Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-01-17 LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:00:54
End: 13:28:34
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, jhonora, ProfessorDru, Selma, seventies soulchild, vkn

3rdthawkins: hello daviss

daviss: hello 3rd! Happy holiday to you

3rdthawkins: ty

daviss: I am trying to adjust the sound again

3rdthawkins: research is great when you make good discoveries, just made another one, help make my point why we should keep records we find that may or may not be relevant and we are not sure, because we may find something else that helps in the discovery daviss daviss

daviss: sheesh, nada

3rdthawkins: daviss do you have headphones connected?

daviss: I guess it has went Kaput! no, no headphones good for you on discovery! what did you find this time?

3rdthawkins: ok, yeah, must need new ones, I know my speakers has an shortage in the cord, so have to twirl it around and angle the microphone for it to work death information for my grandfather's oldest brother/sibling. Had some help in looking for it.

daviss: thank GOD for help!

3rdthawkins: I had previously, a few months ago, found military record for someone I thought was him, seem to match but wasn't sure I got more info from my gf's cousin about his death, so when I had someone help look for it, they have found more military info for him and when and where he died. The middle initial for the one I found threw me off, and the middle name for the person the helper found threw me off because I knew the baptism name. But then I thought, and remember the record I Had found, and saw that the middle initial and middle name was a match, the name explained what the initial stood for. So matched the two hello seventies

seventies soulchild: Good morning daviss, 3rd Happy MLK day! :)

daviss: heyyy seventies..Happy MLK day to you

seventies soulchild: And I'm not Debarged! lol lol lol

daviss: lol @ seventies

seventies soulchild: I finally got in touch with Ser Boxley.... whew! So if all goes well I'll be able to meet up with him just before the CW event this sumer Summer

daviss: so should I spank my two fingers then :?

seventies soulchild: I'm really looking forward to doing some things with the genealogy this year. Hopefully it will work out.

daviss: good news then 3rd especially for keeping info to tie the two together

seventies soulchild: congrats 3rd

3rdthawkins: hello Ingrid_Doweary

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey 3rd, Daviss and Seventies. How goes it.

seventies soulchild: Hello Ingrdi_Doweary

3rdthawkins: ty

seventies soulchild: great.

daviss: good for you seventies. I hope you will also. You never know what will pan out hi Ingrid!

seventies soulchild: Yes, I found out he went to school with my aunts and mom...

daviss: how you doing on this MLK Day Ingrid?

seventies soulchild: As funny as it may sound, I didn't even know he was from Natchez! He is VERY different from those black people.

daviss: oh really seventies!! how awesome those black people seventies lol

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm okay. How are you Daviss since the recent tragedy in Arizona. ?

seventies soulchild: Believe me that's my NY talking... lol

daviss: we are doing a little better Ingrid, thank you

3rdthawkins: I'm thinking about MLKJr day and Black History Month, and thinking about my great grandmother Ella Sanders Hawkins who was a school teacher, and how just about all her children grew up, went to college, and actually made something of their lives. I heard that they were very smart, one opened up her own law firm would like to research her more, don't know how, as a school teacher

Ingrid_Doweary: Happy to hear of your progress in the genealogy journey, 3rd.

seventies soulchild: Oh before I forget, here are some articles Mr. McRae posted on facebook. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/22/fear-and-doubt-in-cleveland/

3rdthawkins: ty Ingrid

daviss: gracias seventies

Ingrid_Doweary: Sounds like great material for a history blog, 3rd. Thank you for the link Seventies.

3rdthawkins: this was my grandfather's amibition also, to become something in this world and for his children, passing for white was the only way He knew how to do it. Don't wanna make an excuse for him, but it makes me think of their upbringing, and what may have gone into my grandmother's mind about raising and teaching young AA children

daviss: did you Ella go to a HBC 3rd you = your

3rdthawkins: not to pass, but to be something and do something, be educated..........maybe taught in one daviss. I think she went to Catholic School a lot of research to do, as you can see

daviss: I see mabe she also taught in a Catholic school or did she have to be a nun to teach

3rdthawkins: she was even instrumental in raising my grandmother and grandmother's siblings, after an absuive experience at the hand of a white woman, she brought them back to health, my grandmother even went on to business school and then worked for the government I checked daviss, they could not find anything, apparently

seventies soulchild: Here is another. http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/new-york-doesnt-care-to-remember-the-civil-war/?ref=todayspaper%2Fsrc%3Dfbcivilwar

daviss: yes you can see a lot of parental raisings among families back in the day. They took care of each other no matter how poor or well off they were

3rdthawkins: I was told she was a teacher in Saint Stephen, where my great grandfather was from, I'm suspecting that's where and how they met

daviss: gracias again seventies was St S in SC 3rd

3rdthawkins: yes daviss, Berkeley Co.

daviss: ok seventies, mabe Boxley may have an old yearbook with your moms picture

seventies soulchild: My mom has her class photo from hs grad and Jr high grad.....

daviss: ahhhh! thats good what yr did she graduate HS

seventies soulchild: One of my mom's classmates sent her a photo of jr high graduation. It was at Mt. Olive BC in Sibley, MS

Ingrid_Doweary: That is good!

seventies soulchild: 196. . . hold on let me look lol

daviss: lol k Ingrid what about your parents, where are they from

Ingrid_Doweary: BC, Baptist convenion, 70s?

daviss: prolly Baptist Church Ingrid

seventies soulchild: Baptist Church

Ingrid_Doweary: My parents are from Lee County and Ouachita County, Arkansas. They both graduated from what is npw UAPB.

seventies soulchild: 1961. . . I think... lol

Ingrid_Doweary: npw=now

daviss: uh oh seventies, you better find her info lol

seventies soulchild: I have it on my slides here on the laptop.

Ingrid_Doweary: UAPB fmrly Arkansas Agricultural, Mechanical and Normal College.

seventies soulchild: I know she graduated alcorn in 1965 Ok Ingrid and all you other migration babies. I heard that there are a lot of folks from ARK who migrated to Indiana. . .

Ingrid_Doweary: UAPB-University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. Dr. King, Jr. was their commencement speaker -1957.

daviss: most of my older paternal uncles and aunts went to school and were taught by my grandfather at Little Flock Baptist Church in the country That was before a Black School was built

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh yes. I've got plenty of kinfolk who migrated to Gary from Arkansas.

seventies soulchild: My mom's school Sadie V. Thompson was all black. Don't know what the last graduating year was though.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hughes Family Clan with the Nelson and Allen surnames.

seventies soulchild: Ok because I have another set of folks from my great-great uncle who apparently left MS, moved to Ark side of the delta then went to Indianapolis I would really like to contact them so I can get history on their father/grandfather.

3rdthawkins: hello PDru

seventies soulchild: Hey ProfessorDru

ProfessorDru: howdy gang

daviss: hello ProDru. Happy MLK Day to you

ProfessorDru: to you too

daviss: have you looked for them at all seventies

seventies soulchild: Well, I don't know them, but my uncle who lives in Chicago does. He is the one who I could only find the WWI draft card on and nothing else.

daviss: get their number from him and give them a call

seventies soulchild: Elijah/Elisha Washington

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh also Seventies, the Hughes began in MS migrated to Arkansas and then to Industrial locations such as Chicago, Gary, Toledo, Minneapolis, etc. Hey ProfDru. Go for Seventies. Contact them.

daviss: ProDru, I just love your profile pic on FB

3rdthawkins: hello jhonora

daviss: jhonora heyyy!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Jhonora!

seventies soulchild: ah okay Ingrid...

jhonora: Hello daviss, 3rdthawkins, Ingrid, ProfDru, seventies

seventies soulchild: So many of my relatives left the south, its just hard to keep up with them.

Ingrid_Doweary: By the way a greeting with ! for everyone today.

ProfessorDru: Thanks Vicky. I got the idea from Mel Collier who has a profile photo of one of his ancestors.

seventies soulchild: Thank goodness for the people who stayed behind.

ProfessorDru: hello jhonora

seventies soulchild: hi jhonora I see that Melvin does that a lot. I haven't done it yet, though

Ingrid_Doweary: Communicating with their descendents should be interesting. I learned 2 years ago, I have a Linton cousin in nearby Alexandria, VA. He's in the military and we communication via phone, facebook and e-mail now.

daviss: I have put mine on from time to time, especially when their BD rolls around

ProfessorDru: Soulchile, I love your lips profile photo. LOL

seventies soulchild: lol Dru.. I had to take that one down, I was getting too many comments! lol

jhonora: Seventies, I have one family that has been apart (North & South) since 1904 and yet still act like they're right up the street from each other!

seventies soulchild: That's great jhonora

Ingrid_Doweary: There it is Daviss. I try to remember to contact most of my nearby relatives monthly. Isn't that something, Jhonora?

seventies soulchild: Hello Selma

ProfessorDru: I did a presentation on social media including facebook. You had the lips photos up at that time and I think eyebrows were raised when that photo displayed on the screen. BTW, the presentation was a a minister's conference. LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Selma!

jhonora: It is, Ingrid. They are in Wisconsin, Illinois, and La.

ProfessorDru: Howdy Selma

daviss: I also do that on Memorial Day

Selma: Afternoon everyone

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

seventies soulchild: OH GOD!!!

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah, that's my mom and her sisters in Alaska and Wisconsin.

daviss: heyy Selma! lol lol @ seventies

jhonora: Hey Selma

daviss: seventies, those ministers had lips

Ingrid_Doweary: It's all good, Seventies :)

Selma: LOL

ProfessorDru: I think you had poke me that day, Soulchile. lol

daviss: lol lol

seventies soulchild: oops that picture just disappared from my profile....

Selma: You can't take it down till I see it seventies

seventies soulchild: *cough* onto CW 150

ProfessorDru: lol soulchile Have any of your states starting progrms to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Civil War?

seventies soulchild: Yes so I was just corresponding with Ser Boxley on FB and I think I'm going to try to see him while in Natchez this summer NY state is not having a celebration...

daviss: so how are going to blog about the CW, especially since it will expand several yrs

jhonora: Really, seventies?

ProfessorDru: who are you asking vicky?

seventies soulchild: Yes, http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/new-york-doesnt-care-to-remember-the-civil-war/?ref=todayspaper%2Fsrc%3Dfbcivilwar

daviss: you or/and seventies

ProfessorDru: any reason why soulchile?

seventies soulchild: I'm not sure daviss. Not sure how to approach the subject in regards to the info I have on my relatives.

jhonora: We are focused down here on our state bic. (1812). Gen. Honore is the chairman of the state commission.

seventies soulchild: The state just didn't provide any funding. see the link.

daviss: I doubt if AZ has anything since we only came into being in 1914

seventies soulchild: I know that one of the USCT orgs has stepped up to the plate to start events. You never know daviss with all the confeds out there... lol

daviss: lol I hear ys seventies

seventies soulchild: Sorry I couldn't resist. . . slapping my own hand lol

daviss: no need seventies lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Daviss I saw a great documentary on "how the states got their shapes" on the history channel, Saturday. You may appreciate this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX8diMPYnTs

daviss: gracias Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: wb Jhonora :) Da Nada, Daviss.

seventies soulchild: I tell you its funny, when I initially started my research I was not expecting any military service at all. Now I've discovered 4 USCT soldiers and a possible 5th

ProfessorDru: that's great soulchile

Ingrid_Doweary: Great Seventies! Sounds like you hit a gold mine in your heritage.

seventies soulchild: I also wasn't expecting FPOCs either and I have an entire line of FPOCs

daviss: that is so wonderful seventies

ProfessorDru: I didn't even know what a FPOC was when I discovered two lines in my family.

seventies soulchild: Its really made me rethink some of the things I've read about AAs in history. Even some of the best historian books

Ingrid_Doweary: Congratulations on your multiple success there, Seventies :}

seventies soulchild: Thanks Ingrid! That's great ProfDru

daviss: enough reason to read and learn read and learn

seventies soulchild: Your FPOCs were from VA right?

Ingrid_Doweary: That is a wonderful revelation to hear a fellow researcher.

ProfessorDru: one line from VA and one line from NC. one each on both sides of family

seventies soulchild: See my FPOCs were in Alabama... and that is a shocker to me.

Ingrid_Doweary: Correction-fellow researcher(s).

ProfessorDru: With one line, I was looking for a possible slave owner by doing a surname search of the 1850 and 1860 censuses. I found my ancestors instead.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm getting a lot of outside distraction so my research time has been limited.

seventies soulchild: Everything is going ok Ingrid?

jhonora: I had similar experience dru with my FPOC Amirati

daviss: Selma, do you research your lines

Selma: Yes, My maternal...

daviss: Is that the one from haiti

Selma: I don't have anyone in my family from Haiti that I know of

seventies soulchild: Sounds Italian. . . Amirati. Tell more jhonora

Selma: Grenada

daviss: oh ok

Ingrid_Doweary: My job is overextending the employees, it's difficult to read while travelling in nosy public transportation and the homefront is undergoing som electrical challenges.

daviss: ohhhhh Grenada. Have you had much success?

Selma: Early baptismal records ...

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh that is interesting, Selma.

jhonora: Yes, seventies. Jean Baptiste Amirati was son of Italian and Cajun. He had nearly half dozen children with Marie Elizabeth Babin, fwc.

daviss: very good

seventies soulchild: okay

daviss: Come to think of it, in all my years I have not met anyone from Granada. which is odd for a military brat

seventies soulchild: My cousins wife was from Grenada. . . I see lots of black folk from Guyana. Everywhere. But they are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. and the room gets quiet. . .

daviss: Ariz is not necessarily a big melting pot

seventies soulchild: what a shocker!!! lol

daviss: lots of people here are from the Cayman s though

seventies soulchild: Oh really?

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh yeah, Daviss?

Selma: Cayman Islands daviss?

daviss: yes

Selma: Umm

jhonora: Many Haitians here ... with names in common.

Ingrid_Doweary: Seventies, my daughters' had a middle school teacher from Guyanna. She was a excellent educator and well credentialed.

daviss: Ebanks

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

vkn: Heyyyyyyyyyy yall

daviss: hello lady in the green dress

ProfessorDru: hey vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: You just made me think of a character in the movie, The Firm. Hey Vkn!

Selma: Afternoon vkn

jhonora: Hello vkn!

seventies soulchild: I had a college english teacher who was from St. Kitts and she was awesome

ProfessorDru: gotta run

seventies soulchild: hello vkn bye profdru

vkn: Glad to see all yallums

daviss: take care prodru

Ingrid_Doweary: Daviss the film reference was for you re: the name-Ebanks.

daviss: ahhhh ok Ingrid. i did not see the movie

vkn: serviceful KING Day

daviss: The last movie I went to see was Ice Age 2

vkn: 113 year old Black female died on Friday Sweetie Winn of MS

daviss: lots of years vkn

seventies soulchild: I read that vkn. She looked absolutely fabulous!

vkn: lots and lots

seventies soulchild: And she was still independent at the age of 102, driving and all.

vkn: she did seventies soulchild

daviss: as I tend to always say, there sure were a lot of blessings

seventies soulchild: Yes she was in Shreveport, LA Caddo Parish

vkn: jhonora you prob is being fixed

daviss: Shreveport oh wow

jhonora: Thanks vkn

vkn: just finishing class where we shared Derek Nicholas DVD

Ingrid_Doweary: Thank you Vkn for sharing her history.

vkn: well 15 minutes of it anyway yw Ingrid_Doweary

daviss: hmmmmm how many in your class now vkn

vkn: The DVD is well done 4 hours long about 30 daviss

Selma: Good size vkn

daviss: growing and growing vkn. btw they started up the BFHG up again on this past Sat. It has been down since Beckfords days

vkn: lol more than me can handle daviss lol each knows it all lol lol lol

daviss: lol

vkn: very good beckford worked hard at it may he RIP

daviss: I said I just may re-up lol

Selma: Have to run folks..have a great day.

vkn: They enjoyed the derek presentation He creates the term RBS related by slavery

daviss: 4 hrs vkn. Is that all his line? or lines

vkn: presents a map which connects 6000 families who are RBS

daviss: I see

vkn: all of his RBS

Ingrid_Doweary: Awesome.

daviss: He must have taken the courthouse home with him lol

Ingrid_Doweary: I kept missing my online genealogy classes last week. Was the lone ranger at work.

vkn: Background music is "The Love that I lost" by ???

daviss: the Four Tops

vkn: and the entire ancestry database daviss

daviss: online Gen class Ingrid? free

vkn: The music no words is great as derek narrates the story

daviss: I see

vkn: He tells story of white peeps and them telling story of slaves.

daviss: like the narratives

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes they are free-via my RootsMagic genealogy software application BFHG-Brentwood folks?

vkn: His ggg grandmother kept a notebook of family names for 4 generations and he relates them back to the slavemasters diary

daviss: no Ingrid This is a Gen Group from AZ How lucky for him vkn! thats wonderful

vkn: -30-

daviss: lol me too -30-

Ingrid_Doweary: :D lol

daviss: and with that I must say have a great rest of the MLK Day!

vkn: yall be good

daviss: bye folks

Ingrid_Doweary: Bye Daviss and Jhonoa. Bye 3rd.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy