Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-01-14 Lunch Bunch

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:52
End: 13:49:09
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, di, Ingrid_Doweary, ProfessorDru, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

ProfessorDru: hello gang

vkn: zzzzzzhowdy dru seventies 3rd

3rdthawkins: hello SS vkn ProDru you all beat daviss and alt in

vkn: Vicky h as other priorities today

3rdthawkins: ok, that may explain it for her

vkn: and I am hexagon tasking today

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn ProfessorDru and 3rd

3rdthawkins: I see vkn

ProfessorDru: Angela and I tried out a web conferencing software yesterday. I used it to demo something in PowerPoint, then I made her presenter and she was able to show me her computer screen. hello soulchile

Seventies Soulchild: what software did you all use?

3rdthawkins: using Skype? or Ichat? we have an imac and do it a lot with my bro who also has imac and we use Ichat

ProfessorDru: I have a 30 day trial version. vkn, perhaps we can use this tool this weekend to discuss chat software issue.

vkn: Dru that is good. I am still wanting to get the learning center demonstrated.

ProfessorDru: We used GoTo Meeting.

3rdthawkins: ok

vkn: I see

3rdthawkins: hello alt

ProfessorDru: 3rd, I have not tried skype or ichat yet.

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt

vkn: Howdy alt

ProfessorDru: howdy alt

alt: Hello 3rd, Seventies Soulchild Seventies Soulchild vkn How y'all be today?

vkn: I be okay

Seventies Soulchild: oh wonderful its all of 16 degrees.... lol but its not snowing so its all good :)

ProfessorDru: let me know what time you want to do a demo this weekend, vkn

3rdthawkins: good alt.............that is a good too ProDru, there's also another software to use also, allows you to control someone else's cpu from a remote location too-tool

ProfessorDru: yes, our it people use that to fix problems on our computers.

3rdthawkins: yep

ProfessorDru: its kinda of irry watching someone control your computer. lol

Seventies Soulchild: :}

3rdthawkins: lol yeah, but it's cool

Seventies Soulchild: What software does ancestry use for webinars?

vkn: Dru are you talking the addonchat for us to demo

ProfessorDru: It is, 3rd. I'm sure its a time saver also. yes, vkn. I have not been able to log in under my account. not sure soulchile, but it is something like the GoTo Meeting--same concept

Seventies Soulchild: okay.

vkn: I will give you a call later this day dru tell me what time and I need to find the mail I sent with the original how2

ProfessorDru: With GoTo Meeting, you can talk using either a computer microphone of a telephone. ok vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Ingrid_Doweary

vkn: Howdy Ingrid

3rdthawkins: hello Ingrid

ProfessorDru: gotta run

Ingrid_Doweary: Howdy Seventies, Vkn, Alt, ProfDru and 3rd.

alt: Hello Ingrid & di

3rdthawkins: hello di

vkn: howdy di

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Di.

di: good afternoon all

Seventies Soulchild: hello di

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry I missed ProfDut. ProfDut=ProfDru

3rdthawkins: well, everyone, I had a good conversation with my dad the other nite, was able to tell him a lot about his family history that he never knew before.

Ingrid_Doweary: Awesome, 3rd. How did he receive the information?

di: vkn i wanted to apologize. i think i have grown acustom to ads and news bloggs on the side of the homepage that i never realized it was links not ads for youtube and facebook. and also i rarely scroll thru the page since the tabs are at the top of the page

vkn: Congrats

alt: hmmn, that's an interesting 'reversal'of roles 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: very surprised to hear a lot of it, especially his parents being cousins, which he discovered was the family secret his sister was talking about, but she promised their mom she would never tell. He told me a lot about his upbringing, very interesting

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry 3rd, how did he take in the information?

vkn: Not a prob di btw here is the log for the chat of yesterday http://www.afrigeneas.com/chat/chatlogs.cgi/page/1/md/read/id/105/sbj/2011-01-13/

3rdthawkins: Ingrid_Doweary he was surprised to hear a lot of it, some of it he had a hunch about something, but just wasn't sure, his sister didn't want to tell him because she though he along with their other siblings would get upset. But he did not get upset, he was "okay" with it yes alt, his parents told him very little of their family life, of course trying to hide the family secret for one, and for another his father did not want them to know they were black or had black blood in them.

Ingrid_Doweary: Sounds good, 3rd. Was he able to add any new information with what you already? It sounds like he confirmed some information for you and vice versa.

3rdthawkins: well, just about his upbringing Ingrid_Doweary, it gave a more in depth look into his childhood and what really went on, and explained a lot to me, especially why he may be the person he is. Not to make excuses. I was told his father's mother had visited, I showed him some pictures of the family that was shared to me, and recognized his father's mother, saying that she came down for Christmas. Also, he recognized his mother's sister's name, and that she came down either Christmas or Thanksgiving. NOt sure if he knew how they were related though or if they were related

alt: yep, sounds like understanding may be the key... don't know anyone who was able to select their 'natural' parents... and/or the reasons they got married.

3rdthawkins: he was happy to see a photo of his mother when she was younger, he stated he never show a younger photo of her. Also showed him photo of his mother's sisters, and family on his father's side. He was just amazed at the family history. He grew up thinking his mother was white, I explained she was not, he said his sister was trying to explain that to him but couldn't understand it because his dad did not like black people. But his mother was not prejudice at all never show-never saw

alt: 3rdthawkins,is your genealogy research helping you to become more 'objective' in your family discoveries? less subjective and possibly judgmental.

3rdthawkins: that explains alot regarding his mother, because of the records that I have seen and the stories I have heard of her, she was ok. He would bring his black girlfriends in the back door so they could meet his mother. yes alt, I like to understand people, doesn't have to do with genealogy, just want to understand nature, things happen and they happen for a reason, I am not as judgmental of my father as I could be, just makes me wanna do better and when I have children make sure I don't allow them to make the same mistakes.

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow, that's heavy-3rd.

alt: that's a natural 'feeling' 3rdthawkins , to do better by your children than was done for you... regardless of the situation(s) and introducing Mom to girlfriends and vice versa says something about Mom & the girlfriends.

3rdthawkins: right alt, but understanding the why, why he was the way he was, I believe the lack of a real father and male figure in his life, his dad was just concern with being white oppose to being black, not with being a man and taking care of your responsibilities. It was more accolades and achievements, things like that

alt: I guess that can be an all consuming trait/obession white vs Black

vkn: alt and 3rd I opt for doing different 'better' is loaded

alt: very true vkn, good option and choice of words

3rdthawkins: or maybe the opposite vkn you're right that's why I hesitate in saying better, but that is for a lack of "better" (no pun intended) word it's not about being better, just not repeating those same mistakes or actions or attitudes nobody's perfect

alt: 3rdthawkins, my ftaher died when I was 11 y/o... so for some pretty important years (teens) I had no male figure in the house, but was fortunate enough to have friends who had older brothers and then the men in my church provided strong male role models too... So community can be as much of an influence as 'home'.

3rdthawkins: I am also curious as to blindness, because he has nightblindness, neither of his parents had it, two siblings of his had it, I am legally blind in left eye, so he even mention that his parents being cousins may have something to do with it

vkn: Who designed the standards, the expectations and where is Parents University

3rdthawkins: true alt, I think my older siblings was that in one way or another right vkn

alt: children vkn, children LOL LOL LOL

vkn: lol alt

alt: hello daviis,you made it

daviss: hello peeps!

vkn: heyyyyy daviss

daviss: yes lol

3rdthawkins: I'm not gonna make excuses for him vkn, he has a problem, definitely, and that is the reason why he was not and cannot be there,. But human nature is human nature, and when you don't have anyone there to teach you, it's hard to be the best you could and should be hello daviss

daviss: dang alt still tiny words on screen

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Daviss, great to see you :)

daviss: hello there Ms Ingrid

alt: try the 'settings icon daviss .. Font size

daviss: checking sheesh trying 12

vkn: Try 16 daviss

daviss: ahah! whew lol thanks

Ingrid_Doweary: Glad you joined us.

daviss: I thought I was going to have to put my eyes on the screen for a min there

vkn: lol

Ingrid_Doweary: lol lol

alt: happy we found the secret daviss

daviss: and I surely thank you scrolling back on conv

alt: wb di

daviss: Are you married 3rd?

3rdthawkins: no

daviss: ok hi di

di: hi

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

daviss: hello AYWalton!

AYWalton: Hope you are all fine, today.

3rdthawkins: hello AYwalton

alt: hello AYWalton, how are ya today?

AYWalton: hi 3rd doing well alt, and you?

alt: okay thanks

AYWalton: howdy daviss, di, Ingrid. Greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alt: grumpy as ever LOL lOL

AYWalton: lol sorry to hear that Grumpy alt!

3rdthawkins: he's a old man, so....

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AY! Be nice, :)

vkn: Well yall Alonzo is in Lausanne Switzerland for month of January

alt: vacation or on tour?

vkn: mighty fancy digs http://www.brp.ch/uk/index.php Making a ballet alt

daviss: I finally got the people at the Masonic Lodge to answer the phone on wednesday. After talking to them, I sent them an email requesting information on whether my grand uncle and great grandfather were Masons

alt: wonderful vkn... now we have an 'international' star, that's great!!!!

vkn: howdy AYW

daviss: so far no reply but I am still hopeful

alt: okay daviss, that might be all they can do for you too... Yes they were Mason's, the degree and the Lodge they belonged to.

Ingrid_Doweary: WB Di, What's happenin'?

vkn: howdy di wb did you get log

alt: did th uncle & g father have Masonic services at their funerals?

di: yes i have to reclick on it b/c my internet went out for a min there

Ingrid_Doweary: Great question, Alt. Of course you knew that already.

daviss: I got the yes for my great grand mother and the address of the local person who was their matron but of course the letter came back lol

di: i am enjoying researching again without stress! I am working on someone else tree. all they asked is one generation more than they knew. I finished that in an hour and have just been digging for past week!

daviss: They records were kept locally

alt: that's good di,, other folks research can help to hone your skills.

vkn: Once upon a time there was a resource for lost mail. Is there still such a location alt ayw may be a resource for daviss

alt: dunno if the P O still has a lost letter service vkn.

daviss: I am thinking that since my gr grandmother was an Eastern Star her hubby was a Mason

di: yes this is fun because they lived in philadelphia for a few decades and they worked in steel mills and ship yards and served in the the military. more records to learn to research! were all lodges apart of the mason/ eastern star?

vkn: "May have been..."

alt: Someone was daviss for her to be an Eastern Star... hubby, father, gfather, etc.

Ingrid_Doweary: I can appreciate that Daviss. Di what has been the challenge for you?

daviss: well my grand was deceased in the early 50's vkn so I doubted anyway that the addy would have been good

di: which challenge?

alt: depends di... a couple of Masonic Orders.. Prince Hall & Affiliated Free Masons are the "main' Order.

daviss: I was hoping I could have gotten an application that was filled out

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry, I that a challenge was making your research drag on.

alt: dunno about that daviss.. an application

di: alt I asked because my grandparents went to "lodge meetings" and one of them was the secretary for it. The briefcase of notes may still be in the closet.

daviss: especially way back then huh alt

Ingrid_Doweary: Wouldn't the Masonic HQ have those forms, Daviss?

vkn: di perhaps we can get you involved with the schatzman-murdock project. they lived in allegheny county

daviss: no, they told me that the records would have been kept locally

alt: even today daviss, I think you have to be 'sponosored' for membership, you don't just ask to join

di: Ingrid_Doweary my issues are drawn out. i am sort of at some brick walls that require some out of state trips. i have an individual who disappeared. just normal stuff. missing for a decade. can't find before certain dates....

vkn: di other surnames are PROVIDENCE

di: vkn what is that ?

Ingrid_Doweary: I can very well appreciate that, Di.

vkn: di I understood you to say you had time to research other your own

alt: AfriGeneas on FaceBook... great photos... I saw one last night of 4 generations of a Rockwell Family from Chicago.. turns out that family is in my TP database from the 1850's.

di: ok i will take a crack at it

vkn: wow alt

alt: yes vkn.. and a couple of Rockwell's married into my Adams lines in the 1860's & the 1880's.

di: vkn is the info on the forum?

vkn: congrats 3rd on your research findings

daviss: at least I got the name and verified that my grgrandmother was a Star via her addy

3rdthawkins: thank you vkn

alt: that's progress daviss..

daviss: yes

vkn: Not as yet di will need your mail addy vkn@afrigeneas.com

3rdthawkins: vkn, I was reading a post on the Townsend, Thomas Townsend, was very interesting, someone had posted two messages, and it lead me to the whole thread from 2004 to the present. very good info, I was hoping it would lead me to my great grandfather Thomas/Tom Townsend, but doesn't seem like it did. Would like to more more about Townsends from MS to Texas (Panola Co.) would like to know more about Townsends from MS to Texas.... or found out more find

vkn: Much documentation is available on Townsend VA KY GA SC FL MS AL OH in that order 3rd

3rdthawkins: ok, none in TX? Mainly my 3rd gr grandfather William Townsend stated in census he was born in MS, but he states his parents were from SC

vkn: associated name GIVENS GIBBONS

3rdthawkins: haven't seen any of those names, have seen Strother his wife's "maiden" name

vkn: AYW isnt Sedalia STROTHER

alt: AYW be's gone vkn :)

vkn: oops

3rdthawkins: his "daughter" also married a Strother

vkn: isnt Sedalia STROTHER via Alabama

di: ? has there been any scenarios where an individual was listed on two different census households for the same year. maybe one for the actual family and one for the family they worked for?

alt: often di....

daviss: AYWalton is not here

3rdthawkins: yes di, two individuals live with my Hughes family in 1870, one was enumerated twice that year, once living with his family under his family's name, and another living with my Hughes family under the name Hughes

vkn: also a landmark TOWNSEND probate case from Madison County Alabama where man left considerale estate to his half Black children and eventually they ended up in Ohio

Ingrid_Doweary: I wish I could find that scenario you inquired about Di, with my Martin Doweary ancestor of Carroll Co., MD.

alt: we have cases where kinfolk worked as 'live-in domestic's' they are listed with their employer and alsowith their oen personal family di.

vkn: Lots of those di

3rdthawkins: wonder if anyone has anything on Townsend migration towards the west vkn

daviss: vkn do you have any Patillos in your bama line

di: ---deep down i was hoping for a no LOl

3rdthawkins: lol di

vkn: Yes indeed daviss in my direct maternal line

alt: daviss, a college flame of mine was a Frances Patillo from Manassas, VA

Ingrid_Doweary: Oops. I loggedout by mistake.

daviss: what county vkn?

di: well i may have the scenario with the davis line i am searching. and i may have to do some digging with my own ancestor nero

vkn: In fact daviss Corrine Patillo is a BELL and she wrote the colored news for the Anniston Star

alt: di ,you see tha situation frequently when the male may have ben a butler/chaffuer and the female a 'maid'.

daviss: I will need to research the white side

vkn: Her husband was James Patillo daviss. The couple had the distinction of adopting a German Brown baby all those years ago.

daviss: interesting vkn.. Lady Bird Johnson's mother line is Patillo

vkn: Calhoun County daviss Choccolocco White Plains

di: well my friends family has women cooks, and laundress

alt: that fits di

daviss: not really sure if it were Autaunga Cty thugh

vkn: Yall be good

daviss: bye vkn

di: later vkn

3rdthawkins: bye vkn

daviss: well guess I will head out too take care

di: 3rd any luck with newspaper post

alt: from yesterday's discussion.. how many of you have looked at the AfriGeneas 'site map' from the Home Page?

3rdthawkins: nope di

di: alt i have not

3rdthawkins: not I alt, I just go straight to the forums

Ingrid_Doweary: I'll need to do a lot of catching up, Alt.

di: 3rd i will keep my fingers crossed someone calls u back

3rdthawkins: ok, thx di

alt: I ask because when you look at the AfriGeneas site map you get an idea of what all is on AfriGeneas... and thes 'imitator' sites like the one we discussed have nothing close to the AfriGeneas features.

Ingrid_Doweary: It's been real good folks. Cya next time.

3rdthawkins: di, saint anthony was suppose to get back with me, they had emailed me a couple weeks ago saying they were searching, but have yet to email me back. the Diocese of Charleston did not have anything either, could not find any records on her

alt: well I"m outa here,, hopefully we''ll see y'all tomorrow night

3rdthawkins: well, they do not have anything on teachers but students, the lady at DOC had contacted someone at St James, and stated they only have records for students ok alt

di: but you want pictures. right

3rdthawkins: yes

di: pictures are at the school house...u need someone in the church to get copies for you.

3rdthawkins: that's what I was hoping to get ok everyone I call seem to not even know or heard of her, I have yet to receive a call back from them you think your cousin could call, since she is more familiar with them? and see what she can do?

di: they are reconstructing the school house so finding who is in charge of putting the pics away is who u wnat to catch. i will talk to my cousin vernell and cousin barbara to see what they say about the pics.

di: and did you call st james?

3rdthawkins: yes, I have it's funny how people they don't know anything but they send you to someone they "think" knows, and that person doesn't know, so they send you to someone else THEY think knows. And that person says they will call back and doesn't

di: yeah it is that way sometime. i will see if i can get vernell phone number to see if maybe you can talk to her directly. she was excited to know you were looking for someone she knew.

di: well i gotta run

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy