Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-01-19 LunchBunch Wednesday

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:59:26
End: 13:12:59
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: hey alt, 3rd

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies and alt

alt: hello 3rdthawkins, Seventies Soulchild how y'all doing

Seventies Soulchild: sick of snow.

alt: i hear ya Seventies Soulchild

3rdthawkins: doing good alt

Seventies Soulchild: even my children are sick of snow. lol

alt: days off, gotta be careful what you ask for.

Seventies Soulchild: Well I'm not asking for too many more days off. . . lol Except for this summer when I go on vacay to MS! So I'm going to try to be in the vicinity for the CW 150 event in Natchez.

alt: wonderful

Seventies Soulchild: I'm very excited about the events and the family reunion.

alt: can imagine you are

Seventies Soulchild: I'm hoping to forge a 'working' relationship with Ser Boxley so I can get my family's information made more public so I can get that Rounds Family Reunion together. taking baby steps with that. :)

alt: good luck with Boxley :)

Seventies Soulchild: From what I know about him, I'm pretty confident that the working relationship should be ok. We'll see. . .

alt: remember his 'forte' is CW & Slavery, not so much genealogy.

Seventies Soulchild: gotcha alt.

3rdthawkins: hello daviss

Seventies Soulchild: hey daviss... finished watering your lawn??? lol

daviss: hello 3rd alt and seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

alt: hello vkn

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

daviss: thats why I am late seventies, I had to change from my sun suit lol

Seventies Soulchild: rub it in :|

vkn: Howdy seventies 3rd alt daviss and all of us

daviss: hello therre vkn!

vkn: Hubba hubba daviss lol

daviss: lol I am on the phone with Ancestry.... grrrrrrrr

alt: what's the problem daviss

daviss: brb

Seventies Soulchild: yes its your turn for trouble with ancestry. . . :} They don't like you daviss. . .lol vkn, I've been kind of browsing the boards for ESS . . . haven't seen any just yet. How's it coming?

vkn: oops not liking me either seventies

Seventies Soulchild: uh oh. . .

vkn: seventies see the post saying "Back to Africa" that is the first posted

Seventies Soulchild: I wanted to make quick suggestion to you earlier this week about the calls. Maybe you could give a quick phone questionnaire, 5 questions. Because of the numbe of calls you are getting. I'm looking now.

vkn: Good suggestion. Right now they are going to voice mail/ID and I am returning calls

daviss: ok back.. sorry

vkn: On surnames seventies

daviss: are you talking about that Horace post vkn?

Seventies Soulchild: Basic questions would be what is the surname, what is the state/region, what years? that's all I've got

alt: you are sending them to AfriGeneas, right vkn?

vkn: yes daviss

Seventies Soulchild: This way it would keep focus. And of course contact information for the person making the request.

vkn: yes alt Good point seventies

alt: my thoughts... it isn't so much of who they are researching and where, but the process(es) they are using. and how their recordkeeping... paper, computer, etc. I like the post on AfriGeneas suggesting folks bookmark the 'site map' vkn.

vkn: So many just want to to talk, have no idea on where to start so I have just shut down answering the phone if caller is not recognized

Seventies Soulchild: Well all I'm saying is if we're going to assist these people, we need specific info. And yes vkn so many just want to talk. . . lol Been there done that!

alt: I can understabd that vkn... nothing turns you off quicker than when they immediately start getting into the grandma, uncle johnny, etc.

vkn: true

Seventies Soulchild: thus the specific questionnaire.

alt: you understand, but you really can't help them in their immediate areas of research, but you can tell them what to look for and where and how to go about recording their findings

Seventies Soulchild: Is there anyway that you can 'sticky' that beginners guide to the surnames forum? Sticky it as in make it a message that always appears first in the threads?

daviss: vkn do you have more than one line on tele

vkn: only one line daviss

Seventies Soulchild: brb

vkn: Sticky sounds interesting seventies. There is a link to Guide in explanation of surnames forum

daviss: I was going to say if you have another line do like they do at the bank. ' If you are calling about research press 1" and then send them to AfriGeneas

3rdthawkins: use alt's voice for the record :} recording

vkn: alt that is why the ess in the subject line so yall will know that you are starting with a minus 1

alt: Just noticed.. we no longer have a Beginner's Forum do we?

vkn: No alt what was Beginners we changed to Surnames

alt: we have 'Brick Wall" which folks seldom use... and they hated being calling 'newbies". but IMHO there needs to be a place/forum for those just starting.

daviss: I must still be on the back of the turnip truck. What ESS

alt: Essence magazine

daviss: and what is minus 1

alt: I think she means 'jump street' LOL

vkn: lol jump street is right

3rdthawkins: what is the Junior Forum all about alt and vkn?

vkn: Youth

daviss: teens 3rd

alt: kids like you 3rdthawkins LOL

3rdthawkins: oh, ok, that's what I was figuring, wasn't sure lol at alt Beginner's Forum may not be bad

vkn: alt you be hilarious. gonna be yo agent when you go on TV

Seventies Soulchild: ok back

alt: vkn, I think you're taking the right appraoch for AfriGeneas to be pro-active with the 'newly interested' it is a matter of asking/telling/showing them there is a process to follow, you just don't 'jump' in without knowing how to swim.

3rdthawkins: good that vkn is "coding" the messages to let us know.......but wish there was some way a person can select whether they are beginner intermediate seasonal, advanced, whatever, in the message post

vkn: 3rdthawkins we have been there and done that for about ten years before changing. No one wanted to be identified as a Newbie

Seventies Soulchild: vkn maybe its because I spend so much time online on message boards, it took me awhile to read that paragraph on the surnames forum. I jumped right into the forum

alt: exactly vkn..

3rdthawkins: I see,

Seventies Soulchild: Hey I find that if you tell someone you're a newbie they are more willing to help you with your research. There is no shame in being 'new'.

3rdthawkins: that's what I was thinking SS I think people are more apt to help, just dont' want anyone to be afraid to say they are new, for whatevereason

vkn: Seventies Soulchild mixed returns on that one seventies 3rd

alt: if someone post 'looking for xyz' it doesn't really help them to show records we've found for xyz... I think we could 'send' them to sources for the records and let them enjoy the 'discovery' of their people, just an opinion.

Seventies Soulchild: but the researchers have to be open to accept help as well.

vkn: Now that is sooooo true seventies

alt: how many folks have been told that they need to think out the box on surnames and not get locked into spelling.

3rdthawkins: you could vkn enoucrage them, let them know that explaining if they are new or not can determine the help that they get, IDK, just a though thought

alt: lately the meshaw, micheaux, meshow is a great example...

vkn: alt in part why we are highlighting articles in library and hopefully can use chat platform increasingly

Seventies Soulchild: True alt.

alt: I noticed that vkn.. great concept.... the strength of AfriGeneas is 'content' and the ability to search years of postings.... most of the newer posts have been asked and answered over and over again.

vkn: 3rdthawkins thanx

alt: wonder how many folks even use the search feature on the individual forums?

3rdthawkins: ;) yw vkn

Seventies Soulchild: regarding the Horace Family inquiry, do we have anyone here on the board that specializes in the colonization Liberia movement? I've only been able to reference one piece on that. I love search. Saves time alt

daviss: I can only speak for myself alt because I use it all the time

Seventies Soulchild: As well as the Recent Posts feature

3rdthawkins: every now and then

vkn: probaly more on the mailing list seventies

alt: there has been much discussion on the Amercian Colonization Society & Liberia Seventies Soulchild

3rdthawkins: I used Recent Posts at one point, but the problem is you click in the middle of a discussion instead of the beginning, so I try to go to the actual forum but not to say it isn't good, it's good for some, everyone has what works for them

daviss: you can go to the beginning 3rd

vkn: But the entire thread is displayed 3rd

3rdthawkins: oh, ok

alt: right 3rdthawkins .. and Recent Posts takes you to a 'thread' you have to determine for yourself how much of that thread you want to get into.

3rdthawkins: hello AY

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

alt: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: hi 3rd

vkn: Then the reader can change the subject in any thresd

AYWalton: greetings alt, daviss, SoulChile. Greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daviss: The beginning of the post has a little symbol in front

vkn: Heyyyyyyy AYW!!!!!!!!

daviss: Hello AYWalton!

Seventies Soulchild: hey AYWalton

3rdthawkins: ok, that's a good note daviss

Seventies Soulchild: So what's good with you today AYWalton?

AYWalton: busy as usual, SoulChile, and you?

Seventies Soulchild: snowed in. But spent a day trying to get additional info on the Galmore/Galimore/Gallimore families

alt: exactly vkn, that' where I'm saying we can only 'direct' to a degree, user must learn the process and the 'tools' to be successful... don't know if AfriGeneas can do that...

Seventies Soulchild: I've noticed a lot of them came from northern MS & TN black and whites Still trying to find out how mine came to be in southern MS :}

alt: folks just don't want to read anymore...

Seventies Soulchild: no they do not. Internet got us this way..

vkn: Gotta make breakfast yall. Back atcha later. Thanx for offer of the help with Guide alt Back in touch asap. and yes we must remain awre of strengths and limitations. A dynamic balancing act lol but y'all be doing it !!!!!! Each one;Teach one

Seventies Soulchild: breakfast??? Its 1 pm!

daviss: speaking of reading. I got the book I have been wanting for years in the mail yesterday. A Southern Community In Crisis : Harrison County Texas 1850-1880" .. I had been getting it InterLibrary Loan .Now I have it in my Library

alt: breakfast = first meal of the day Seventies Soulchild LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Well when I'm off I do the same thing! lol

alt: wonderful daviss, how did you acquire it?

Seventies Soulchild: You know that's what I need to do today go visit my library for ILL... I would probably get ahead in my research... :}

daviss: I had been looking for it for years and out of print

Seventies Soulchild: did you get it through amazon?

daviss: got it on Able I have not used amazon

alt: both are great sources for out of print and rare books

Seventies Soulchild: I guess since I've made a committment to allocate this winter for research and with all these doggone snow days, I need to get on the ball here.

daviss: you mean get on the "snow ball" lol

Seventies Soulchild: Oh by the way, I talked to my Uncle Elijah Washington's eldest daughter over the weekend. I was so excited! lol you've got jokes today Ms. daviss. . . lol

alt: there always more to do than what we have time for Seventies Soulchild, unfortunaltely

daviss: I know, I can't do nothing else seventies How old is the daughter seventies

Seventies Soulchild: BTW, lol you know you have xerascaping and no real grass! lol

daviss: lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: I just introduced myself and told her what I was doing. She is very interested in the family history since her father died when she was young. I'm not quite sure of her age. I would imagine that she's in her 80's. She sounds really great for an older person. voice is still strong. This is the branch of the family that moved from MS to ARK to Indiana.

daviss: thats good

alt: that great Seventies Soulchild ... like Bill Withers says "use her until she is all used up" LOL

daviss: wonder if she can send you pics

Seventies Soulchild: Oh I will alt! :} She has no photos of her father, I did ask about that.

daviss: awwwww

Seventies Soulchild: So I think the next time we speak, I will give her the rundown of Roxie Earls family. I hope that she will be happy about that.

alt: do you have the family genealogy on your computer Seventies Soulchild?

daviss: mabe you can send her a family sheet

Seventies Soulchild: From what she conveyed to me, she didn't know much about the Mississippi roots. Yes on Rootsmagic

alt: my thoughts exactly daviss, maybe aeven a genealogical narrative.

daviss: right alt! I bet she would be thrilled

Seventies Soulchild: Well I don't have her mailing address, but I did leave my telephone number and mailing address for her to contact me at any time.

alt: oh Roots magic is the ticket... a narrative on the descendants of Roxie Earls as you have then on your computer,,,

daviss: seventies you do the contact.. older people really prefer that

Seventies Soulchild: Roxie Earls had a lot of descendants. But there is one thing that I've been mulling through in my mind. The mystery of Millie Earls... Oh absolutely.

daviss: call her often

Seventies Soulchild: Thank you daviss.

alt: and I hope you're adding photos (head shots) of those you have to their 'file' Seventies Soulchild

daviss: :?

alt: maybe the narrative can help her to help you solve the Millie Earls mystery.

daviss: seems like the more I hear you all, I need to get Roots majic j should be g

alt: YOu can probably do the same things with FTm daviss, but IMHO Roots Magic does so much more and better.

daviss: oh ok thx

Seventies Soulchild: Well Millie Earls was supposed to be my great grandfathers cousin, BUT there is a millie Earls born to their mother. So I think that after the mother's death she was raised by her father's family I'm trying to figure out how to prove this. That's the mystery

daviss: running lol

alt: laters daviss

Seventies Soulchild: lol don't hurt yourself lol ok my good people I have over a weeks worth of work to do. . . and I should've had a cup of coffee this morning lol have a great day all

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy