Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-01-20 Lunch Bunch~Thursday

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:22
End: 13:23:36
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, ProfessorDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

daviss: hello 3rd!

3rdthawkins: hey daviss

daviss: how's it going?

3rdthawkins: good daviss. You know what, I was looking over an obit for my grandfather's youngest bro, and I discovered something that I forgot about. He was apart of the Masons also. He was the Worshipful Master of Excelsior for Mason Lodge #3 of Hartford, CT crazy

daviss: we sure do overlook some things dont we

3rdthawkins: yep, never paid attention to it cause I never knew what it was or cared for it hello alt

alt: hello 3rdthawkins & daviss, how are y'all today?

daviss: cared as in not knowing what it was or not cared because it was the Masons heyy alt! thanks for the email alt this morning. Debbie Abbott was sure thrilled I could tell

3rdthawkins: both daviss doing good alt

daviss: can I ask why 3rd especially about Masons

alt: yes she was daviss .... the sentence about volunteers & enjoying what he does is what AfriGeneas & genealogy is all about ... IMHO :)

daviss: you are the second person I heard say that in the last month IMHO also alt :)

alt: was the 2nd person you heard it form also a 'younger' person daviss? form=from

daviss: regarding the masons alt ?

alt: yes daviss

daviss: yes

alt: I ask because folks under 40 y/o or so aren't much into joining organizations like the Masons and even the college youngsters, many of them, are not joining fraternities & sororities in the numbers of the past. could be because of the decreasing numbers of our youth in HBCU's.

3rdthawkins: just don't care for it daviss

daviss: that could be true alt regarding frats and sorors no reason huh 3rd

3rdthawkins: I'm I doing something wrong daviss? am

alt: an din the years past it was organizations like the Masons , GUOOF and other benevolent organizations that were the 'backbone' of AA community/society. din=during

daviss: no, I just wanted to know your reason for not caring for it thats all. We all have our opinions I suppose

3rdthawkins: don't want to get into it really, was just letting you know what I noticed/discovered

daviss: no problem. I did get this other fella to tell me why he did not care for the Mason and I wondered if your reasoning was along his lines

AYWalton: good afternoon, all.

alt: hope vkn get in here today.... was gonna ask her if she thought it was a good idea to open the Afrigeneas Forum up to the public for sugesstions on what the updated Beginner's Guide might include.

AYWalton: hi 3rd

daviss: hello AYWalton!

alt: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: wll hey there alt, Ms. daviss!! hope you are all well.

alt: doing fine and you..

3rdthawkins: hello AY

daviss: doing good AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon all

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn, alt daviss AYWalton, 3rd lol where's vkn?

AYWalton: hey SoulChile! she is not here.

alt: vkn, I don't see vkn in my online listing

Seventies Soulchild: Any good genealogical news? Or news in general?

3rdthawkins: you got alt jumping now lol

Seventies Soulchild: sorry 'bout that alt. 3rd is the one saying hello to vkn who's not even in here... lol

daviss: alt do you happen to have the link to the site that has the symbols of benevolent organizations. I would like to see the one with the Woodmen's (AA)

alt: always sumpin 'new' & 'good' genealog-wise Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: :}

3rdthawkins: Nooooo, what's me wasn't Me

daviss: hi there seventies

alt: no, I don't daviss ... perhaps a google on "AA Benevolent Socieities" might be fruitful

Seventies Soulchild: Well I don't have anything to report today. just waiting waiting waiting.

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

AYWalton: Hey Ms. Selma!!!!

daviss: well now Selma! lol

Selma: Good Thursday afternoon everyone

alt: You ain't allowed in here today Selma LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Hi daviss. Hello Selma

Selma: I was suppose to go out alt...but waiting for someone.. lOL

alt: okay, in that case, pull up a chair and join us LOL

3rdthawkins: would like to know if anybody done in research in S.C. between 1880 and 1900 concerning immigrantion, Chinese immigration more specifically

alt: not me

Seventies Soulchild: no

daviss: nor I

Selma: nor I

3rdthawkins: darn! 1890 Census

Selma: There is quite a bit of literature on immigration from China to this country

alt: didn't AA Lives get a little into chinese immmigration when they were doing the thing on the astronaut Mae Jemison?

3rdthawkins: really?

Seventies Soulchild: So have you done any background general historical research on Chinese migration to SC? Or in general 3rd?

3rdthawkins: yes, googled some, seem like there were, just don't know where to look for records

Selma: Most that I have seen on building the RR's etc..

alt: and the Chines influence on the West Coast and in particular the Railroads out West and in the South.

3rdthawkins: a lot of Chinese seem to be in California, Hawaii early 1900s

alt: even earlier as far as the West coast, San Franciso area in particular.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes it would seem that would be the natural migratory pattern since China is much closer to CA and the panama canal wasn't opened up until the early 1900's

3rdthawkins: ahhh, ok, alwys wondered how they got to S.C.

Seventies Soulchild: I would presume that any chinese migration would've come over land.

3rdthawkins: to U.S. I should say

alt: In the materials I have on my 2nd ggfather who went to CA and found in the 1861 & 1868 Sacramento City directories and Census records ther are many, many Chinese listed.

Selma: Wasn't there a PBS or documentary done on Chinese in the South

Seventies Soulchild: So 3rd are you now looking for Chinese ancestry in your family?

alt: probably the same way AA's and other's got South & West, where ever Labor was required they found transportation for them.. Wagons, Rail. Waterways, etc.

3rdthawkins: yes, I think so Seventies, it has come up several times, but not sure who is Chinese,

Seventies Soulchild: ok

Selma: cheap labor atl...the same can be said for the Indians from India in the Carribbean

AYWalton: here is an article on Chinese in the American South:

alt: and there was a big travel route around the southern tip of south america in the early to mid 1800's.

AYWalton: http://kathmanduk2.wordpress.com/2008/01/10/somewhere-between-black-and-white-the-chinese-in-mississippi/

Seventies Soulchild: Yes Selma, I don't want to say the "C" word in here. And from what I heard the Chinese were no better. hello ProfessorDru

ProfessorDru: hey gang

3rdthawkins: ok, thx AY hello ProDru

alt: hello ProfDru

3rdthawkins: ahhh, seeming like it's bringing back to Mississippi also AyWalton

AYWalton: ProfessorDru is in da house!

daviss: hello ProDru

ProfessorDru: angela in a house!!!!!!!!!!!!

daviss: there she is

AYWalton: Greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daviss: hello vkn

vkn: Howdy to all

Seventies Soulchild: lol hey vkn

alt: nice tip on the free online courses ProfessorDru

ProfessorDru: hello vee thanks alt

alt: Hello vkn, how are ya today?

Selma: Thanks for the article AY..I think I saw something on TV to maybe relating to that article

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

Selma: Afternoon dru, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Ok I'm going to go find out what's going on around her for BHM. Talk to you all later.

ProfessorDru: Alt, did you see today's posting about free microsoft office tutorials?

vkn: partly cloudy alt lol lol

AYWalton: which article, Selma?

Selma: Chinese in Mississippi

AYWalton: oh you mean on the link, ok. you are welcome.

alt: not today ProfessorDru, but you rpost form the other day looked interesting

ProfessorDru: ok, also check out today's posting. http://findyourfolks.blogspot.com/2011/01/free-microsoft-office-software-training.html

alt: I'm not not much, if any presenting lately, but the PP courses looked interesting ProfessorDru

Selma: Hey alt..did you do your acting job yet..

ProfessorDru: Yeah, Daddy Alt, how did it go?

alt: yep, Monday for MLK Day celebration.

daviss: alt you were going to ask vkn about the Forum posting

alt: went well, had about 300 in attendence.

vkn: which one

ProfessorDru: that's great alt

alt: okay daviss thanks

vkn: 300!!!!!!!!

ProfessorDru: alt, you stole the show, uh? lol lol

alt: vkn, wondering about posting to the AfriGeneas Forum for general public comments/suggestions for the Beginners' Guide upgrade.... any thoughts from you?

vkn: Great idea alt

alt: more minds involved doesn't hurt, but can sometimes muddy the waters.

vkn: But even that will help sort out the mud so idea is a great one

alt: something as simple as how to write for help.. to people, organizations, institutions, etc... most of the older beginner's books had such a section... the BG could incorporate those concepts into email, and the modern means of communicationg .. for eaxample.

vkn: yes so many request go unheeded due to ineffective communication

3rdthawkins: so Lum is a Chinese Name.....hmmm

alt: maybe, maybe not 3rdthawkins

vkn: Also researchers need to understand that staff in courthouses are not there to do genealogy

3rdthawkins: no alt, in the article, a Chinese woman with the last name Lum

alt: exactly vkn

3rdthawkins: Lum is the same as the Chinese name Li

alt: are all Lum's chinese. that's what I'm asking 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: don't think so alt

alt: or even excuse the expression "oreintal"

daviss: vkn the kidnapped baby from 27 yrs ago was from Atlanta

Selma: asian alt

AYWalton: there must be 2 stories.

alt: Oriental... I"m told that isn't PC... it now refers to 'rugs" LOL

vkn: Yes daviss big news today

Selma: As a former co-worker said (he is Chinese)..Oriental's are rugs

AYWalton: I just read about a baby kidnapped from Harlem hospital who grew up in Connecticut and she is 23. and African American.

daviss: It was just on MSNBC

vkn: lol selma is too too funny

daviss: I thought they said she was now living in Atlanta AY

vkn: AYWalton same story

AYWalton: ahhh she might be living in Atlanta now, I am not sure.

daviss: or is that where the center is

alt: right Selma, that's what I was told... Asian, or something, but never Oriental if you want to be PC.

ProfessorDru: angela, that story was on this morning's news. gotta run

daviss: what about Lumbee could they have shortened that pround heritage though proud

AYWalton: I think the term Lumbee comes from the region in Roberson County NC, near the Lumberton River.

vkn: More than two decades ago, a newborn sick with fever was snatched from a New York City hospital, her frantic mother returning to the emergency room to find an empty crib. On Wednesday, police said the baby — now a woman living in Atlanta — has been found

3rdthawkins: good article, thanks AYWalton, shed some light

AYWalton: ahhh yes, she did live in Atlanta. glad she found her family.

vkn: Born NY Lived CT Living Atlanta

AYWalton: she resembles her relatives as well. I saw a clip online a few moments ago.

vkn: A wonderful story

daviss: I am too AYWalton. That gave me a glimmer of hope regarding my x..

AYWalton: oh really daviss?

daviss: my x natural parents I mean Those cards were not out that far back though

AYWalton: I see.

daviss: just a feeling I have had for yrs AYWalton

AYWalton: sounds like an interesting story, daviss.

daviss: and quite frankly the reason I am now into research

Selma: Interesting the different reasons we started research

daviss: thats for sure Selma!

alt: Horace-Charles post is an interesting twist... An African born person looking for roots in America, rather than vice-versa.

vkn: Caller re ESSENCE this morning had LOTS of noise in background. I kept asking her to please repeat Finally she said Can I call you back I am in the social service office and they just called my number. I am still laughing

Selma: LOL What is the surname alt..on Horace Charles

daviss: boy vkn! your phone may really ring off the hook

alt: the far reaching tentacles of a well written and presented genealogy article LOL not sure, but doesn't read that way Selma.. Horce & chalres appear to be surnames

vkn: I too found that one interesting alt

AYWalton: where was that query, alt?

alt: and it mentions Culpeper Co., Va as the American roots before the ancestors went to Liberia Selma

AYWalton: or the query from Horace Charles?

vkn: They are Liberians AYWalton

Selma: I was just looking at Boggers book...thats why I asked, he has list of folks who left from Norfolk VA

daviss: in the body it stated Charles-Horace branch

Selma: I have another book here somewhere..

3rdthawkins: daviss, I do consider those kind of names, like Lumpkin when I see it, never know

alt: the poster may be in luck... quite a bit of documentation on the ACS and those families who went to Liberia.

daviss: Does that book also say Boggess Selma

Selma: Boggess? The author is Dr. Tommy L. Bogger Gott run

daviss: ok I misunderstood lol looking for Boggess

AYWalton: I too have to go. Have a great day everyone.

alt: darn what's up folks skedaddling LOL

vkn: alt maybe invite peeps to chat re BG

3rdthawkins: oops

Seventies Soulchild: lol hey y'all

3rdthawkins: wb

daviss: wb seventies

vkn: heyyyyyy seventies

alt: that is an idea worth looking into vkn.... folsk are into chat, text's. tweets, Facebook, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: yes I'm still not a big fan of tweeting though

alt: old fashinoned me.. I'm not into any of it Seventies Soulchild... LOL ust now getting the 'hang' of FaceBook.

Seventies Soulchild: lol I see alt. I tell you when I saw your update last month I was shocked! lol

3rdthawkins: wb

Seventies Soulchild: wb daviss

alt: something about 'old dogs' & 'new tricks' LOL

daviss: I hit the wrong button

Seventies Soulchild: :}

daviss: did you get anything on Black History Month Seventies for the folks on your job

Seventies Soulchild: that was for both alt and daviss... lol

alt: 3rdthawkins, when you write/call institutions do you have somewhat of a standard request form?

Seventies Soulchild: daviss, they are just now working on the calendar... no comment. . .

3rdthawkins: no alt

daviss: they din't ask you for input

Seventies Soulchild: lol no.

daviss: their loss

3rdthawkins: some have request forms alt to write in, not all

Seventies Soulchild: they have groups here that take of all that. So I just wanted to know what they were having so I could bring the kids to the events.

daviss: oic

alt: I wonder 3rdthawkins, like it was mentioned earlier there are sections in most Beginner's Guide's on how to write an effective request for help to individuals/groups mentioned.

Seventies Soulchild: Our MLK luncheon was cancelled due to the snow.. that was a bummer.

3rdthawkins: ahh, I see where you are going alt, I had the same idea in mind also, wouldn't hurt to have a request sheet to fill in and push submit

daviss: guess i will go for real now have a good day

Seventies Soulchild: :} ok have a good day daviss I'm about done here too. y'all have a good afternoon. Stay warm alt & 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: not sure if that's what you meant

vkn: also alt sometimes the requests tell too much of the family story.

alt: it is 3rdthawkins, let folks know a request for all you have on xyz won't get it when requesting help, but the is a procedure/method to asking for hlep exactly vkn

vkn: o just give the what is needed

alt: and don't tell me all of what you already know... just ask for what you want 'speciifcally'.

3rdthawkins: right alt

alt: and you write the request differently depending on the who & what you're asking for... this is something I think a beginner should know.

3rdthawkins: yep, I agree

vkn: So glad yall will be reworking the Guide

alt: and the simple matter of including a self addressed stamped envelope if you expect to recieve a written response.

vkn: Gotta run and break fast

3rdthawkins: ok vkn

alt: OOps. too late

3rdthawkins: ran her away with too many ideas, lol

alt: I'll turn out the lights 3rdthawkins Laters LOL

3rdthawkins: ok alt

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy