! How have you been?

march1801: ive been good, but busy busy bee! and u?

daviss: lol I try my darndest not to be busy lol Are you still in Texas

ProfDru: hello gang

daviss: Hi ProDru!

march1801: finally getting time to get back to my research. yes i'm still in texas. hi prof

daviss: Good for you March1801 I forgot, are you researching in Va?

ProfDru: what's wrong with the chat's login? I can't get in under my regular login

3rdthawkins: back...hello daviss and ProDru

march1801: no i'm researching washington co ga

daviss: dunno Prodru, have you updated java mabe? thats right march1801 I think I am looking for my Burks in Wilkes County

ProfDru: probably not lately

daviss: try that prodru and see if it will help..If not, check with the help desk

march1801: my washington county ga search is leading me to Saffold and Jordan surnames of both washington and wilkes co ga as well hey seventies

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

daviss: those are two names I have not seen in researching. That Saffold is unusual hey seventies I hope you finally got some sleep seventies

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon all LOL went to bed at around 2:30am got up at about 5:30 am I felt like I was in the story "the princess and the pea"

daviss: march1801 did you ever get to the archives in FTWorth? lol @ seventies

3rdthawkins: ouch! 3 hrs of sleep

Seventies Soulchild: hi daviss, march1801 and 3rd

3rdthawkins: wb

Seventies Soulchild: hey ProfDru

daviss: no workie huh prodru

ProfDru: hey soulchile

march1801: yes, but did not find what i was looking for. marinating over a new game plan.

ProfDru: lol vicky

Seventies Soulchild: oh that reminds me I'm supposed to be eating lunch! lol

daviss: ProfessorDru is this the way you are coming in typing it just like that I guess I am making myself clear lol what do you think you did not do right march1801 at the archives? I have never been Did you have a list of things you wanted to find?

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

Seventies Soulchild: daviss, I'm started calling my list, the Wish List.

Selma: Afternoon everyone

daviss: hello Selma! so you know exactly what to search for seventies when you head to the archives

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, but I've never find what I want, just what they have... lol

march1801: was too focused on the Saffolds and not the Jordans.

daviss: lol

Selma: Where is alt?

Seventies Soulchild: I always try to make the best of it though. Some info is better than no info.

daviss: oh reallyy march1801 why did that matter? yo no se Selma

3rdthawkins: good question Selma, usually he is here by this time, he was here yesterday, left same time I did

Seventies Soulchild: Maybe he's taking time off to be with his spouse. :)

Selma: Or she gave him a "job" to do.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol hey I was trying to be nice... lol So march1801, your family originates in Georgia?

march1801: because after I did my search at the archives I recieved a packet of information from the Saffold Family Society that Isham Saffold inherited slaves from his wife, Patience (Jordan) Saffold's father John Jordan.

Selma: Ahh...

daviss: oooh march1801 I see

Selma: Nothing like marryingh someone with "assests"

Seventies Soulchild: seems like what they did back in those days.

daviss: were you able to match up any names or ages march 1801?

Seventies Soulchild: I was watching antiques road show last night and I got good and mad. talking about assets.

march1801: John Jordan owned close to 100 slaves so I trying to generate a list of available sources and indexes. and rework my strategy from the Jordan angle.

daviss: was the inheritance through a dowry also

Selma: Does it say how many enslaved individuals she inherited?

daviss: or after his demise

Seventies Soulchild: I wonder if the land was inherited also.

march1801: he inherited at least 21 slaves from John jordan

Selma: Did she the wife have siblings?

march1801: yes Patience did have siblings he inherited the slaves after John jordan's death

Selma: Did the siblings also inherit slaves?

daviss: dang, those saffolds are all over Ga

march1801: @selma, not sure.

daviss: did your packet include pictues also pictures

Selma: Did the packet include a copy of his will or inventory?

march1801: no, but the Saffold Family Society has a website where they have pictures of Isham Saffold's brother, Seaborn Saffold and a few of his descendants unfortunately it did not include a copy of the will or inventory? so i'm going to my local library on friday because the have a book that contains a list of available wills etc by surname and county to see if I can get that info and request from county in the state of GA i mean for the state of GA

AYWalton: good afternoon, all.

3rdthawkins: hello AY

march1801: hi AY

Seventies Soulchild: hello AYWalton

Selma: Afternoon AY

AYWalton: I hope everyone is doing well, today. wassup Ms. Selma, daviss, SoulChile?

Selma: Trying...my grandson (age 5) has the flu...thank goodness I had my flu shot

AYWalton: hello march1801 hi 3rd

3rdthawkins: doing good AY, making some family connections, got to see a photo of my great great grandparents, so cool

AYWalton: oh dear does he have a high temp, Selma? that's nice

Seventies Soulchild: just checking up on some stuff online.

Selma: Home with his Dad..yes he has the fever

3rdthawkins: wow Selma, pray he gets better

AYWalton: poor thing, but children are resilient. They bounce back quickly.

daviss: hello there AYWalton!

AYWalton: wassup daviss????

Selma: I dropped off a couple of things at their house..he looked happy to be home with his Dad...I stood across the room and blew kisses

Seventies Soulchild: :}

daviss: I had to stay up after 12: am to get my cry on last night

AYWalton: that was probably wise.

3rdthawkins: what was you crying about daviss?

daviss: watched the Oprah show

3rdthawkins: ahhh, lol Darn! I missed it

AYWalton: so you got to see it, daviss?

3rdthawkins: I know that was good

daviss: yes, I set the auto tune lol

AYWalton: wasn't it interesting and somewhat sad. I think that their mom still has issues and Oprah was right---mama was still stuck in 1963.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh yea I caught the last few minutes of it.

daviss: issue of shame and now really out in the open

AYWalton: yes. Plus mama really did not embrace Patricia. she did not even look at her much.

Seventies Soulchild: now is Oprah talking to her sister who put her on blast?

daviss: she is deceased

3rdthawkins: the mom sounds a lot like my dad

AYWalton: that sister has died, Soulchile.

Seventies Soulchild: oh okay

AYWalton: but this new sister looks like the one who died.

Seventies Soulchild: So this adopted sister is the only sibling left alive from her mother. Interesting.

AYWalton: this is a biological sister. Mama had another child that she gave up for adoption in 1963. No one knew. Except an aunt. and this sister has been looking for her birth family. and the mother did not want to meet her when she made contact.

daviss: I wonder if they discussed where the father may be..

Seventies Soulchild: I understand that, but the sister was adopted out.

AYWalton: (This is Oprah's mom as well.) yes after living the foster family scene for a while. when she found out---she did not come forth----she kept quiet about it for 4 years.

daviss: The mother had 4 children.. two are deceased

Seventies Soulchild: wow.

AYWalton: she was not trying to get attention because of her biological ties. ironically, when she got the call from the agence that her birth mother did not want to meet her, was the same day Oprah had her mom on TV.

3rdthawkins: Oprah sure do have a story, hope to see it soon...movies/tv

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

AYWalton: she already knew info---like the fact that there were 2 children who had died, and that there was an older sister.

3rdthawkins: hey vkn

march1801: hi vkn

daviss: hello there vkn!

AYWalton: when she watched the program she realized that Oprah was her sister. Greetings VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!

vkn: heyyyyyyy and howdy yall

Selma: Afternoon vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Wonder if she passed out?! lol Ok I've got to go. have a good day all.

3rdthawkins: wow!!!

AYWalton: how are you doing today, vkn?

vkn: The Oprah story is an interesting one. Doing ok AYW!!!!!!

AYWalton: wasn't that fascinating, vkn?

march1801: i gotta go have a good rest of the day yall!

daviss: later march1801

vkn: Me thinks Oprah has never yet forgiven her mother for past stuff and this just adds fuel to that fire

daviss: oh yes

AYWalton: at that time that Patricia was born, Oprah was already living with her father, so mom was not in her life regularly.

vkn: A marvelous story

AYWalton: and the other sister, was the one who outed Oprah.

vkn: Well mom had sent Oprah away?

daviss: for the almighty dollar even though Oprah was already taking care of her

vkn: Well Daviss Oprah wasp rolly practicing tuff love

daviss: mom did not believe her own daughter me thinks :( Thank GOD for Vernon

AYWalton: did not believe whom?

Selma: Is Vernon still writing a book?

daviss: I dont believe the mom believed Oprah regarding the uncle

AYWalton: not sure if he is or not. I thought Vernita was pretty cold towards her long lost daughter.

Selma: Why would you think she would be otherwise?

daviss: well I wondered why because she said she went back for her

AYWalton: I guess that's a good point.

daviss: and that she was gone

Selma: Went back for her when and where (I didn't see the show)

AYWalton: and mama would have taken that story to her grave. And the aunt would have kept the secret, too.

daviss: I think she went back to the hospital yep AYWalton

Selma: Chat and State of the Union tonight

AYWalton: I don't believe that she really went back.

daviss: Oh yeah! meaning chat and State @ AY I had my doubts too

vkn: AYW I thought Vernita was cold period Thick stuff between vernita and Oprah

AYWalton: I can see why Oprah's father stepped in.

Selma: Not all family stories are "touchy, feely"

AYWalton: quite true.

vkn: Remember Oprah was abused from age 9 to about 14

AYWalton: I would not be surprise if there is another sibling floating around out there.

daviss: good point aywalton

AYWalton: were the two siblings that died---were they whole siblings to Oprah or also half?

3rdthawkins: true Selma

vkn: That is why O said she was still processing stuff

AYWalton: I can imagine!!

daviss: half

vkn: they were half AYW made it clear that they were not children of her father Vernon O made it clear that they were not children of her father Vernon

daviss: She also said that this should be a Come Clean time

AYWalton: and I wonder if Patricia is also a half sibling to those two that are already deceased.

daviss: or Get It Out in the Open time

vkn: Yes daviss that is anger at Vernita

daviss: she looks too much like Pat not to be AYWalton

vkn: LOTS of psycho social garbage there

AYWalton: lots and lots! tons of dysfunction going on!

3rdthawkins: wow, crazy

Selma: Lots of family drama...Ted Williams "the golden voice" has left rehab

daviss: on his own or is he thru

Selma: he LEFT..on his own..

daviss: well there goes his chance

vkn: oops be me not surprised

Selma: Vkn..I was talking a look at some Newport News records re: Coles/Page ESS query on the brick wall

vkn: Well that adds reality to genealogical dates and places

3rdthawkins: yep, sure does vkn

Selma: I believe I found one of the COLES she mentions in the City Directory

vkn: oh ok selma and what are you finding. That one is super heavy. I think she needs to do the DNA What say you to DNA AYW

Selma: Well first she needs to try not to focus on the Civil War Page......and try to reconstruct Georgia in the context of her life in Newport News

vkn: okies

AYWalton: Looking for the post. which thread it it, vkn?

vkn: brickwall ayw

AYWalton: ahhh I see it now.

Selma: You mean she should do DNA to see if she is biologically related to the COLES

vkn: I agree selma that she needs to focus. her room is crowded

daviss: thats what confused me Selma jumping from one to the other

vkn: Well you can tell she has been at it for a spell daviss

Selma: Makes for interesting reading, but at this point can not advance her research, but confuse the issue

AYWalton: ok I am not sure what she wants----to be a Civil War descendant or to find her mother's line. the post is extensive.

Selma: Yes it is.. LOL

AYWalton: I would first get her to focus on one thing at a time.

vkn: She wants to find her mothers line ayw

AYWalton: I guess she is trying to back her way into the Coles family hoping to give something to her mother. I would try to find out if there are guardianship records for her mom.

Selma: If I find anything should I post to the Forum or send directly to her

AYWalton: and to see what else is there on the family that can be learned.

vkn: Post to forum Selma It is truly a brick wall built by poster BUT TOGETHER we can assist her withthe many trowels we have lol

Selma: I think it was a painful issue for her Mom, and wants to honor her desire to know

vkn: I would agree Selma

Selma: and my other Mantra is "you need to be prepared for what you find..cause it ain't always what you think you know" or don't know

daviss: for sure Selma

vkn: daviss and all yall did Oprah say that the OWN would have a program called Family Search

AYWalton: it is called, "Searching For".

daviss: They have a program It has aired once

AYWalton: it is not genealogy per se, it is more of a looking-for-birth-family kind of program.

vkn: BTW AYW I understand that Allen Public Library will be the organizer of the Black Summit this time

AYWalton: well, vkn----there are two different Summits.

Selma: The first group was one day too late..

vkn: Oops I mean Ft Wayne

daviss: I think the Black Summitt will be in SLC

AYWalton: The one organized by Allen County---and Curt Witcher, will be this year in Ft. Wayne.

Selma: They should have copyrighted the Black Summitt title

AYWalton: The west coat folks who organized the last one, are having their Summit in Salt Lake City in 2012. AND-------then there is the AAHGS Conference this year, which still has not posted the dates for their conference, which might get scooped by the one at Allen County this October.

daviss: so is the title the same on both

vkn: yes with Marjorie Higgins?

daviss: using Black Summitt

AYWalton: the events are both called Summit.

vkn: LOL Black isin lol lol lol

AYWalton: The one in SLC will be the International Black Genealogy Summit. The one this year----an inaugural event---is called the Black Genealogy Summit!

daviss: ok ok thats what I was thinking

Selma: Black folks sure are "hot" here lately

daviss: the west coast has always used West Coast Summit for their yearly events

AYWalton: using the term "Summit" is what is throwing people off. exactly. as I understand it, part of the issues arose when the local folks----the Links and I believe a group of Deltas and others, heard late in the year that more than 500 black folks were coming to town. So this time they are opting to be co-sponsors. I think that the Allen County folks did not knwo about them, and the local folks did not know that their local library was such a big deal in the genealogy world. and with them not being genealogists, they were not aware that AAHGS has an annual conference every October. Curt Witcher may have been aware, but I doubt if the others did.

Selma: I am sure Curt knew

AYWalton: so it will be interesting to see what happens, and how the AAHGS conference will be affected.

vkn: It all needs to be unified somehow

Selma: That will be the day vkn..you are such an optimist

vkn: lol

AYWalton: I wonder if there was kind of a situation where one group scopped the other.

Selma: Rahm Emaneul back on the ballot

vkn: ahhhhhh

Selma: State Supreme court reversed yesterday's ruling

daviss: wow selma

AYWalton: The very next day after the Ft. Wayne event was announced, the west coast folks announced the 2012 event for SLC. oh he is? On again, off again, huh?

Selma: Good thing or they were all going to get "Dead fishes"

daviss: I think they were planning it all along though AYW

Selma: Folks I need to go take a nap..so I am awake for the Chat tonite and the State of the Union

daviss: having the Internation every couple of years later sel

AYWalton: oh yes they were, but I think they felt pressured to make an announcement so folks would not think that the Allen County event was their event.

daviss: mosely Brawn almost had a chance sel

vkn: SLC i s trying to clean its past history and so is grabbing whatever but thew orgs are being pitted against eachother

AYWalton: because until Tim Pinnick informed me, I thought it was the Summit west coast as well.

vkn: k selma

Selma: It will take more than that to clean their record vkn.. Bye folks

daviss: bye

vkn: true that

AYWalton: well, I guess that's it for me too. You ladies have a wonderful day.

daviss: 'u2

AYWalton: day

daviss: later vkn.. mabe tonight

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy