Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-01-21 LunchBunch Friday

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:20
End: 13:30:42
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, di, Ingrid_Doweary, ProfessorDru, Selma, vkn

3rdthawkins: hey alt

alt: hello 3rdthawkins, how goes it today?

3rdthawkins: going good, been able to fill in blanks to my family tree yesterday, had a good day, hoping for the same today hello Selma

alt: hi Selma, how are ya?

Selma: Afternoon alt and 3rd

alt: wonderful 3rdthawkins, filling in blanks is always good.

3rdthawkins: from yesterday, the Lum surname is a Chinese name, just have to see how it ties into my family

Selma: The Lum surname also appears in early Virginia..and it is not associated with an Asian person

alt: okay, you have something that indicates these Lums as having chineses ancestry, or just a surname of Lum.... just asking, for the sake of accuracy, not doubting.

3rdthawkins: just teh surname alt, I have not found these people in any records yet

alt: okay, I've been mining the WW I fraft records for folks, it just dawned on me that my grandfather's 1st & 2nd cousins, etc. would have been 'draftable during WW I. Having great success in finding WW I draft records.

Selma: According to a Jan 30, 1626 Court Testimony..a Thomas LUM drowned in the James River

alt: there always some uncovered avenue/source to go back and add to what you already have on folks.

3rdthawkins: that's great alt, the problem for me, most of of teh males in my tree were born outside of the time frame that would make them eligible to fill out a Draft Card wow 1626 Selma? what state was that i? in

Selma: Virginia

3rdthawkins: ahh, ok

alt: that can happen 3rdthawkins, families often run a 'dearth' of male births for periods of time.

3rdthawkins: there's a white Moses Lum in MS, I am wondering if he is my great great grandmother's father, but nothing to connect him as of yet, I'm thinking maybe it's her mother that's Chinese

Selma: I got the info from a book entitled VA Immigrants and Adventurers 1607-1635..

alt: my mother, grandmother and one line of a great-grandmother had no males surviving to adulthood.

3rdthawkins: ok thx Selma.......................hello Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Selma, alt and 3rdthawkins

Selma: You see the appearance of Surnames that you later see all over

3rdthawkins: writing it down

Selma: Afternoon Ingrid

alt: hello Ingrid_Doweary, good friday to you.

Ingrid_Doweary: Good Friday to you also, Alt.

3rdthawkins: I had heard she grew up in an orphange, I was thinking maybe it was the Charleston Orphange, so I got the book through interlibrary loan, but her name doesn't show up

Selma: I am not saying that there is or is not a Chinese connection in your family...just that the surname can appear in other populations

3rdthawkins: correct Selma, I suspect that also have to find more information, just hard to jump right in there when you don't hae enough to go on alt, some of these males I cannot find a draft card for that I believe should be one for them

alt: right Selma & 3rdthawkins, timeframe & local demographics along with many factors have to be considered in determining ethnic origins of folks.

daviss: hello 3rd alt ingrid and selma

Ingrid_Doweary: I hear that 3rd. I just check out 5 books from the university library on African Americans within the American Civil War history.

Selma: Afternoon davis

alt: hello daviss, how are ya?

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Daviss

alt: WW I cards are amazing in their age range I'm finding 43-45 y/o men having draft cards. for WW I

daviss: I got so hung up in looking for Dingle's I forgot the time

Selma: I found the Dingle WWI draft record

alt: robert Nelson dingle?

daviss: yes found that two selma and noticed the next of kin was a Charlotte yes alt

alt: me too Selma.. and possible DC on the familysearch site.

Ingrid_Doweary: Sounds like the Old Man's Draft cards you're examining there, Alt.

daviss: but not sure if she is the wife or mother

alt: no Ingrid_Doweary, this is for WW I, not the old man's draft of 1942 for WW II.

Selma: The person needs to tell us who Dingle married...

daviss: she could be either because I found 5 or 6 with various age s

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh, I believe I spoke in error. Sorry Alt.

Selma: He probably appears in the 1920 and 1930

alt: no problem Ingrid_Doweary

daviss: for sure selma

3rdthawkins: funny, those I find in WWII I don't find one for WWI when they should have one

Selma: I try to tread softly and not say...........Ok who did he marry

3rdthawkins: hello di

alt: hello di, how are ya?

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Di

Selma: Afternoon di

di: hello all, i just wanted to come in and say hi. I can't stay ( i snuck in) lol

daviss: lol Selma I was looking to see if you were going to ask. heyyyy di!

Selma: I was thinking of how to word it...LOL Well glad you "snuck" in di.. LOL

di: alt I am excited, i am working on an idea and just too excited about the thought of it!

alt: i'm gonna 'snitch' on ya di LOL LOL excitement is good... can you share what your project is?

di: lol....if i stay to long i will be snitiching on myself! got alot of work to do today on 4 differnt projects/jobs

alt: oh, oh, be careful di

Selma: We want you to keep your JOB...

Ingrid_Doweary: We sure do. Jobs are hard to come by nowadays.

di: alt oh i will be asking for all of you 'guys' inputs. i am trying to develop a program to get young adults and teenagers interested or at least a taste of genealogy. i am trying to work with a history teacher to implement it. but basically it wil be a project for them to work on in school as a part of their history class

daviss: oh a good person for that would be prodru she is working on that now

3rdthawkins: yeah, she just did something like that

alt: wonderful di... you might ask ProfessorDru for some input, she is doing something similar with church youth groups in her aware. aware=area

Ingrid_Doweary: Happy to learn when folks are developing those types of projects. I'm always a student in that area.

Selma: We had a local college prof..who would send students to our meetings..he had them do their family histories

di: yeah i owe paper work for one and have to call my staff up for orientation with my other job, i am helping a friend sell dinners (cooking out of my house) now, and this idea. and kids are home from school. and i have to prepare for orientating a staff tomorrow. so i am not too busy i cant sneak in and say hi brb

3rdthawkins: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: good afternoon, all

daviss: hello AYWalton

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AY.

AYWalton: hi 3rd

Selma: Afternoon AY

AYWalton: greetings alt, daviss, di, Ingrid_Doweary, Ms. Selma

alt: if you want to get anything done di, they say give the job to a 'busy' person... and you are busy LOL

AYWalton: Hope you are all well.

alt: hello AYWalton

daviss: doing well AYWalton. I got my results back from FTDNA this morning :)

Selma: and Do Tell

alt: I se vkn is having some of the Essence readers post the queries to AfriGeneas.

AYWalton: that's a great idea!!!

daviss: that Dingle is one alt

AYWalton: is there a strategy to respond to them, and are they being identified as Essence-based queries?

alt: yep .. and I responded to the one on Gallimore from GA & NJ

AYWalton: daviss----that did it say?

daviss: ESS is the key AYWalton

AYWalton: oh ok, thanks, daviss.

di: well i want to incorporate my aagg, afrigeneas and the local family history center since it is in the area and new. I want the students to learn the resources but not be too far from reach. and i was hoping if they utilize the juniors forum here we would be able to guide them some here as well ( again out there in the real research world but not too far from a helping/guiding hand) maybe i can even get the nara in on it. see too excited

alt: Selma. she ain't who she thinks she is LOL LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: That's wonderful, Di. Great seeing you all again, got to run.

Selma: Who..I will have to go reread..

daviss: lol what chu talkin bout Willis (alt)

AYWalton: how are you doing this di? oh spill it, daviss!

di: ok i am gonna run. and if anyone has any input please email me, i want it to be something we can all take back and utilize where we live!

daviss: LOA1

di: AYWalton in my head right now! It is something I am trying to develop with a history teacher friend of mines.

daviss: looking in the mirror now lol

AYWalton: is that your Haplogoup daviss?

daviss: yes

Selma: I thought you mispelled LOL daviss

daviss: lol lol

alt: Haplogroup "L" and then the rest daviss

AYWalton: Your Haplogroup Loa1 has East African Origin as well as migrations in East Africa, North Africa and SouthEast Africa.. at least that is what one link I just looked up says. Haplogroup L0a1 is found at 4% among Cushitic Speakers and 6% among the Amhara Ethiopians, it has frequencies of 4% among the Tigrais and 5% among the Ethiopian population. It can be seen at 3% with Yemenis and 10% of Mozambique population,

daviss: whew ! AYWalton

AYWalton: so that should help you feel better!

Selma: Does that cover the continent.. LOL

daviss: :}

AYWalton: the question is----ok now where did they migrate their way into your family line! lol no, it leaves out Central and western---where most African Americans are from.

daviss: heck if I know lol I am just glad

AYWalton: So who ARE youf folks, daviss??? And how did they get here? lol

3rdthawkins: So I think daviss know who I am referencing when I say She is Who I Thought She Was!!!!!

AYWalton: greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Selma: Afternoon vkn

alt: hello vkn how are ya today?

vkn: heyyyyyyyyyyy good peeps

daviss: heyyy vkn

vkn: I be good

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

AYWalton: more info for you, daviss: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182106/ folks from Yemen and other places in the mideast have that haplogroup as well. interesting.

alt: daviss, you've had other 'direct' line family members do mtDNA test with other agencies?

vkn: 3rd alt ayw daviss di selma taking names lol

di: hi all

daviss: nope I did my maternal line with ancestry remember

alt: and it was the same haplogroup, right?

di: have a good day all

daviss: my brothers did the paternal but I did not have him do both

alt: oh, okay

daviss: I was jealous and wanted to do my own lol

AYWalton: and with this being an mtDNA test one wonders many things daviss----and how that female line came to be here in this country.

alt: well, now the family has both Y & mtDNA fro two testees

daviss: yes

ProfessorDru: hey gang

AYWalton: ProfessorDru is in da house!!

alt: hello ProfessorDru

vkn: hoedy dru

ProfessorDru: angela in da house

AYWalton: how's it going, ProfessorDru?

ProfessorDru: It is well, Angela

AYWalton: thanks for the video promo on your blog, ProfessorDru!

ProfessorDru: you

Selma: Hi Dru

ProfessorDru: you're welcomed

vkn: Emory Univ is apologizing for its role in slavery

alt: daviss, this was HVR1 & HVR2 with FTDNA?

3rdthawkins: what did they do vkn?

AYWalton: ahhh I had not seen that announcement vkn.

3rdthawkins: hello ProDru

daviss: yes alt both

ProfessorDru: brb

AYWalton: Is that a recent event from Emery?

alt: good daviss

vkn: Hot on Atlanta AJC this morning. I do not know full details. Slaves built the structures

AYWalton: very interesting! I shall take note on AJC website and put it on Twitter!

alt: when was Emory Univ founded vkn.. have they stated?

vkn: John Emory founder was a slave owner

3rdthawkins: ahh, I see, so there's a direct link

vkn: Built the Oxford Campus AYW yes 3rd

alt: okay, I was gonna say almost anything major built prior to the 1860's would have been thru slave labor.. the White House being another example.

daviss: thats for sure and minor too alt :?

alt: and TJ's fabled UVA, right Slema

3rdthawkins: that makes sense and understood

vkn: Plus a book about it all is just being released so guess that will boos sales

Selma: Yep

3rdthawkins: yes it will

vkn: Selma good input/feedback on your ESS researcher and I have another for you born in Newport News

alt: on those construction things. I wonder if they will ever go into and state the fact the slave labor was more than just plain laborer's.. that there were major AA craftsmen involved in those efforts.

AYWalton: where are the ESS queries vkn?

vkn: Now alt that is needed research

Selma: Ok...

vkn: Only two up so far ayw will alert you as they go up

AYWalton: where do they appears? appear?

Selma: The Liberian posting was interesting..is that an ESS

AYWalton: (sorry about that extra "s")

vkn: yes selma it is

alt: some of TJ's folks that he freed at given some credit for Monticello vkn... Fosset & Isaacs are a couple.

Selma: Number of folks left from Culpepper VA to Liberia...in the database

vkn: ahhhhhh a historic dwelling thnx alt

alt: Selma, I looked for Horace &/or Horace or Charles slaveowners in Culpepper, couldn't find any.

vkn: I have two great uncles who built the near palace like homes in the Choccolocco Valley of Alabama

Selma: There were no HORACE's in the database either alt...but it is a good source for her

alt: no doubt vkn.. there were some fanatastic AA craftsmen in the 'trades' that are seldom if ever mentioned.

Selma: Her/him?

alt: Yeah Selma, I'm wondering the timeframe for the Liberia movement... seems like the ACS should have some records somewhere.

vkn: Yes like Day of SC and my BENHAM grandfather who was a craftsman born SC

alt: and you will see in some manumission papers that the folks were being freed to specifically go to Liberia... this person should have some good leads.

ProfessorDru: Angela, how can I find out more about the USCTs of General Samuel Chapman Armstrong. They were in the 8th and 9th regiments.

AYWalton: I would study the regiments---have you checked to see if any filed pensions? And you mentioned Ge. Sam. Armstrong, was he the general of one of the larger batallions?

ProfessorDru: this is all new to me and I don't yet know the names of any of the soldiers yet.

AYWalton: oh that's easy the Soldiers and Sailors system will provide names for you. are these Infantry regiments?

ProfessorDru: I don't know how large they were. He was the founder of Hampton University.

AYWalton: if so, then Footnote has many of them.

daviss: http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/

ProfessorDru: I'd like to find the names of some of these USCTs

AYWalton: the regiments with numbers from 1-55 are up on footnote and the Soldiers and Sailor system will give you their names. Footnote has their service records.

vkn: Searching for 1860 at no names bur geographically might provide leads dru

AYWalton: what are you seeking specifically ProfessorDru?

ProfessorDru: just to learn more about the names of the soldiers. I was reading an autobio of an ex slave who knew Armstrong after slavery I guess.

AYWalton: are you looking for a particular name or just any name from those regiments, ProfessorDru?

ProfessorDru: any name

AYWalton: what was the slave's name.

ProfessorDru: George Washington Fields

alt: speaking of Hampton ProfessorDru, I believe there is a lsiting of USCT buried at the Hampton Nat'l cemetery... that might be another source for you .. the burial site.

ProfessorDru: where are those uscts listed who are buried at the hpt cemetery?

AYWalton: I will get you some names.

Selma: Dru..when yo look at the Rations Lists...the women getting Rations list their husbands units

alt: I don't have a specific URL ProfessorDru... a google search on USCT @ Hampton Nat'l cemetery might get you started.

ProfessorDru: ok selma. I will look for that at the library this weekend ok alt

Selma: Julia Cropter..........Co. R. 35 Regt USCTroops.........2 tickets

alt: they are listed somehwere on Bennie' site.

ProfessorDru: ok, here's a site, http://www.lwfaaf.net/cem/va/hampton1.htm

daviss: later folks

alt: by loa1 lol

Selma: Is that gonna be her new name alt...cause you know I can only keep up with so many

AYWalton: no one called Fields buried there or at least on that p age.

alt: that page is just a sampling ProfessorDru. I understand there are in the neighborhood of 1,000 usct's buried in that area.

AYWalton: do you want a list of soldiers from those units, ProfessorDru?

ProfessorDru: Fields was not a soldier, just someone who knew Armstrong

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

ProfessorDru: yes, angela

Selma: You need to check and see if anybody living on the Wine Street served in the USCT Maybe mentions Fields in their pension record

alt: Selma, had to tease daviss, but she got away LOL

ProfessorDru: that's a thought Selma Hopefully the Freedman's Bureau records might indicate what other families were living on Wine Street.

Selma: Thats a thought..cause AY..said we should always check

AYWalton: ProfessorDru, there were 1628 soldiers in the 8th.

ProfessorDru: wow, are they listed online somewhere

AYWalton: specific ones you want or all of them?

Selma: I saw them all living in Wythe on the census Dru..in 1870 is that where Wine Street is?

ProfessorDru: According to the census, Selma. I found that info also. I don't think that Wine Street in considered to be in Wythe area today. wb angela

Selma: YOu know Joan Charles abstracted all the black folk in Hampton onthe 1870 census..sure the library has the book

AYWalton: thanks Dru.

ProfessorDru: ok Selma, I'll look for book this weekend.

AYWalton: Professor Dru there are 3 soldiers called Field/Fields in the 8th US Colored Infantry

ProfessorDru: What are the first names?

AYWalton: John Field, James Fields, John Fields.

Selma: Wow

ProfessorDru: wonder if this is our James Fields that Selma and I are researching?

AYWalton: AND you can get their military service records on Footnote. let me look at his service record.

ProfessorDru: I also believe James had a brother named John.

AYWalton: hold on second.

Selma: John was sold away wasn't he

ProfessorDru: I know that General Armstrong knew George and James Fields, but I wondered if hey may have met them before the end of the war. I don't remember Selma

vkn: yall stay good

alt: you too

AYWalton: hmm...........he was born in Kentucky looks like he was a substitute for someone.

Selma: JOhn is listed as #1 on George's list..not sure if its chronological

ProfessorDru: The names of Fields siblings are on the first few pages of the autobio in list of children, Selma?

AYWalton: ok this James Fields died in 1865. not your guy probably.

Selma: John, Louise, Matilda, Jams, Robert, Maria, William, Betty, Mary, Cahtherine, George W

ProfessorDru: what about the two John Fields?

AYWalton: ok checking on those right now.

ProfessorDru: thanks Selma; I didn't bring my copy with me.

AYWalton: Hmmm John Field:

ProfessorDru: John may have been the oldest. yes John Field or Fields

AYWalton: Born in NY, promoted to corporal, engaged at Olustee Florida (that was a major battle) Chapin's Farm VA, (that is New Market Heights) Petersburg and he was at Appomattox Courthouse for the surrender! he is an interesting man. that was FIELD (no "s")

ProfessorDru: thanks Angela.

AYWalton: oh the next guy----

ProfessorDru: ok

AYWalton: John FIELDS (with an "s")

ProfessorDru: yes John Field is quite interesting.

Selma: Oops

ProfessorDru: yep opps

AYWalton: system is acting weird.

ProfessorDru: hey alt

AYWalton: okok here is data on Fields:

alt: yes ma'am

ProfessorDru: Selma and I reading the autobio of a local former slave looking for possibilities for further research and a presentation. We're gluttons for punishment like either of us needs another project. LOL

Selma: Dru..do you the approximate dates of birth for all these children I looked up Bartlett..didn't see anyone in the area prior to 1870..

ProfessorDru: James in 1844; George, 1854. I have other info at home. ok

Selma: The one in 1870 is from Massachusetts

AYWalton: Also born in Rhode Island! Saw action at Deep Bottom, VA, Chapin's Farm, Darbytown VA,

alt: good ProfessorDru, that's is 'skill building', but you already knew that.

Selma: Maybe Union soldier who stayed

AYWalton: Hmm........this is different, he may have been a substitute for a free man of color! a Thomas O. Scudder (col'd) now that is interesting, too. No word of what happened to him, though.

Selma: Yes, it is.. LOL

ProfessorDru: thanks for looking angela; I am still interested in the regiments of Armstrong.

AYWalton: he may have surived. ok what do you mean by regiments of Armstrong?

Selma: Well folks i have to go... Have a great day

alt: laters

ProfessorDru: me too. Angela, I will call you in a minute.

AYWalton: just give me a call. ok.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy